Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hoosierfan2017

Extend Tom Allen

1 minute ago, HoosierAloha said:

Why do people bring what they read on twitter or other social media platforms on here to argue against? There are a few people on here who think the 8-4 record is just okay but the majority are ecstatic with the season.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Okay I will take Twitter and other sites out of it there’s still people on this board who at the beginning of the season wanted to see a bowl....wanted us to win the games we should...thought we’d get beat in Nebraska and possibly blow it against Maryland. Becuase that’s what past teams and coaches including CTA have done. Once we hit a bowl and then the next two wins....we are back to this team still hasn’t beat a major team...let’s wait til we do that....so I’ll stick to why I’ve seen on here and read on here. It’s like some on here want us to be bad so they can be right and wag their fingers and say I told you so. I’m sorry I’m passionate about IU football. 

Which kinda proves my point  that weak schedules can be fools gold.

But it’s not. Everyone is completely aware of the fact that we only beat teams with a losing record AND YET...

that is still exceeding expectations for one of the worst FBS programs in history. 8 wins at Indiana means you’re the man and on track to be the greatest coach we’ve ever had, without exaggeration. Is that a testament to the strength and performance of this team? Well, sort of, but it says far more about how awful this program has always been.

If Tom Allen continues recruiting like he is for 5 more years, I’m confident he will be considered the most successful coach in Indiana football history. Just go look at where this program has been. Even the seemingly good times were short lived.

You don’t give a 6 year extension unless you have to (aka FSU actually offered). You give him 3 more years and a large raise. You don’t do that because this year was a weak schedule. You do that because it just makes sense to see if he can create continuous success before chaining yourself to him.

If CTA makes another bowl next year, I’d strongly consider another extension and raise. Next year’s schedule is definitely harder.

Okay I will take Twitter and other sites out of it there’s still people on this board who at the beginning of the season wanted to see a bowl....wanted us to win the games we should...thought we’d get beat in Nebraska and possibly blow it against Maryland. Becuase that’s what past teams and coaches including CTA have done. Once we hit a bowl and then the next two wins....we are back to this team still hasn’t beat a major team...let’s wait til we do that....so I’ll stick to why I’ve seen on here and read on here. It’s like some on here want us to be bad so they can be right and wag their fingers and say I told you so. I’m sorry I’m passionate about IU football. 

You should never be sorry about your passion man. I love your intel in recruiting and some of the behind the scenes stuff. We need more passionate fans like you!

It’s just weird, not only this topic but a few others, that seem to come out of nowhere from another site. The “fans” are like that with much more than IU football. It’s crazy how they rarely show up when things are good but always seem to be around when things are bad.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

You have to go back to the 40s to find a coach with a better winning percentage than TA and people want to give him a half baked extension. Freakin unbelievable. 

That would be like Archie winning a national championship and only getting an extra year because he hasn’t won two like Branch and Bobby 

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

You have to go back to the 40s to find a coach with a better winning percentage than TA and people want to give him a half baked extension. Freakin unbelievable. 

That would be like Archie winning a national championship and only getting an extra year because he hasn’t won two like Branch and Bobby 

I don't think Alford is arguing for a half-baked extension. I do think he's merely pointing out that we shouldn't expect 8 wins next year given the schedule, which is fair. Why he's arguing it in a thread about extending him is throwing everyone, including me, off a bit. 

I think the right move is a 3 year extension, but in all honesty, I really wouldn't be upset if he got 6 years. I think it's 60/40 that we make a bowl next year as well given the schedule.

The optics are important. Selling an 8 - 4 season on the recruiting trail is much better than what we had in the past. Showing progress, no matter how we got there, is important in the bigger picture. We can't get better until we recruit better and we can't recruit better until we show that we are getting better. It's a viscous circle and we've been trapped in it forever. This season gives us a chance to ask better kids to give Indiana a second look. Will it pay dividends? I'm not smart enough to answer that. But I know what the past has been and that definitely didn't work. I say give Allen the benefit of the doubt and invest in him and his staff. What do we really have to lose at this point.

1 minute ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

I don't think Alford is arguing for a half-baked extension. I do think he's merely pointing out that we shouldn't expect 8 wins next year given the schedule, which is fair. Why he's arguing it in a thread about extending him is throwing everyone, including me, off a bit. 

I think the right move is a 3 year extension, but in all honesty, I really wouldn't be upset if he got 6 years. I think it's 60/40 that we make a bowl next year as well given the schedule.

I’d go 4 years but semantics really. I like our chances for a bowl pretty well. 

4 almost guaranteed wins.  Non conference and Rutgers  

Then 2 of Purdue, Illinois, MSU and Maryland.  But I believe all 4 of those are in Bloomington which should help  

Dont really think terms of the extension matter all that much. It will at a minimum be a nice pay raise and long enough to have no impact on recruiting. It wont be something so outrageous that we couldnt fire him if he didnt preform.

I think everyone agrees Allen deserves extension/raise. Will only help with recruiting, which is key to continuing to build on the success. We have gotten some good athletes but still need to raise it a level and work on adding to our depth. 

I am skeptical about the defensive coordinator. Really wish we had put similar money into that position as the offensive coordinator. Just look at what Deboer has been able to do. You get what you $$$ pay. 

I would hate for IU and its football program to lose out on any momentum with the program, even if perceived. After that Purdue game, and most of the year frankly, I want to see a DC brought in worth his weight, and a raise for Allen and his assistants. I'd hate to lose Hart and the OC.

Michigan St appears to be treading water with Dantonio. Harbaugh has Michigan where they are and possibly lose their luster if he continues to be unable to solve OSU. Rutgers may need some facilities undertaken before Schiano gets Rutgers to par, if ever. Going cheap again and not ponying up in terms of staff raisers, facilities, or whatever it might be wouldn't be a great sign to me - and I'm not sure I'd get more confident about that basketball program moving forward if the football program isn't taken care of in what's been a fantastic season. Just do the right thing Glass and IU. I'm sure it will happen but I'm hoping for the moon I'd expect.

With MSU down, we could realistically move into the perennial fourth place position in the East. We're already there this year and threatened PSU. If we do that again next year, we've struck gold. Start winning a game a year between PSU or UM? That's the next step. Right now, beating OSU would take a miracle (one that Purdue experienced). They're the new Bama of late.

This place has turned into the Twitter of Indiana fan forums (not in a good way). Lol 

I’m happy with IUFB. Clearly steps in the right direction. Awesome season even with tons of injuries. I’ve always liked Tom Allen, the man, I’m starting to like Tom Allen, the coach.

Why, so many can be negative about IUFB is beyond me after this season.

I mean you didn’t float away from basketball as much as others or repeatedly call him a high school coach. My favorite looking back was Joe putting Charlie Strong on his list of replacements about two months ago. The same Charlie Strong that was fired.

I mean you didn’t float away from basketball as much as others or repeatedly call him a high school coach. My favorite looking back was Joe putting Charlie Strong on his list of replacements about two months ago. The same Charlie Strong that was fired.

Can’t leave any rock unturned. Can we hire him as an assistant?