Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Name, Image & Likeness (NIL)

If I had TJD’s ear, I’d tell him that if you’re not going to get drafted in the first round, and your senior year team has a realistic chance to win it all, you stay because if he’s the captain that starts on a championship team, the money will roll in. 

1 hour ago, lillurk said:

There are more early entries than draft spots, guys play overseas or get contracts as undrafted rookies, and given they have to take summer classes to participate in summer workouts, most guys can finish undergrad in 3 years if they try…I wouldn’t bet on a fourth year, think @Chris007 said earlier this week it’s a non-starter

The same was true last year too, though. He didn’t have any plan to come back for a third year as two years was always the plan. Who knows if he’ll be back next year, but now that he can make money at IU, leaving to play in some foreign country thousands of miles away might not be as attractive. 

1 hour ago, lillurk said:

There are more early entries than draft spots, guys play overseas or get contracts as undrafted rookies, and given they have to take summer classes to participate in summer workouts, most guys can finish undergrad in 3 years if they try…I wouldn’t bet on a fourth year, think @Chris007 said earlier this week it’s a non-starter

I wouldn't bet on it either...but as others have said, it's a new paradigm now. If you can make decent money playing basketball, does it matter if it's in college? I'd say it's under 50%....but it's not 0 anymore either!

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Possible but it’s also possible now for boosters to outbid any nba or foreign offer in fact I bet TJD is making more money this year than some former Hoosiers playing overseas. Obviously a first rounder isn’t going to pass that up.  

How much money do you think he has to make to turn down a professional deal?

2 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Depends on the professional offer.  But he has to make the choice before he actually has the offer.  Guaranteed vs potential income   

Not saying it’s likely.  Currently he doesn’t appear poised to get drafted.  Hopefully he has a great year and that changes.

I’m just saying that it’s now possible for a booster who thinks a player could be the missing link to keep the team together.  

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Depends on the professional offer.  But he has to make the choice before he actually has the offer.  Guaranteed vs potential income   

Not saying it’s likely.  Currently he doesn’t appear poised to get drafted.  Hopefully he has a great year and that changes.

I’m just saying that it’s now possible for a booster who thinks a player could be the missing link to keep the team together.  

There is little chance he will make as much money at IU as he would oversees. How much is that bank contract worth that Stuhoo mentioned. I mean, the other kids are selling t-shirts/)

6 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

There is little chance he will make as much money at IU as he would oversees. How much is that bank contract worth that Stuhoo mentioned. I mean, the other kids are selling t-shirts/)

That is their revenue generating potential for companies.  

There’s literally nothing stopping a booster from hiring a player to come speak at some event. They get paid but generate no revenue.  That’s where kids are going to make the real money.  Because really it’s an excuse to just give players money.  

To bring this convo over to this topic.  In regards to a player like TJD getting paid to stay.  

An especially not highly rated recruited just passed up half a million to instead go to Purdue. Do you think he did that because he think Matt Painter is the guy to develop him to be a pro player?  

College basketball is the second biggest league.  Stars there will make more money than just about anybody except for first rounders in the NBA.  

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

To bring this convo over to this topic.  In regards to a player like TJD getting paid to stay.  

An especially not highly rated recruited just passed up half a million to instead go to Purdue. Do you think he did that because he think Matt Painter is the guy to develop him to be a pro player?  

College basketball is the second biggest league.  Stars there will make more money than just about anybody except for first rounders in the NBA.  

I was just asking last night to try to get an idea of what most people think the going rate will be for the great players at IU. Or to see if we are competing with schools. Merchant Bank gave TJD and Patberg a nice deal but it's not the money you would make playing Overseas, or in the G-League, or even in Overtime Elite. But it's just one deal of many I'm sure TJD will get, just not sure he will get many big deals. I think we're going to need more big boosters or business owners to step up. 

3 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I was just asking last night to try to get an idea of what most people think the going rate will be for the great players at IU. Or to see if we are competing with schools. Merchant Bank gave TJD and Patberg a nice deal but it's not the money you would make playing Overseas, or in the G-League, or even in Overtime Elite. But it's just one deal of many I'm sure TJD will get, just not sure he will get many big deals. I think we're going to need more big boosters or business owners to step up. 

Yeah, there’s absolutely no chance TJD will be making close to the amount of money that he could overseas. People that actually think that are dreaming. He can still make millions going to a top league overseas. Never gonna get that here

5 minutes ago, VO5 said:

Yeah, there’s absolutely no chance TJD will be making close to the amount of money that he could overseas. People that actually think that are dreaming. He can still make millions going to a top league overseas. Never gonna get that here

Millions, as in per year? I highly doubt he, or anyone else really, could make that kind of scratch overseas annually.

Players will not make the money from their revenue generating potential. They going to make money from boosters giving them wads of cash. Same way as it’s always been but now it’s legal. 

Bowen got 350,000 to play for Louisville a few years ago.  How many rookie players make that overseas.  

I think it’s hilarious A kid just turned down half a million dollars and chose college and people think it’s because he just really wants that college experience 

6 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

Millions, as in per year? I highly doubt he, or anyone else really, could make that kind of scratch overseas annually.

https://www.josecolorado.com/overseas-basketball-salaries

Outside of the US there is one league that pays on average millions.  And that’s average not for a rookie.  The vast majority of leagues you would hope to make 6 figures. 

8 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Players will not make the money from their revenue generating potential. They going to make money from boosters giving them wads of cash. Same way as it’s always been but now it’s legal. 

Bowen got 350,000 to play for Louisville a few years ago.  How many rookie players make that overseas.  

I think it’s hilarious A kid just turned down half a million dollars and chose college and people think it’s because he just really wants that college experience 

I hope it happens but I can say almost for sure that no one on the IU team has gotten a six-figure deal yet. Will one player get there with several deals maybe but as of now not close yet. 

3 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I hope it happens but I can say almost for sure that no one on the IU team has gotten a six-figure deal yet. Will one player get there with several deals maybe but as of now not close yet. 

It won’t happen till the opportunity to leave happens. But my guess is once players enter the draft pool.  My guess is offers will be arranged 

33 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

No, not per year. Six figures, which I don’t think TJD will hit here unless it’s in the low $100,000 range. He’d still be making more overseas

4 minutes ago, VO5 said:

No, not per year. Six figures, which I don’t think TJD will hit here unless it’s in the low $100,000 range. He’d still be making more overseas

Which is think is so faulty. We have already seen how much the free market values college studs.  350,000 for Bowen. What a million for Zion.  

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

Which is think is so faulty. We have already seen how much the free market values college studs.  350,000 for Bowen. What a million for Zion.  

That money came from shoe companies in the hopes that those highly ranked kids would sign with them once they hit the NBA. TJD is a fringe NBA player who doesn’t have that kind of value. 

12 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Well if he’s a second round pick which is very possible then he’d likely get a 2-way deal which is only around 500k and non guaranteed. 

54 minutes ago, VO5 said:

Not to mention, they still have to go to school. 

And yes everyone, I’m ready for the “lol UNC lol” jokes. At Indiana, they have to go to school.