Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

Even if one of his New Mexico st teams was a 3 seed and lost to Harvard? I honestly expected them to beat Harvard that year and actually had them going pretty far.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

That kind of proves his point though. New Mexico as a 3 seed.

That doesn't happen much at New Mexico. 2 mid majors battling it out in the 3/14 game.

Because IOWA is a crap job. Making the NCAA at Iowa is a great success. Almost like making the elite 8 at IU or UCLA.

He was good/great at UCLA and New Mexico.

iowa was a really good program in the 80's with tom Davis. Marble, bj Armstrong. The elite 8 game against unlv was really good. I have it on tape from my 87 tournament VHS ( kids VHS is like dvds today. Lol).

Yes. It's New Mexico.

You didn't expect New Mexico to go far that year when they had a pro on their team playing against Harvard? Anything can happen in the tourney. I honestly expected his New Mexico team to go far that year. Like most coaches he underachieved with a team in the tourney against an inferior opponent

I think he would recruit indiana well. He got wilkes to come half way across the country. Crean can't even get indy kids to come an hour doan the road. That needs to change. Alford is not I my top 5 so no I'm not pushing for him.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I just don't see how after having 21 years of info on him, how you could want to replace Crean with Alford. Forget not being the top of a conference. A good coach can build a location into being a tournament team with consistency. 9 years out of 21 going. What screams IU with that? Crean did better with Marquette building them up. I would rather have Marshall and take Alford off any list altogether.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Because Alford can recruit the type of players to give a team a chance to have a year like UCLA is having this year. They are very possible title contenders. Legitimate title contenders. Will they win? Odds say no. But he has as good as chance as anyone.

We had 1 year like that with Crean in 9. It ended in a sweet sixteen. Most people are pissed about that but those are the kind of years I want to have. Be in the top ten all year. Eventually you'll win one. And if not, then it was still a hell of a fun year.

I will be extremely disappointed in an Alford hire. IMO it's a lateral move, maybe he makes us slightly better but don't see him taking us where we need to go, at all. And the bigger problem with Alford, if it's taken us this long to get rid of Crean (knock on wood) we would never get rid of Alford if it didn't work out. He would always be given a pass because he was an IU great and we would be stuck with him forever

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

He's not my #1. But he is 5 or 6. I think he is under estimated on this board especially. That's all.

Yeah Alford wouldn't be among my top choices, but if it came down to keeping Crean or bringing in Alford I would go with the latter. We know what Crean can do as a coach and we know it's not good enough. Alford's postseason resume isn't great but I like what he's doing at UCLA. Maybe it has more to do with the school and less to do with him, but they're in a good place regardless. I think he would be able to recruit well.