Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

2023 General Recruiting Thread (BBall)

8 hours ago, DChoosier said:

I had a small hope that Duke might fall off after Coach K’s departure.  That might still happen but from a recruiting standpoint I just looked at 247 and Duke has 4 of the top 10 players in the country committed for 2022 (just crazy as that includes 3 of the top 4 ! ) and they already have 4 five star 2023 commitments. Will be interesting to see how Jon S does with that talent.

They should do well this year, it'll follow the Mike Davis, Kevin Ollie,, Bill Guthridge etc model.

Go to Championship, following a top coach departure (that didn't leave because the team sucked) win or lose and be fired soon after getting his own players. Hubert is up next and Jon S is on deck.

2 hours ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

They should do well this year, it'll follow the Mike Davis, Kevin Ollie,, Bill Guthridge etc model.

Go to Championship, following a top coach departure (that didn't leave because the team sucked) win or lose and be fired soon after getting his own players. Hubert is up next and Jon S is on deck.

Obviously who’s knows what will happen but 2023 is clearly Jon S’s class and already getting 4 five stars is a pretty good start. 

Booker - would love to get him. Don’t think we will.

KJ Evans- would love to get him, don’t think we will. 

1. Page- think we might get him and hope we do. 

2. TJ Power- would really like to get him. If not I want Coen Carr in this spot.

3. get one of (Stoyakovich, Dunlap, Kaiser)

12 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Booker - would love to get him. Don’t think we will.

KJ Evans- would love to get him, don’t think we will. 

1. Page- think we might get him and hope we do. 

2. TJ Power- would really like to get him. If not I want Coen Carr in this spot.

3. get one of (Stoyakovich, Dunlap, Kaiser)

We're going to have a minimum of four, and more likely five spots for 2023. We already have the two guards for the class. Malik R will be a key big for sure, and I would hope/expect that a sophomore Kaleb Banks will contribute at 6'8" as a defensive big, offense stretch. A junior Duncomb will need to contribute as a "true big," or else it's time to start questioning his value on the roster. That leaves us with:

• Given his extremely high talent ceiling and his high interest in us, I'd love to have an unfinished product like Coen Carr as one of the bigs. 
  • We will need at least one rim protector. Page (or Evans) would be fantastic. 
  • One frontcourt player that can shoot: Stoya, Power, Kaiser, Dunlap? All apparently excellent choices, though Dunlap seems like he might not be built to guard big, strong players.

10 minutes ago, mike vannice said:

I like the 5 man class of Cupps, Newton, Carr, Kaiser, and Page.

I think that’d be perfect:

Cupps replaces X

Kaiser replaces Kopp

Page replaces TJD

Carr replaces Race

Newton replaces a transfer or a surprise professional development (Geronimo or Bates?)

On 5/28/2022 at 12:17 AM, vemmeistars said:

Cupps replaces X

Kaiser replaces Kopp

Page replaces TJD

Carr replaces Race

Newton replaces a transfer or a surprise professional development (Geronimo or Bates?)

This doesn't strike me as a strong follow-up to the IU class of 2022. It would be nice to continue the momentum of 2022 with a couple more top 30 players--players who are or are bordering on 5-star players like Jalen Hood-Schifino and Malik Reneau.

1 hour ago, Honkyman said:

This doesn't strike me as a strong follow-up to the IU class of 2022. It would be nice to continue the momentum of 2022 with a couple more top 30 players--players who are or are bordering on 5-star players like Jalen Hood-Schifino and Malik Reneau.

Appears Booker and  Evans are our shots of more “elite” prospects currently.   Both highly unlikely.  Page and Power seem like next tier, but all others are similarly ranked albeit with Cupps dropping some.  When Duke continues to take 5 in the top 20 every season getting top 10 or 20 guys isn’t getting any easier or inexpensive. 

