Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

2021 General Recruiting Thread

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

How many we taking in 21? Lots of interest going out during the pandemic it seems.

I thought we were looking at 2 more. 3 now?

1. Kaufman/Miller

2. Muhammad/Wesley/Longino

3. ?? All the new interest

I always wonder how much of recruiting is done more as a favor or to simply stay in touch with coaches and there's no genuine interest from a particular school.  But it's more of a 'feel good' that Coach "X" stopped by the school and made contact with a player.  Right now, I've got a list of nearly 40 class of '21 kids that have been referenced, mentioned, insinuated, etc., in connection with IU and in reality there's probably more than 40.  Imagine if AAU had actually taken place in April how many names would have surfaced that we watched.  

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wNnJvWD180M

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rqua7lfwV8

Couple of full games of Johnson’s. Talented kid, but not what I expected at all. Thought he was an athletic CG, kind of a Jahmi’us Ramsey. But in reality he’s a big, long, physical power PG. Reminds me on a couple of viewings a little of Paul Scruggs. Great athlete, good vision, solid handle, great defensive traits. Fun to watch, gonna look for some more. 1 thing: the kid wasn’t even looking at 3’s. At all. And the teams were defending him like they didn’t expect him to take them. Nothing wrong with his form. Not something you see much these days. 

Story on 4-star SG Louis Lesmond.   We've continued to stay in touch primarily through Ostrom but our recent offer to Jordan Longino suggests Lesmond is not our highest priority.

https://www.insidethehall.com/2020/05/01/indiana-is-targeting-shooters-in-the-class-of-2021-will-a-scholarship-offer-arrive-for-louis-lesmond/?fbclid=IwAR2Ga9Z7xHyFLBIlpkxOFgOV5IPmOpi9mljmUW9iF2m5vs4SyoAkS0_SGRs

Unrated class of 2021 out of OH, first I’ve seen of him. Can anyone get access to the Rabjohns article? Looks like we contacted him. 6’3” strong and athletic. 185-200lbs, good body control and looks comfortable playing toward the rim as well as shooting the three when he’s open (50% 3pt but only 12-24 for the season). So far 3 offers, all from the MAC.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

13 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

Unrated class of 2021 out of OH, first I’ve seen of him. Can anyone get access to the Rabjohns article? Looks like we contacted him. 6’3” strong and athletic. 185-200lbs, good body control and looks comfortable playing toward the rim as well as shooting the three when he’s open (50% 3pt but only 12-24 for the season). So far 3 offers, all from the MAC.

FWIW - those player assessment comments are from Nate Johnson’s AAU Coach, who has a vested interest in placing him at a P5 school.

Not saying whether he is good, but those comments should be taken with a grain of salt.

FWIW - those player assessment comments are from Nate Johnson’s AAU Coach, who has a vested interest in placing him at a P5 school.
Not saying whether he is good, but those comments should be taken with a grain of salt.

Thanks, I wondered. Since he didn’t put a name on the quote I was a little suspicious. I couldn’t help noticing that person generously gave him an extra 15 lbs. And it seems SS has somewhat of a personal connection to him and/or the coach too, considering the replies.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

More names surfacing in the '21 Class.   Kuluel Mading from Burlington, NC.  Unranked by 247.  No stats on MaxPreps.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-class-of-2021-names-to-know-forward-kuluel-mading/?fbclid=IwAR1PLAU4rnjDGmGdVEHDOUgV37NkO43TaT-3f5bZd_GK5bB52cfwnsqW2cs

HUDL

29 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

More names surfacing in the '21 Class.   Kuluel Mading from Burlington, NC.  Unranked by 247.  No stats on MaxPreps.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/iu-basketball-recruiting-class-of-2021-names-to-know-forward-kuluel-mading/?fbclid=IwAR1PLAU4rnjDGmGdVEHDOUgV37NkO43TaT-3f5bZd_GK5bB52cfwnsqW2cs

HUDL

Peter Jurkin thinks that’s a thin kid.

Surprised to see him go both left and right off of the dribble. He definitely wasn’t your usual overseas project. His biggest hurdle will be getting and keeping that weight. To be young again.

Interesting trivia from Corey Evans -

Sign of times in which 37 members of the 2021 Rivals150 has already committed.  At this time last year, just nine members of the 2020 Rivals150 was off the board.  Prospects are coming to a quicker decision due to the uncertainty of what the what-could-be in the months ahead.

Latest rankings from 247:  https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Basketball/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

#9 - Khristian Lander

#21 - Aminu Mohammed

#43 - Trey Kaufman

#46 - Jordan Longino

#57 - Trey Patterson

#80 - Logan Duncomb

#93 - Blake Wesley

Latest rankings from 247:  https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Basketball/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool
#9 - Khristian Lander
#21 - Aminu Mohammed
#43 - Trey Kaufman
#46 - Jordan Longino
#57 - Trey Patterson
#80 - Logan Duncomb
#93 - Blake Wesley

Yes, please!

