Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

2022 General Recruiting Thread (Bball)

3 hours ago, IUBBx5Banners said:

Sheesh! I’ve been catching up on the videos out there...and I really like this kid. He  reminds me of Dominic James (if anyone here remembers him).

I could see how he might not fit what Archie wants out of his PG. He can get a little ball dominant and will need to improve game management/ facilitating aspect of the PG position. But damn if I don’t love this kids confidence.  

Outside shot results are inconsistent but already has shown deep range. Catch and shoot seems quick and natural. Quick first step & doesn’t seem afraid of drawing contact despite size. 

Remember seeing James in person and being disappointed he wasn't coming to IU

On 3/27/2020 at 10:49 AM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

More background on Bruce Thornton.  Also played WR on the football team.      (Is it obvious that I'm bored?)

Rivals

Verbal Commits

Hudl

Yes, I quoted myself to help keep the Thornton info in one place in the event his recruitment does take off.  

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-names-to-know-2022-point-guard-bruce-thornton/?fbclid=IwAR1jwkiqPq5IxoGd5UmsWYFi0MJSkja8_38p5YYyEdK4LBqVReWxOkaKqzk

Isaac McKneely SG from Poca, WV.

Rivals

HUDL

Corey Evans - Basketball Recruiting

In the coming weeks, we will be looking at several under-the-radar prospects that were primed to use the travel circuit to boost their recruiting stock this summer. Now, with grassroots basketball on hold as a result of the coronavirus pandemic, these prospects may not get the exposure in the coming months as they would have otherwise.

Today, we take a look at Isaac McKneely.

WHO IS HE?

A native of Poca, West Virginia, Isaac McKneely just completed his sophomore season for his local Poca High School unit. They finished the year at 21-3 overall and made their way to its regional championship game before the season was canceled due to the coronavirus. McKneely averaged 22 points per game this past winter, all while making 45-percent of his 3-point attempts.

A 6-foot-4 scoring guard that can also play on the ball in spurts, McKneely was slated to play with the Wildcats Select 16-under team this spring and summer on the adidas circuit.

His travel coach Tom Droney, believes the best is to come with McKneely and that he personifies all that is an all-around guard does in today’s game. “Isaac is a long and lanky 2-guard who is proficient at shooting the basketball. He has great feet and shot preparation, with the ability to make shots coming off down-screen and curl-screens,” Droney said. “He has a smooth handle and is a capable secondary facilitator. As he continues to get physically stronger, his game will continue to grow and expand.”

McKneely has already led a fairly impressive recruitment without the need of a junior travel season, though the next few months were ones that should have seen some of the better east coast programs offer.

However, just last week, West Virginia offered McKneely, one that has been difficult for other in-state prospects to turn down. “It means a lot for sure, especially because it’s my home state, and they’re a really great program,” he said. “They’re definitely one of my favorites right now.”

He did say that he is wide open with things and in no rush to end his recruitment. His offer list also includes Davidson, Liberty, Marshall, Robert Morris, Stetson and Xavier. The others showing interest at this time are Cincinnati, Dayton, Indiana, Ohio State, Virginia and Virginia Tech. He has taken unofficial visits to Davidson, Indiana, Liberty, Marshall, Ohio State, Virginia, WVU and Xavier within the past year.

WHY I LIKE HIM

McKneely has already drawn a great following within his area in West Virginia but the word is beginning to get out about the intriguing sophomore guard.

My first look at him and my immediate thought was that he reminds me of a younger Tyler Herro. Each display a tremendous mid-range game, confidence in their ability to score the basketball but also the impressive feel and intellect in which they can see tiny holes within the defense and deliver accurate, precise passes off of the bounce.

Possessing great length and a pace for the game, McKneely is a clear-cut high-major guard and a likely Rivals150 prospect sooner rather than later. In an age where shot making and guard versatility is the ultimate ingredient to success, the sophomore will be a heavily recruited target over the next two years.

A member of the 2022 class, if it wasn’t for the coronavirus and the ban on travel basketball this spring, I would have expected for his offer list to have only expanded this month. Instead, he will have to wait before soon breaking out nationally in which he looks to be one of the most well-around guards out east.

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Julian Norris - Evansville Bosse.  Possible name to know in the '22 class.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-class-of-2022-names-to-know-in-state-guard-julian-norris/

Thanks for sharing!

Wow - 48.3% from 3 on nearly 4 attempts per game for a sophomore is no joke, regardless of comp

Alec Lasley @allasley

Still a lot of time to go, but a few under-the-radar names w/out an offer to keep an eye on for #iubb in 2022:

Braden Smith

Julian Norris

Will Lovings-Watts

Isaac McKneely

OF NOTE:  None of these represent a new name to lists put forth by others of '22 targets.  Whether they're higher on the pecking order of targets is over my pay grade.