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Appears Booker and  Evans are our shots of more “elite” prospects currently.   Both highly unlikely.  Page and Power seem like next tier, but all others are similarly ranked albeit with Cupps dropping some.  When Duke continues to take 5 in the top 20 every season getting top 10 or 20 guys isn’t getting any easier or inexpensive. 

Coen Carr is up to #58 composite ranking, ahead of Power and Page.

1 hour ago, Honkyman said:

Well…those four players will leave high school collectively ranked significantly higher than the four departures.

And we’ll have multiple three borderline five stars still on the roster.

If talent develops we’ll be absolutely loaded.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Well…those four players will leave high school collectively ranked significantly higher than the four departures.

And we’ll have multiple three borderline five stars still on the roster.

If talent develops we’ll be absolutely loaded.

Yeah, I’m not complaining imo it would be a great class if it unfolded that way.  I’ve never been as high on Cupps as the others but I love his enthusiasm and will a big supporter or his. 

I need to watch more Page film.  (Love what I’ve seen so far). He seems like our best shot at a big and that is want I want most.  And a dynamic shooter/scorer. 

8 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Coen Carr is up to #58 composite ranking, ahead of Power and Page.

Yeah, my mistake on wording.  Dunlap, Kaiser in that general range as well.  Same with Mirro Little FWIw.  Lots of 50-70 range but imo based on what I’ve seen, I think Page and Power are most likely to climb future rankings. 

Stoyachavich is in the 30’s but I don’t consider us a legitimate landing spot here.  

13 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Yeah, my mistake on wording.  Dunlap, Kaiser in that general range as well.  Same with Mirro Little FWIw.  Lots of 50-70 range but imo based on what I’ve seen, I think Page and Power are most likely to climb future rankings. 

Stoyachavich is in the 30’s but I don’t consider us a legitimate landing spot here.  

Stacking a class that had 2 5 stars that are projected to stay multiple years with a class with multiple kids in the range of 40-80 is the way to build a contender.   A poster on the premium board broke down way better then I had ever saw someone research rankings ever do it.   Taking away the top 20 kids there is basically a sweet spot that national title contenders have their roster with a certain percentage of players within the I believe 40-80 range.  If IU landed those recruits for next year that would be a phenomenal class 

51 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Stacking a class that had 2 5 stars that are projected to stay multiple years with a class with multiple kids in the range of 40-80 is the way to build a contender.   A poster on the premium board broke down way better then I had ever saw someone research rankings ever do it.   Taking away the top 20 kids there is basically a sweet spot that national title contenders have their roster with a certain percentage of players within the I believe 40-80 range.  If IU landed those recruits for next year that would be a phenomenal class 

Yeah, have not seen the post you’re referring to but the multi-year players in the range from “solidly four-star” upwards are incredibly valuable.

Occasionally you get a Carmelo or Anthony Davis at the very top, or a Tyus Jones/Justice Winslow/Jahlil Okafor class with sophomore Grayson Allen. But in a lot of ways stacking talent is a volume game: if you’ve got ~8 or more top 75 players across multiple classes on a single roster, you can afford for some to take awhile to develop, others to underperform, etc., so long as you usually hit your evals, develop, and keep ‘em.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

those four players will leave high school collectively ranked significantly higher than the four departures.

Perhaps. However, none rank as high as the (by far) best departing player, TJD, who was a McDonald's All-American. If we're losing a McDonald's All American, better that the best player on the team can be replaced by an equally talented player. Maybe Evans or Booker will see that Woodson and IU are upgrading their talent and want to come. We'll see.

29 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

Perhaps. However, none rank as high as the (by far) best departing player, TJD, who was a McDonald's All-American. If we're losing a McDonald's All American, better that the best player on the team can be replaced by an equally talented player. Maybe Evans or Booker will see that Woodson and IU are upgrading their talent and want to come. We'll see.

You don’t need to bring in a player as good as your departing player.  Not if you have people on the bench.  Only if you are doing the one and done model do your departures have to be as good as your incoming class