Alec Lasley on Kuluel Mading-

Indiana is off to a hot start in the class of 2021 with commitments from five-star guard Khristian Lander and three-star forward Logan Duncomb. With Lander expected to make the jump to the 2020 class, that leaves at least three open scholarships for the 2021-22 season.

The Hoosiers will lose Joey Brunk, Justin Smith and potentially Trayce Jackson-Davis in the frontcourt, leaving a big hole to fill.

Though Archie Miller and the staff are actively pursuing four-star forwards Trey Kaufman, Trey Patterson and Mason Miller, new names continue to pop up this spring. One of those names is Kuluel Mading (Burlington, NC). Mading is a 6-foot-9 forward who was originally part of the 2020 class but after reclassifying to 2021, has seen his recruitment develop rapidly.

Indiana is one of the newer schools to reach out to Mading and has continued to show and communicate interest in the North Carolina native. Because of Indiana assistant Mike Roberts' ties to the North Carolina area, after serving as an assistant coach at UNC-Greensboro for eight seasons, Roberts has been the main point of contact for Mading.

"Me and Coach Roberts have been usually talking," Mading told TheHoosier.com. "We’ve been talking about on court things like how I would fit in their [Indiana's] system and off court things like the quarantine and what we are doing during it."

Improving rapidly throughout his junior season, Mading averaged 15 points and nine rebounds per game for The Burlington School. With a skillset that includes the ability to stretch the floor, he has become an intriguing option for many high-major programs. Iowa, Cincinnati, LSU, VCU and others have started to have increased contact with Mading in addition to Indiana.

Mading explained what Indiana's message has been to him in the early stages of communication.

"They say that I would be like an athletic stretch 4 so I can run the floor and step out on the perimeter and shoot."

Despite his size, Mading is very much built to play on the perimeter. His skinny frame at just 190 pounds has forced him out on the wing but he excels in doing so. With very good ball handling ability for his size and noticeable athleticism, he is very capable of taking any opponent off of the dribble.

Indiana's basketball history is what grabbed Mading's attention and it definitely resonated with him enough to already think about visiting once the quarantine lifts.

"IU is a good school and they have a great history and reputation in the college basketball world," Mading added. "Hopefully once all this coronavirus slows down I can come on campus for a visit."

On 5/6/2020 at 2:26 PM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

#9 - Khristian Lander

#21 - Aminu Mohammed

#43 - Trey Kaufman

#46 - Jordan Longino

#57 - Trey Patterson

#80 - Logan Duncomb

#93 - Blake Wesley

Don’t forget miller at 52

Latest thoughts from Corey Evans -
Can I cheat and say that Khristian Lander will reclassify into the 2020 class as my commitment prediction? I kid, but I do expect that to happen before another decision pops Indiana's way.  Currently, Lander and three-star center Logan Duncomb make up Indiana’s top-five 2021 class. Archie Miller would love to add another good-sized scoring wing and a versatile forward in the frontcourt. 
Blake Wesley and Aminu Mohammed fit the bill along the perimeter while Trey Patterson and Trey Kaufman hit their target at the 4-spot.  I know there is some talk that Kaufman is holding out for a Kentucky offer and that Virginia is also a sneaky contender, but I like where the Hoosiers sit with him.  Maybe he holds off from committing but I like IU’s chances and would say that he is the next to say yes to Miller's program.

Kaufman. Don’t be a Brooks or a Trey Lyles. Please and thanks.

Nate Johnson first mentioned on page 25 of this thread.  Today from Alec Lasley.

With the suspension of the AAU season, many high school recruitments are being affected due to prospects not being able to showcase their skills during the evaluation period, especially in the class of 2021.

For 2021 guard Nate Johnson of Lakota East High (OH), this would have been the time his recruitment would have taken off. The 6-foot-3 guard is an intriguing name that has popped up on many high-major radars over the past month.

Johnson already holds multiple offers from mid-majors and has garnered interest from programs like Cincinnati, Xavier, Virginia Tech, Dayton and Loyola-Chicago as of late.

Indiana is also a program that has kept tabs on Johnson throughout his junior season and into the spring. Part of the Indiana staff was expected to be on sight for Johnson during the summer when he suited up for Midwest Basketball Club.

"Indiana has interest in Nate [Johnson]," Midwest Basketball Club Director Andrew Martin told TheHoosier.com.  "[Coach] Tom Ostrom has been in contact with him recently."

Rest of the story is behind a paywall.