Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

2 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Those New Mexico teams were packed with talent, right?

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

The BIG isn't the MWC. And how far did he go in the tourney with those teams?

21 years isn't enough data?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Gotta compare apples to apples. UCLA is the corollary.
He did well at New Mexico ( you honestly can't expect those teams to go far in March with those resources-let's be real). Iowa wasn't great but it's Iowa. They are what they are. He had some good years at Iowa relative to their standards.

Love the logic... Crean has never had success in the tournament in 19 years coaching at Marquette or Indiana. But Alford! He just hasn't been given the right resources in 21 years coaching in the B1G, MWC, and at blueblood UCLA.

At UCLA so far, went to the Sweet Sixteen twice and then completely missed the tournament. Talk about inconsistency. Reminds me of another coach at a blueblood school...

Crean only succeeded last year because of Yogi. Well... Alford's current PG happens to be a projected top NBA draft pick and one of the most talented PGs in college basketball.

im not convinced crean is gone yet so ill worry about the next coach after a press conference happens.

Yep. Tonight is the biggest game of creans iu tenure. A win means he still has a major shot at keeping his job.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

He did well at New Mexico ( you honestly can't expect those teams to go far in March with those resources-let's be real). Iowa wasn't great but it's Iowa. They are what they are. He had some good years at Iowa relative to their standards.

I would hope any coach we hire at IU would have had success prior to his arrival. Crean is horrible right? He fell into a Final Four at Marquette. Alford can't even hit Elite 8. Why would he be a justifiable candidate head coach at IU after 21 years of coaching?

He is in his 4th year and they may be the best team in the country. Next year's recruiting says that might continue. He made 2 other sweet sixteens.

Yes he had 1 bad year. My guess is that isn't the trend.

I just don't get how you look at 21 years where he missed the tourney 12 times and say he's not inconsistent

I just don't get how you look at 21 years where he missed the tourney 12 times and say he's not inconsistent

Because IOWA is a crap job. Making the NCAA at Iowa is a great success. Almost like making the elite 8 at IU or UCLA.

He was good/great at UCLA and New Mexico.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Because IOWA is a crap job. Making the NCAA at Iowa is a great success. Almost like making the elite 8 at IU or UCLA.

He was good/great at UCLA and New Mexico.

I don't know if I would call what he has done at UCLA good/great. Maybe where our difference is. I see a coach hanging by a thread up til this season and needing to do something in the tournament.

Even if one of his New Mexico st teams was a 3 seed and lost to Harvard? I honestly expected them to beat Harvard that year and actually had them going pretty far.

When players are hitting their shots it makes Crean's teams look great. When the shots aren't falling and he has no Plan B against the team we are playing against, our flaws are exposed and get screwed because he usually doesn't make adjustments. Wisconsin is a team more than capable of exposing those flaws. If the we are hot shooting the ball again tonight and we win, I don't see that as making Crean a good coach who should stay. He has nothing to do really with the player's shots going in. Wisconsin is gonna present us with better perimeter defense than what Iowa did, so I don't see us shooting as well, but IF we do, it's not gonna be a matter of "holy cow, Crean can coach, we better keep him!". If we don't hit our shots it truly shows where he lacks as a coach.