Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Dude this hire is being universally praised. Like, no one other than you is complaining.  He is an awesome coach. And I think that makes him the second highest paid coach in the conference.

Lol he has no clue on this. He just wants to manufacture reasons to ***** about Glass.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Fred is doing a good job. His only mistake was hiring Allen without a coaching search. He might be OK there but it remains to be seen.
Back on subject. Really excited about Mercer.

For sure fair. I like what Allen is doing but that hire was rushed.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

This is an A+ hire for IU baseball. I wanted either Wright or Duncan.  I really believe we upgraded coaches as a few have mentioned.

Glass has made a few mistakes most notably keeping Crean too long. But he has made two great hires now in Archie and Wright imo. 

Wright? 

9 hours ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

This is an A+ hire for IU baseball. I wanted either Wright or Duncan.  I really believe we upgraded coaches as a few have mentioned.

Glass has made a few mistakes most notably keeping Crean too long. But he has made two great hires now in Archie and Wright imo. 

Absolutely agree with this on so many levels.

One of the things I think we are really going to love is how aggressive Mercer will make this team on the base paths.  If not immediately then we will certainly see it once he brings his guys on board through recruiting. 

I think it would have been a colossal mistake to bring back a guy that already left the program once, so I'm very happy we didn't see Glass go Smith, vol 2 with this hire.  Now we just have to hope that Mercer is a guy that can not only sustain the program's continued momentum, but also want to be the guy to stick around and continue Indiana baseball  to the next level.  I'd hope after about ten years of success that this program has finally established itself as not only the best of the Big 10, but one that can stay atop that lofty perch.

Looks like he had a baby a couple weeks back (or technically, his wife did). Hope we will be seeing young Grady in cream & crimson duds out at Kaufman Field for years to come. (And I guess his parents live in or near Bloomington -- free babysitting!). 

20 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Looks like he had a baby a couple weeks back (or technically, his wife did). Hope we will be seeing young Grady in cream & crimson duds out at Kaufman Field for years to come. (And I guess his parents live in or near Bloomington -- free babysitting!). 

Always nice to have the grandparents near Bloomington as an extra pull. 

Traveling for a couple weeks so this will be my only post for a bit but had to chime in on hire.

From what I can tell this guy can actually develop players sending tons of unheralded low major guys to the draft. Imagine what he can do with better talent. Appears he also can recruit signing first top 100 class in WSU history. Basically he has all of Lemonis' pluses without his minuses. Also being from Indiana hopefully he can be our Dan Mcdonnell and see us through to the top for a long time. I cannot find anything wrong with this hire and think Lemonis leaving got us a better coach (Lemonis is good with flaws and Mercer like Tracy Smith can do it all and is complete coach).

Throughout this proccess Tracy Smith was the mythical unicorn much like Billy Donovan was during basketball. Since getting unicorns is impossible Glass raided Dayton again and got the prettiest horse available that does exist. Great hire. I'm exited.

On 7/2/2018 at 5:46 PM, Iugradman said:

IU went the cheap route again. They do that for every sport except men’s basketball.

IU could win national championships in football, basketball, baseball, and soccer and you would complain that they didn't win in swimming and that Glass is too cheap with the swimming program. 

Rogers is the managing editor d1baseball.com

Kendall Rogers‏Verified account @KendallRogers

COACHING NEWS | @IndianaBase is going to make a strong assistant coach hire. Hearing @UCF_Baseball pitching coach and former Wright State assistant Justin Parker is headed to #Indiana. Strong get for Jeff Mercer.

33 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

COACHING NEWS | @IndianaBase is going to make a strong assistant coach hire. Hearing @UCF_Baseball pitching coach and former Wright State assistant Justin Parker is headed to #Indiana. Strong get for Jeff Mercer.

One of the best signs of a strong program is high quality assistants. Great to hear. 

49 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I don't know enough about this hire to offer an opinion, but it sure seems like I recall reading that several folks here liked Kyle Bunn. ... Guess Mercer just wanted his own guy, because it seems like Bunn might have been willing to stay. Wasn't he the interim coach after Lemonis left?