Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

Bracketology and Team Resumes

24 minutes ago, Gnet550 said:

Look at our losses- (I get they were ugly but) Top 5 Kansas, top 5 UCONN, top 20 Auburn,

Auburn-NET-7 

UConn- NET-8

Kansas-NET-15

@Nebraska-NET-46

@Rutgers-NET-92

3 Q1a losses 

1 Q1b road loss  

1 Q2a road loss

That’s what the committee sees with IU losses.    Just have to take care a business  at home and have to beat Penn St on the road and 1 or 2 more road games    Very manageable but you never know 

1 hour ago, Uspshoosier said:

Auburn-NET-7 

UConn- NET-8

Kansas-NET-15

@Nebraska-NET-46

@Rutgers-NET-92

3 Q1a losses 

1 Q1b road loss  

1 Q2a road loss

That’s what the committee sees with IU losses.    Just have to take care a business  at home and have to beat Penn St on the road and 1 or 2 more road games    Very manageable but you never know 

Does the committee look at margin of victory? Our efficiency rankings suffer because we get blown out.   

Also, we have Purdue, WI, MSU and Illinois at yet. Taking care of business at home is a long shot. That’s why I was hoping we’d win more than one of our early season road games against bad teams. I think 2-2 against the above 4 is more realistic and in that scenario we need to rack up some more road wins, no?

4 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Does the committee look at margin of victory? Our efficiency rankings suffer because we get blown ou

Not as a whole no they don’t really look at that.  Each committee member may value its importance differently but there is no set point that margin of victory gets looked at.   When I did my mock draft way back in the RPI days they were more worried about where the games were played instead of margin of score.   Probably the committee member in charge of B1G games will point it out and give more info on why they got beat badly but most members are just looking at the sheet.  

IU moved up 6 spots to 95 in the NET(their best rating of the year).  Next home against 3 and road games against 11 and 12.   By the end of next week IU will have played 3, 7, 8, 11, 12 and 16 with only 2 of those being at home.   I’m sure some of those numbers might change but that’s tough sledding for a bubble team 

1 minute ago, Uspshoosier said:

IU moved up 6 spots to 95 in the NET(their best rating of the year).  Next home against 3 and road games against 11 and 12.   By the end of next week IU will have played 3, 7, 8, 11, 12 and 16 with only 2 of those being at home.   I’m sure some of those numbers might change but that’s tough sledding for a bubble team 

If you prefer KenPom then they will have played 3,4,5,10,11 and 19 

On 1/13/2024 at 11:00 AM, HoosierHoopster said:

This may be a year where we need to show well in the B1G tourney 

I don't know....when IU beat Michigan and Illinois and then played Iowa down to the end, the committee didn't seem to put much value into it and IU as one of the final two in.  Seems they might value the first game in the tourney but after that they don't look too much.

3 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I don't know....when IU beat Michigan and Illinois and then played Iowa down to the end, the committee didn't seem to put much value into it and IU as one of the final two in.  Seems they might value the first game in the tourney but after that they don't look too much.

Yeah I remember that, fair point. But the way this season is going and how the team looks so far, it may be our best chance (unless we get some good signature W’s in conference).

Dropped 4 spots to 102 after  the home loss to Purdue.   Only dropping 4 spots after a 21 pt loss shows how big of gap there is between the top level teams compared to where IU is currently.  Plenty of threads and the rant the rant thread to voice everyone’s opinion of where this IU team is.     I’m going to lay out the math and path ahead.   Despite my feelings for this team, how it’s constructed and coached there is still a very doable path to make the tourney.  

IU is a fringe bubble team and will be a bubble team at best moving forward.   Wins against upper tier teams or road games against tournament quality teams shouldn’t be expected.   The most important games moving forward should be home games against other B1G bubble team teams and road games against Penn St, Maryland and Minny.   Right now the B1G has 3 sure fire tournament teams Purdue, Wisky and Illinois.   Any win against them should be looked at as bonus games.    Ohio St, Northwestern, Sparty, Nebraska and Iowa are the games that IU needs to win.  

