Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2023) - G Dravyn "Dra" Gibbs-Lawhorn to Illinois

58 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

This kid is good. Illinois making MONEY moves.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Jakai Newton is now ranked higher.

Have you seen DGL play? I know that DGL is a talented offensive player and maybe he'll be really good, but he's really slight and has bounced around a lot.

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Have you seen DGL play? I know that DGL is a talented offensive player and maybe he'll be really good, but he's really slight and has bounced around a lot.

Wouldn't want him at IU because these kids that move school to school every year usually can't be counted on

Don't know anything about the kid, but it is important to remember that he is young and  easily influenced by outside people. We don't know who is in his ear or advising him. I'm always uncomfortable being negative about kids when we don't know what their circumstances are. I hope he finds what he needs. Personally, I think he probably should have stayed with Matt Painter.

Yeah, I’ve watched several games. he played for Montverde. He’s slight, and smaller, but he’s really quick. Confident, shooter. Jakai will be a much more physical guard. Jakai is a great get. DGL can play and shoot the rock. Was more or less the first guard off the bench and came out gunning. He was always impressive to me.

I do agree the loyalty thing and helicopter parents or whatever could be a concern but Underwood slays with identifying talent and I think if the attitude fits, this will be a strong addition for them. I wish Illinois still had Groce.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Yeah, I’ve watched several games. he played for Montverde. He’s slight, and smaller, but he’s really quick. Confident, shooter. Jakai will be a much more physical guard. Jakai is a great get. DGL can play and shoot the rock. Was more or less the first guard off the bench and came out gunning. He was always impressive to me.

I do agree the loyalty thing and helicopter parents or whatever could be a concern but Underwood slays with identifying talent and I think if the attitude fits, this will be a strong addition for them. I wish Illinois still had Groce.

Makes sense.

He’s the kind of shooting guard that needs an oversized point guard next to him. Would be a great pairing with a guy like Jalen Hood Schifino.

48 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Maybe. He can definitely play point. He’s fast and athletic. Is Sky Clarke a 1 and done candidate?

Skyy Clarke hasn’t played in over a year, and he was on Montverde then, where he did not play point.

I think he’s in for a rude awakening at least for the start of his freshman year.

23 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Maybe. He can definitely play point. He’s fast and athletic. Is Sky Clarke a 1 and done candidate?

Unlikely. He has to adjust to the college game while recovering from a knee injury. I think it'll be a rough season for him. 

On 9/30/2022 at 10:41 PM, Stuhoo said:

Skyy Clarke hasn’t played in over a year, and he was on Montverde then, where he did not play point.

I think he’s in for a rude awakening at least for the start of his freshman year.

Maybe I’m not the only one bearish on Illinois! They might be good but Kofi and Frazier were the sun moon and stars. Like some of the pieces, not sure I like the team.

11 minutes ago, lillurk said:

Maybe I’m not the only one bearish on Illinois! They might be good but Kofi and Frazier were the sun moon and stars. Like some of the pieces, not sure I like the team.

Matthew Mayer is way more 'famous mullet guy' than he is effective basketball player. Why people think him coming to Illinois is a big deal, yet Justice Sueing returning to OSU is less important, is beyond me.

For that matter, I'll take a healthy Bruce Thornton as my freshman point guard over Skyyyyy Clark coming off an ACL any day every way.

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Matthew Mayer is way more 'famous mullet guy' than he is effective basketball player. Why people think him coming to Illinois is a big deal, yet Justice Sueing returning to OSU is less important, is beyond me.

For that matter, I'll take a healthy Bruce Thornton as my freshman point guard over Skyyyyy Clark coming off an ACL any day every way.

Thornton is a Guy.