Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

I don't want to belittle anyone because we are all entitled to our opinion, but anyone that thinks Crean should be fired soon is an idiot. You can not build a program without stability ( see IU football).

National championships are not our birthright anymore. It's a different day. Nationalized recruiting and cable TV has changed the game. Judging Coach Crean by McCracken or Knight is unfair. That program is gone. Knight, Davis and Samscum took care of that.

That being said, IU should be a top 30 team pretty consistently. That's what I'm watching. After next year I'll know if I want Coach Crean gone. I was expecting a down year and have always felt that IU wouldn't make the tourney. This team has fight. I like that.

Next year the seat could start getting warm...

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I think scoring is pretty important when they lost by alot balanced scoring will win games.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using BtownBanners mobile app

Scoring is important, but there are other important parts of the game.  Defense, rebounding, taking care of the ball, etc.  Like I said, there is A LOT more to the game than scoring.

I think all of you that are wanting to fire crean have forgotten what he has done for the hoosiers since his hiring. Tom has brought the hoosiers out of the " dark era" please stop the negative thoughts. If yall are true hosier bball fans then you would know who and what we lost last year and that the young talent that we have will be even better next year... so all i need to say is... GET OFF OF TOM CREANS BACK AND SUPPORT HIM...He is the best coach we have had since Bobby Knight!!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using BtownBanners mobile app

The rebuild was over 2 years ago, it's past time we reset our expectations to a level that corresponds to a program like IU.  Most, if not all of us, want Crean to succeed but supporting him doesn't mean we can't have concerns about his ability to take us where we should expect to be.

Let's look at the coaches we've had since RMK

Mike Davis-  That's a low bar.  If he's not better, he shouldn't have been hired in the first place.

Cellvin Samsung (I refuse to use his real name)-  He was actually a good in game coach, he just sucked at running a clean program

Dan Dakich-  Yeah.....

Which I don't understand. We won the big ten title last year for Christ's sake.

Yeah we lost in the sweet 16...so what. Thats 1 game we happened to lose due to an awful matchup against Syracuse. 

For me its not just this year, in fact as young as this team is, I really wasn't expecting much and am not that disappointed. Here are my reasons for thinking he is not the long term coaching solution at IU:

1. A lack of structure in the offense, which kills the half court offense. 

2. Too dependent on athletes, not enough basketball IQ.

3. Inability to utilize talented bigs as anything more than cleanup crew in the paint.

4. Some of the most perplexing substitution patterns I have ever seen. 

5. A unwillingness to exercise a little "pine time".

6. Too much Clappy, not enough ripping some ass.

7. Players just don't seem to learn some basic things (shot fake, entry pass).

8. Wisconsin. Whether you like Bo Ryans style or it puts you to sleep, he's a helluva coach. And the better coach has won every matchup.

I am not on the "Fire Crean Train" at this point. And I think this team will be a lot of fun to watch the next year or two, but I really doubt that banner #6 ever comes under CTC.

For me its not just this year, in fact as young as this team is, I really wasn't expecting much and am not that disappointed. Here are my reasons for thinking he is not the long term coaching solution at IU:

3. Inability to utilize talented bigs as anything more than cleanup crew in the paint.

8. Wisconsin. Whether you like Bo Ryans style or it puts you to sleep, he's a helluva coach. And the better coach has won every matchup.

I am not on the "Fire Crean Train" at this point. And I think this team will be a lot of fun to watch the next year or two, but I really doubt that banner #6 ever comes under CTC.

pretty much my thoughts, except I thought we'd be better this year. 

I don't want to belittle anyone because we are all entitled to our opinion, but anyone that thinks Crean should be fired soon is an idiot. You can not build a program without stability ( see IU football).

National championships are not our birthright anymore. It's a different day. Nationalized recruiting and cable TV has changed the game. Judging Coach Crean by McCracken or Knight is unfair. That program is gone. Knight, Davis and Samscum took care of that.

That being said, IU should be a top 30 team pretty consistently. That's what I'm watching. After next year I'll know if I want Coach Crean gone. I was expecting a down year and have always felt that IU wouldn't make the tourney. This team has fight. I like that.

Next year the seat could start getting warm...

Crean said "it's Indiana", one of the top programs of all time.  A certain level of expectations comes along with that.  Bob Knight was a large part of Crean being able to say that, and I will not lower my standards just because Mike Davis was an idiot and Samsung can't run a clean program.  We should have much higher standards than being a "top 30 team pretty consistently" and making the tournament should be considered an absolute minimum.