No matter how IU got to this position is irrelevant now it is what it is.   Everyone of us wanted them to be competing for a protected seed.    That  clearly didn’t happen.   All they have shown  is they can’t compete with the top teams this year.   Not saying they can’t in the future but for this year it wasn’t in the cards 

IU has lost to 3 projected 1 seeds at the top of the bracket and another top 3 projected seed.    Add in 2 other road losses against top 100 teams and math adds up to a bubble team.   Why is there a path?  Because IU won’t be competing with UConn, Purdue, Kansas or even Auburn for a spot.    Right now South Carolina is projected into the field.  These will be the type of teams IU will be compared to.   I could post their resume but I think you guys get my point.    Again not where people wanted this team to be but here we are and that is the path

5 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Dropped 4 spots to 102 after  the home loss to Purdue.   Only dropping 4 spots after a 21 pt loss shows how big of gap there is between the top level teams compared to where IU is currently.  Plenty of threads and the rant the rant thread to voice everyone’s opinion of where this IU team is.     I’m going to lay out the math and path ahead.   Despite my feelings for this team, how it’s constructed and coached there is still a very doable path to make the tourney.  

IU is a fringe bubble team and will be a bubble team at best moving forward.   Wins against upper tier teams or road games against tournament quality teams shouldn’t be expected.   The most important games moving forward should be home games against other B1G bubble team teams and road games against Penn St, Maryland and Minny.   Right now the B1G has 3 sure fire tournament teams Purdue, Wisky and Illinois.   Any win against them should be looked at as bonus games.    Ohio St, Northwestern, Sparty, Nebraska and Iowa are the games that IU needs to win.  

No matter how IU got to this position is irrelevant now it is what it is.   Everyone of us wanted them to be competing for a protected seed.    That  clearly didn’t happen.   All they have shown  is they can’t compete with the top teams this year.   Not saying they can’t in the future but for this year it wasn’t in the cards 

IU has lost to 3 projected 1 seeds at the top of the bracket and another top 3 projected seed.    Add in 2 other road losses against top 100 teams and math adds up to a bubble team.   Why is there a path?  Because IU won’t be competing with UConn, Purdue, Kansas or even Auburn for a spot.    Right now South Carolina is projected into the field.  These will be the type of teams IU will be compared to.   I could post their resume but I think you guys get my point.    Again not where people wanted this team to be but here we are and that is the path

Do you believe that if we can win one of the next two that we would be back at least in the discussion?

1 minute ago, hoopsta007 said:

Do you believe that if we can win one of the next two that we would be back at least in the discussion?

Easily.   Road win at a top 16NET team will definitely move them up into the discussion.   No Q3 losses to go along with the couple of Q2 wins they already have and add a road Q1a win would move the needle 

Stayed at 99 after the road loss to Wisky.   

11games left against Q1 and 2.  1 Q3 game left.     Opportunities are still there.   IUs post season starts with homes games against Iowa and Penn St.   they have already shown they can’t compete with upper level teams (1 close game against Kansas).   They are 0-3 against projected 1 seeds and 0-2 against projected 2 and 3 seeds.   0-6 against projected tourney teams.     By not picking off an upper tier team they will have to go perfect against other bubble teams and the bottom of the bracket tourney teams.   Can’t lose to Penn st in either game 

2 minutes ago, Rico said:

My new favorite team.

You know it's bad when ISU has a team better coached, prepared and frankly much better overall than IU. This should never happen under ordinary circumstances, yet here we are. We're not even a top 2 team in the state. You can make an argument top 3.

7 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

You know it's bad when ISU has a team better coached, prepared and frankly much better overall than IU. This should never happen under ordinary circumstances, yet here we are. We're not even a top 2 team in the state. You can make an argument top 3.

I hear you but there are plenty of threads dedicated to IUs crappy showing that you can post in however this thread isn’t one of them.  This one focuses on teams resume and bracketology regardless of how IU is preforming.