Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Hypothetical Line-Ups Discussion

Theres been alot of discussion about possible line ups depending on which recruits we are able to get.  So I thought I would make a topic for us to discuss it in so we aren't clogging up all the other topics

2018 Line Up

Assumes we get Garland and Romeo

Garland, Romeo, Moore, Morgan and Davis.  Hunter, Green and Race getting majority of minutes off bench. 

2019 Line Up

Assumes we get Brooks, Watford and TJ Davis and Garland stays

Garland, Hunter, Watford, Brooks and Davis.  With Green, Race and TJD getting the majority of minutes off the bench.  If Davis and Garland go Pro, Green and TJD move into Starting lineup.  Phinisee and Forrester get minutes off bench. 

We aren't recruiting any 'filler' type of players as far as I can tell. The end of the bench looks to be guys who could play meaningful roles at other high major schools. To me that says Coach Miller isn't as thrilled with the roster as he sometimes implies. Hopefully, things will stabilize once he has his guys on board. If I recall correctly, he said a reason for not always using all the scholarships was to reduce the unhappiness that goes with lack of playing time. As it stands now, if he indeed uses a tighter rotation, we are going to have some unhappy guys. There's no way we can possibly play all the guys we currently have and those we anticipate getting in the next couple of years. I'm not a big fan of heavy roster turnover and hope this doesn't become a trend.

If we land both Romeo and Garland...I see a possible transfer of Cujo. I just don't see that jump coming from him this year and I think with what we got coming in he may not want to be on the losing end of playing time. I hope that I am wrong but...we'll see.

Sent from my SM-G930P using BtownBanners mobile app

I was thinking the same thing about Jones yesterday

Sent from my SM-G930V using BtownBanners mobile app

Glad you started this thread!

2018:

• Starters
    • (PG) Garland (SG) Langford (SF) Moore/Smith (PF) Morgan (C) Davis
  • Rotation
    • Green, Jones, Hunter, Moore/Smith, Thompson
  • Developing
    • Durham, Phinisee, Anderson, Forrester

Obviously, this doesn't account for any breakout players this season nor does it account for transfers.

Whoever develops faster and is more needed between Moore and Smith would get the starting spot.  Green would be the first guard off the bench and Moore or Smith would be the first wing off the bench.  When Davis came out I would have Thompson and Moore at the 4 and 5.  Thompson should have the muscle to defend the post and Moore has the length to help from the weak side.  (Although, I don't really see too many backup bigs around the league that would dominate inside)

2019: 

• Starters
    • (PG) Garland (SG) Hunter (SF) Moore (PF) Brooks (C) Davis
  • Rotation
    • Green, Jones, Smith, Jackson-Davis, Thompson
  • Developing
    • Durham, Phinisee, Anderson, Forrester

Again, this is really difficult to project so far out but I'm confident we get a few impact big wings in the 2019 that are capable of starting.  Durham, Phinisee, Thompson, and Forrester seem like recruits who will work hard and wait their turn to contribute to the team.  I feel confident by 2019 we'll have a roster, top to bottom, that will compete for B1G titles year in and year out. 

Green will not be sitting down during a tip- off ever again while attending Indiana University, if healthy. 

Agree. I was fortunate to be able to watch a practice this week. Coach explained that they grade and rank every player at every practice. There is a strong correlation between practice grade and playing time. The highest ranked player for the week earns the gold jersey who is excused from conditioning drills during the week. This week Green is wearing it.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I could see a fluid situation at the 2 and 3 spots with the talent we'll have there.Green may very well start but depending on opponents size see less action, than say Smith,Hunter or Anderson for that matter.
Those positions are up for grabs in 19. From what I've seen so far Archie doesnt seem to be the kind of coach whos going to guarantee starting spots.
Greens a good player.Who says Hunter,Moore,Smith or Anderson cant be great players? Nice problem to have.

Sent from my LGL41C using BtownBanners mobile app

I was thinking the same thing about Jones yesterday

Sent from my SM-G930V using BtownBanners mobile app

I’m in now way dogging this kid. But personally, I wasn’t a fan of his game coming in. I’ve been on the devonte green bandwagon after watching a time or 2 last season. CuJo would just about have to transfer if we were to land those 2. Forget future season lineups, let’s talk this season!

Green
RoJo
Hartman
Morgan
Smith

OR

Green
RoJo
Hartman
Morgan
Davis

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I’m in now way dogging this kid. But personally, I wasn’t a fan of his game coming in. I’ve been on the devonte green bandwagon after watching a time or 2 last season. CuJo would just about have to transfer if we were to land those 2. Forget future season lineups, let’s talk this season!

Green
RoJo
Hartman
Morgan
Smith

OR

Green
RoJo
Hartman
Morgan
Davis

I just don’t see Green starting over Newkirk.

4 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I think Green would be a good candidate as a scoring ball handler off the bench.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Yeah he's odd man out in a lineup with Romeo and Garland. Will be able to shine brighter off the bench. Not to mention drive opposing coaches crazy.