Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

KDB

(2019) PG DJ Carton to Ohio State

Evan Daniels had an interview with him where he said he cut his list to 6 because he was getting overwhelmed  and stressed with phone calls but later in the same  inverview he says this isn’t his final 6 and his recruitment is still open.  Lol.  Basically my take is this is his final 6 unless duke, Unc, or Kentucky come knocking 

From the US Under 18 Trials

Matthew Bain‏Verified account @MatthewBain

Here's what D.J. Carton told me in May regarding blue bloods making a late push on him, even though he's got a top six: "I want to be with a winning team that has a good future. It will all take its time. It’ll play its course and I’ll see how it goes."

Corey Evans‏ @coreyevans

Two sessions through here at USA under-18 trials. DJ Carton has raised eyebrows with polished abilities, Coby White the best scorer, Talen Horton-Tucker’s versatility is supreme, and Jeremiah Robinson-Earl & Armando Bacot activity has been evident

Adam Finkelstein‏Verified account @AdamFinkelstein 

D.J. Carton has moved the needle more for me than any other high school player here. Lot of tools but really like the way he carries himself too.

48 minutes ago, MemphisHoosier said:

Official Visits planned for Michigan (June 27-28th) & Indiana (June 29-30th)

Alex Bozich Retweeted Matthew Bain

Carton to visit Indiana the last weekend in June:

Alex Bozich added,

Matthew BainVerified account @MatthewBain_
Five-star point guard D.J. Carton (@DJCarton) now has his first two official visits locked in, per his HS coach. http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/iowa/bbmen-recruiting/2018/06/12/hawkeyes-recruiting-dj-carton-official-visits-michigan-and-indiana-iowa-ohio-state-marquette-xavier/696869002/ 

I know OSU has been mentioned as being on the top line as well, but I wonder if he doesn't make it to official visit #3.

5 hours ago, KDB said:

New video interview on Peegs with Carton.

Although mostly IU questions, Carton didn't sound like a Michigan lean to me.

Mentioned he has gotten a chance over time to speak to some of the younger guys at IU including Romeo, and Victor Oladipo on his last visit.

He also referred to Oladipo as one of his favorite players. 

Carton also was asked what the impact is of having a coach who played his same position in Archie Miller recruiting him, he noted that he felt it was pretty important and it definitely helps having a coach that knows where you're coming from that also understands what it's like in your shoes.

When DJ spoke about Michigan in the interview he mentioned that the staff was on him pretty hard and that he was looking forward to getting back up there to see the campus as the first time around he went for a football game and didn't get a chance to see the rest of the place.

Carton will take official visits to Michigan and Indiana late this month and has no more visits scheduled as of right now beyond that.

As far as a decision, Carton said that because his schedule will be so busy soon, to get all the visits he wanted in he would probably have to decide a little later than maybe first thought and is shooting for October.

Geez, I want this kid.

I never thought Michigan would be that tough to beat out. Have to hand it to Beilein, he has his footprint all over this program and it's as good as it has ever been year in and year out. To me, I want this kid as bad as I want TJD, Brooks etc. Heck, maybe even more. NCAA tourney runs always come down to having great guard play. Just look at Nova's two title runs, Carolina last year etc. 

Brian Snow from Day 3 of the NBPA Top 100 Camp

DJ Carton, PG, 2019

Carton came into the camp with high expectations after his strong play this spring. He started out the camp slowly but then found his stride. Perhaps unselfish to a fault, or maybe just too passive, Carton finally kicked it into gear. He attacks the basket with power and composure and is a serious defender. A quality finisher, Carton also need teammates ready for his mid-drive passing.

Recruiting: Indiana, Iowa, Marquette, Michigan, Ohio State and Xavier (JM)

Sam Webb - 247Sports - Beilein's Player Development Stands Out to 5-Star PG D.J. Carton

High level one-on-one skill is always a given at the NBA Player’s Association Top 100 Camp. High level unselfishness, on the other hand, is not. That’s why the ability to consistently find teammates in positions to make plays stands out. Bettendorf (Iowa) point guard D.J. Carton put that skill on full display at this year’s camp held at the University of Virginia last week. He also further demonstrated his increased aggression on the offensive. When play concluded Saturday night, many including former Wolverine standout and NBAPA camp director Tim McCormick ranked Carton among the top dozen performers from the entire week. Though pleased with his own play, Carton was far from satisfied.