Another possible name we may hear more of in the '22 class.  Pete Suder a 6'4" guard from Carmel HS.

As a sophomore Suder averaged 11.2 points per contest while shooting 47 percent from the field overall, including 38 percent from behind the arc.  The 6-foot-4 Suder made 72 percent of his attempts from the free throw line.  Suder also contributed 6.6 rebounds, 2.1 steals and 1.9 assists in about 27 minutes per contest.

Full background story:  https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-class-of-2022-names-to-know-in-state-guard-peter-suder/?fbclid=IwAR3r5asu2Qh7lcIoYG7ByD3UoIimIpoG2f9914fW2pxJCXnXJZixdLHYc34

HUDL

Kyle Filipowski 6'10" from Wilbraham and Monson Academy in Wilbraham, MA.   He averaged 20.1 points, 10.5 rebounds, and 1.0 block per game while shooting 55 percent from the floor overall including 35.4 percent from three-point range.  

New England Recruiting Report ranks him #5 in the New England '22 class and #2 in Massachusetts.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-class-of-2022-names-to-know-kyle-filipowski/?fbclid=IwAR22vvhNeTdQlxeg8tjxuC03OweeR52Ebj8oCX1axPRl-zZi4Vxrbr57-BI

MaxPreps

Kyle Filipowski 6'10" from Wilbraham and Monson Academy in Wilbraham, MA.   He averaged 20.1 points, 10.5 rebounds, and 1.0 block per game while shooting 55 percent from the floor overall including 35.4 percent from three-point range.  
New England Recruiting Report ranks him #5 in the New England '22 class and #2 in Massachusetts.
https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-class-of-2022-names-to-know-kyle-filipowski/?fbclid=IwAR22vvhNeTdQlxeg8tjxuC03OweeR52Ebj8oCX1axPRl-zZi4Vxrbr57-BI
MaxPreps

Great name!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

From Alex Lasley:  Jameel Brown 6'2" PG from Haverford School in Haverford, PA.  No stats on MaxPreps.  Plays AAU for Team Final on the Nike circuit (when there is one).

https://indiana.rivals.com/news/2022-guard-jameel-brown-sparking-early-interest-from-indiana

HUDL

Background

Alec Lasley on '22 Bruce Thornton PG from Milton, GA.  

When Archie Miller took over the Indiana program four years ago, he vowed to take back the state of Indiana and win when it came to in-state recruitments. That he has done. He hasn't, however, forgotten about recruiting out of the state of Indiana.

One of those out of state targets that Archie Miller is keeping tabs on is 2022 guard Bruce Thornton (Milton, GA). While Indiana has been in constant contact with the Georgia native, Archie Miller has yet to extend an offer to the four-star guard.

Thornton is already an extremely sought-after prospect for many high-major programs as he has nearly a dozen offers following his sophomore season. Ranked as the 4th best point guard in the 2022 class, Thornton continues to hear from programs such as Indiana, Purdue, Xavier, Iowa State, Cincinnati, UConn, Virginia Tech, Florida State and the majority of the SEC.

For Thornton's high school coach, however, Allen Whitehart sees him as a perfect fit for one conference.

"He plays like a Big Ten lead guard," Whitehart told TheHoosier.com. "He is definitely elite."

As for Big Ten programs in contact with Thornton, Indiana and Purdue sit alone for now but the Hoosiers are an ideal fit for his style of play says Whitehart.

"He fits like a glove," Whitehart added "He really seems to like them [Indiana] and what they are saying. It will be interesting to see where it goes."

Whitehart noted that most of Thornton's communication with Indiana has been with Archie Miller but has had some contact with Mike Roberts as well.

Indiana has five offers out to the class of 2022 but two of them are point guards. With increased interest in Thornton, it is clear Archie Miller sees a need at the position with the possibility of Khristian Lander reclassifying and leaving after his sophomore year. Because of that, he would need a big time playmaker to step in from day one and lead the team. According to Whitehart, that is where Thornton excels.

"He leads on and off of the court. First in the gym and last out and is a coaches dream," Whitehart said. "He just loves to compete."

"It's all about winning with him," Whitehart added. "Stats don't matter to him as long as he wins."

That winning mentality and competitiveness are what separate him from other players in his class. The stats that come with those intangibles are just an added boost. Doing whatever it takes to win, Thornton averaged 6.2 rebounds and 6.6 assists per game, with a 3.9 assist-to-turnover ratio last year. That control of the game is what sticks out when watching him.

"He is extremely efficient and controls the game from every angle," Whitehart said. "He controls the game like Chris Paul. His IQ is amazing."

Thornton led Milton HS to a 26-5 record in 2019 while averaging 23.4 points per game. He was also extremely efficient shooting 53 percent from the field, 36 percent from three and 88 percent from the free-throw line.