For me its not just this year, in fact as young as this team is, I really wasn't expecting much and am not that disappointed. Here are my reasons for thinking he is not the long term coaching solution at IU:<br /><br />1. A lack of structure in the offense, which kills the half court offense. <br />2. Too dependent on athletes, not enough basketball IQ.<br />3. Inability to utilize talented bigs as anything more than cleanup crew in the paint.<br />4. Some of the most perplexing substitution patterns I have ever seen. <br />5. A unwillingness to exercise a little "pine time".<br />6. Too much Clappy, not enough ripping some ass.<br />7. Players just don't seem to learn some basic things (shot fake, entry pass).<br />8. Wisconsin. Whether you like Bo Ryans style or it puts you to sleep, he's a helluva coach. And the better coach has won every matchup.<br /><br />I am not on the "Fire Crean Train" at this point. And I think this team will be a lot of fun to watch the next year or two, but I really doubt that banner #6 ever comes under CTC.

AMEN TO YOUR #6!!! <br /><br /><br />

I think all of you that are wanting to fire crean have forgotten what he has done for the hoosiers since his hiring. Tom has brought the hoosiers out of the " dark era" please stop the negative thoughts. If yall are true hosier bball fans then you would know who and what we lost last year and that the young talent that we have will be even better next year... so all i need to say is... GET OFF OF TOM CREANS BACK AND SUPPORT HIM...He is the best coach we have had since Bobby Knight!!!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using BtownBanners mobile app

Not saying much. But even then, He Who Shall Not Be Named may have been a better coach, he just wasn't bright enough to cheat.

Largely sums up my feelings.  I want him to succeed, I want him to hang banners, I have concerns on if he actually can without really improving his coaching ability.

I also couldn't care less about "fun to watch", I find winning fun.

No way people should want him fired. People thought a 9 seed was ludicrous when the preseason bracketology came out. Those are the people who want Coach gone. Its ridiculous.

Now, I am a big fan of Coach, but to a certain degree. He's not a great coach, and has some serious flaws. Coach really needs to think of a different scheme because it just isn't working with this team. Its so easy to defend when there are no shooters or good IQ players. Just how it is.

Only way I would consider coach on the hot seat is if we don't make the NIT this season, or doesn't make the tournament next year (if Vonleh returns).

We will be fine. I did expect this team to be a little better, but knew this was more of a possibility than the flip side. It is what it is. Natural and I talked about this before the season. We were very worried about this team.

Sent from my DROID4 using BtownBanners mobile app

Crean will be in trouble next year if Vonleh goes pro. I don't think the team will do anything next with without him. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

i would agree with that but what would happen if he is gone? we never feed the post or use him or any of our big men the way they should be used so i dont think it will be that big of a loss

I haven't entirely given up on him. I am frustrated, yes, however, this is not the same team that went to 2 sweet 16s and won the B1G championship. Most of those guys went pro. My concern is now (A) will anyone else transfer out and as far as next season (B) will Noah go pro?

I wish more than none that we would see CTC rip ass like CBK used to do. This team doesn't need belly rubbing. They need to be shown that if they want to play for Indiana, they better show it. IU fans are some of the toughest fans to please in the league, and that is because we have seen what IUBB used to be, and we refuse to accept our team to be less than what they could be. Plain and simple.

[quote name="JSHoosier" post="27792" timestamp="1388872424"]Crean said "it's Indiana", one of the top programs of all time. A certain level of expectations comes along with that. Bob Knight was a large part of Crean being able to say that, and I will not lower my standards just because Mike Davis was an idiot and Samsung can't run a clean program. We should have much higher standards than being a "top 30 team pretty consistently" and making the tournament should be considered an absolute minimum.[/quote]

I never said accepting mediocrity is ok. But there are maybe 3 teams in college basketball today that can expect to compete for a national championship every year , UNC, UK and Duke. That's it and don't say a B1G team before you look up the last time a B1G won one.

Living outside the state, I've learned one thing, IU is not in the national discussion anymore for the most part. Crean has to rebuild that, but to be honest, IU was known more nationally for Knight 's antics than anything. And while Knight help build a blue blood of a program, by his own admission he mailed in recruiting his last few years and that started the decline.

Crean is right, expectations are and should be high, but you have to balance that with reality. The expectation come mostly from inside the state, not outside. Parkers, Wiggins and Randles aren't coming to IU and prob never will. Crean is doing good , not great, with what he has. Like I said, check with me next year.

PS- one more thing, NEVER fire your coach unless you know the next one will be better. And don't give me Stevens. He lived off recruiting the state while IU was down.

[quote name="HoosierReb01" post="27806" timestamp="1388873211"]I really don't see anyone on the ledge, except Charlie, and he lives there. Its actually a fairly reasonable discussion. Its not Bash Crean time, just discussing outlooks.[/quote]

There is another message board which I won't name where they basically want him tarred and feathered and want to pay Stevens ANYTHING to get him in Bloomington.