“I feel like one thing I need to get better at (is) sometimes in my head (telling myself) to be more aggressive as a scorer,” said Carton. “I feel like I can score and I can bring that to the table, but it’s just that sometimes I’m a little too unselfish. Sometimes that hurts me and the team. So I feel sometimes I need to be more aggressive, and that just all comes mentally.”

“I feel like my game has gotten a whole lot better,” he later added. “I feel like people have been starting to notice a little bit. I feel like I’m a whole different player than last year. I feel like just my aggressiveness and my athleticism especially. I feel like my athleticism is the biggest change I’ve made. I feel like I kind of go to the hoop in a different way than last year. It all just comes with mentality and confidence. So, I feel like definitely my aggressiveness going to the rim and my athleticism has changed me as a player over the years.”

Michigan is among the schools that were courting Carton before his recent rise to five-star status. That longstanding attention was recently rewarded when the Wolverines made his cutdown to six teams. He followed that up by scheduling his official visit to Ann Arbor for June 27th. A prior unofficial visit and a great in-home with John Beilein back in April helped him get a strong initial feel for the program. Now he is plans to dig a little deeper.

“What I’m looking for in an official visit is really (to) just spend time with the team and the coaches more. I feel like on my unofficials I’ve seen the campus, I’ve seen the area, I’ve talked to academic advisors and stuff like that… little things like that. But I think that just being around the team and kind of getting that vibe and their chemistry and seeing how well I’d fit with that group and stuff… I think that’s probably the most important thing to me. Just being able to play with guys that I can connect with on and off the court.”

Michigan’s strong standing to date stems from persistent effort put in by Beilein and Carton’s primary recruiter for the Wolverines, Luke Yaklich.

“(Beilein) is a down to earth guy. He’s probably the most truthful guy you’ve ever met. So, I’ve talked to him about some of the situations out of Michigan and stuff like that. And he’s all truthful. So I mean I feel like I’ve been talking to him for a while. It took a while for me to even get an offer from him and that just shows something, like how important it is (to him), and stuff. So I have a really strong relationship with Coach Yak and Coach Beilein and them, down there, and I can’t wait to go back to Ann Arbor.”

“I started talking to (Yaklich) maybe a year ago. He used to coach at Illinois State and there was a connection there. So, I started talking to him and you know he’s a big defensive guy. He really likes my defense and stuff. So, me and him really kind of connect and he liked to talk about the Celtics. He’s a big Celtics fan, so we really kind of talk about the game a lot and he has a really smart mind with it.”

It’s clear that the strong relationships with Michigan’s staff member have already been established. The Maize & Blue’s fate in the race for Carton’s services may come down to how well he connects with the players.

“The most significant factors in the choice are just… getting me to my future,” he said. “Who can develop me the most (to) become NBA ready, winning, and just the relationships. I want a team that I can call my brothers and stuff like that… that I can go back in like 60 years from now and still know those guys and still talk to them. So, I want my team to feel family-like, and get me to my dream.”

“What I like about Michigan is they’re a very successful team and I feel like Coach Beilein is one of the best coaches in college basketball,” Carton added. “He’s really good at developing guards. They’ve had a lot of guards come through Michigan and stuff like that, and then they win. I want to win in college. I want to be successful and I want to help my team win. So, I feel like they have a really good chance of putting me in a spot to be able to win, play good numbers and good minutes, and help me individually as a player for my future.”

2019 PG D.J. CARTON TALKS RECRUITING, USA, NY2LA ASSOCIATION AND MORE

Not many players have had the spring that 2019 Five Star DJ Carton has had playing with Quad City Elite in the NY2LA Basketball Association. Carton continues to rise in the rankings and show that not only can he compete at the highest level of competition, but stand out among other elite players. Cartons recruitment has blown up over the last 12 months and he recently cut his list of schools down to Indiana, Iowa, Marquette, Michigan, Ohio State, and Xavier, although he says he is still open to new schools reaching out. 

Carton broke down each of the six mentioned above.

Michigan: “I have a strong relationship with the coaching staff and they are a winning program. Coach Beilien develops guards really well.” 

Ohio State: “I have a strong relationship with the coaching staff and players. They have a great broadcast school and get guards in the NBA.” 

Indiana: “I have a great relationship with the coaching staff. They are rich in tradition and the atmosphere there is crazy.” 

Iowa: “Great relationship with the coaching staff, and really close with the players. It’s close to my family and has a bright future with getting recruits.”

Marquette: “Key is guards play, and I love the tempo that they play at. I have a strong relationship with coaches and they have a big fan base.”

Xavier: “Good relationship with the coaches, great fan base, and they have a winning tradition and have been successful in regular and post season play. 

Carton recently took part in the USA Basketball U18 Training Camp as one of 33 invitees, and was selected one of 18 finalists to make the final roster. 

“It was good, I learned a lot,” said Carton. “Most importantly I got to know the guys, made friends and really enjoyed spending time with them off the court. It was a great experience and only drive me to become a better player.”

Carton also talked about his experience playing in the NY2LA Basketball Association and the platform it has given him.

“I feel like exposure comes with your talent and how your carry yourself off the court, if you can ball people will see it,” said Carton. “NY2LA Sports and the NY2LA Basketball Association has given me many opportunities to play against great competition, play with a team that represents my community and where I’m from, and excellent exposure in front of a lot of scouts and high major programs.”  

5 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

2019 PG D.J. CARTON TALKS RECRUITING, USA, NY2LA ASSOCIATION AND MORE

Not many players have had the spring that 2019 Five Star DJ Carton has had playing with Quad City Elite in the NY2LA Basketball Association. Carton continues to rise in the rankings and show that not only can he compete at the highest level of competition, but stand out among other elite players. Cartons recruitment has blown up over the last 12 months and he recently cut his list of schools down to Indiana, Iowa, Marquette, Michigan, Ohio State, and Xavier, although he says he is still open to new schools reaching out. 

Carton broke down each of the six mentioned above.

Michigan: “I have a strong relationship with the coaching staff and they are a winning program. Coach Beilien develops guards really well.” 

Ohio State: “I have a strong relationship with the coaching staff and players. They have a great broadcast school and get guards in the NBA.” 

Indiana: “I have a great relationship with the coaching staff. They are rich in tradition and the atmosphere there is crazy.” 

Iowa: “Great relationship with the coaching staff, and really close with the players. It’s close to my family and has a bright future with getting recruits.”

Marquette: “Key is guards play, and I love the tempo that they play at. I have a strong relationship with coaches and they have a big fan base.”

Xavier: “Good relationship with the coaches, great fan base, and they have a winning tradition and have been successful in regular and post season play. 

Carton recently took part in the USA Basketball U18 Training Camp as one of 33 invitees, and was selected one of 18 finalists to make the final roster. 

“It was good, I learned a lot,” said Carton. “Most importantly I got to know the guys, made friends and really enjoyed spending time with them off the court. It was a great experience and only drive me to become a better player.”

Carton also talked about his experience playing in the NY2LA Basketball Association and the platform it has given him.

“I feel like exposure comes with your talent and how your carry yourself off the court, if you can ball people will see it,” said Carton. “NY2LA Sports and the NY2LA Basketball Association has given me many opportunities to play against great competition, play with a team that represents my community and where I’m from, and excellent exposure in front of a lot of scouts and high major programs.”  

Not sure how much can be gleaned from those generic quotes. Odd he mentioned Marquette's "big fan base" when they likely have the smallest of all the school's mentioned. 

1 minute ago, Hardwood83 said:

Not sure how much can be gleaned from those generic quotes. Odd he mentioned Marquette's "big fan base" when they likely have the smallest of all the school's mentioned. 

Oh yeah, typical canned stuff, but still always good to see a recruit specifically mention IU.