Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

To whom are the options wide open? Has Cuban changed his mind? Has Glass changed his after CTC’s turnaround this year?

ctc has not turned anything around this year. We are for the third year in a row looking at being a bubble team or not making the tourney. We haven't played anyone yet. We have the softest 19 wins in IU history

Really don't think there is much to be said either for or against Crean until the buzzer on Sunday in East Lansing, at the earliest. Regardless of the schedule we've played, we're currently in a position to take the B1G title for the second time in Crean's eight years here, and for the second time in the last four.

If the team pulls off another B1G title this year, Crean becomes a coach who has pulled this program together. He would be looked at as a coach who can bring consistent success to Indiana.

If they fail, the team would presumably fall to somewhere around fourth to sixth place, and I think more administration would view Crean as a coach who has peaked and cannot take us to that next level.

Very, very interesting couple of weeks ahead. Regardless of whether you THINK Crean can be a winner, he's in a great position to prove what he can do. I hope he succeeds, because I want this team to succeed. If he does succeed, winning the B1G title, it becomes really hard to argue against his ability to make Indiana a contender. First round exits in the B1G Tournament and NCAA Tournament would certainly raise serious doubt though, regardless of a second B1G title.

ctc has not turned anything around this year. We are for the third year in a row looking at being a bubble team or not making the tourney. We haven't played anyone yet. We have the softest 19 wins in IU history

i guess last year would depend on your definition of being on the bubble. While a 10 seed should not be a desirable seed that is not being a bubble team. In the committee's true seed line there were 9 at large teams that were below iu. To me that isn't a team being on the bubble but I get your point we should be expect better. While this year you might think we are a soft 19 win team, as of today their resume translates to a seed line anywhere between 6-10 and that's with in your words a soft schedule. The middle of the pack teams pretty much look the same when reviewing their body of work. Iu has plenty of opportunities playing too teams at home that would separate them from other teams or they have plenty of opportunities to fall further down the true seed line and actually be a bubble team. Fwiw we have a top 25 rpi win this year in notre dame

quick question... does a win over Iowa right the ship or nahh?

I guess I would say the same thing I said after the debacle that was Penn State. 

One game in the big scheme of things doesn't matter.  You have to take the season as a whole. 

We have seen, over the years, that we can have a big win, and then have a major melt down.

Let's just wait and see how the season plays out. 

Well he has won a big ten title & is a pretty good recruiter . I really don't think it would matter who the coach is for a lot of you ,just the name at the top of the thread would change

Mike Davis can say he won a B1G title too, and over his career he's actually won more conference titles than Crean has.

Mike Davis can say he won a B1G title too, and over his career he's actually won more conference titles than Crean has.

True but Crean has 3 conference coach of the year awards. Which Davis doesn't. Crean also makes over $3 million to Mike Davis $200k. I would say he is the smartest man in that room.

Crean's post game comment about how he could do a better job at communicating with the team regarding the score and time is very telling to me. First, it shows he is not a very good coach. A game is on the line and the only reason you need a head coach and he fails miserably. Second, he admitted he made a mistake. I see that as raising the white flag since his normal excuses as needing to see the tape or what did you think werent used. Another collapse which looks to be closing in should punch his ticket to the Mac conference. If Glass fails to deliver, he should be sent with Crean.

So let's say we lose tomorrow and sunday. If that happens, Crean's seat as to be as hot as it's ever been here at IU. Let alone if we go 12-6 or 11-7....

This board will get very very ugly. 

So let's say we lose tomorrow and sunday. If that happens, Crean's seat as to be as hot as it's ever been here at IU. Let alone if we go 12-6 or 11-7....

This board will get very very ugly.

As much as I wish it were the case, it's not. If you go on a board, typically you are the outlier fanatic that is incapable of keeping irrational bi-polar swings out of perception. Is his seat hot for this board? It has been for 6 years. Is his seat hot in reality to the people that make the decisions? It doesn't seem to be. 12-6 seemed as high as we would get and was also unreasonable to others. I still think anything under 14 wins with our schedule is disappointing, but I don't make the decisions. Most athletic departments don't live on a game to game basis. If they do they would fire their coach mid season. To me that shows more of a failure on the department than the coach. I won't pretend to know what the criteria is for Crean. I think if we were basing him off of our standards he would already have been gone. I get the vibe by how this all went down over the years he was allowed the freedom to build after coming back from the sanctions. Who knows? I don't see him getting fired this year and how hot a seat is all comes down to singular perception. IMO it's IU. That seat is always hot and stressful. People expect wins.

As much as I wish it were the case, it's not. If you go on a board, typically you are the outlier fanatic that is incapable of keeping irrational bi-polar swings out of perception. Is his seat hot for this board? It has been for 6 years. Is his seat hot in reality to the people that make the decisions? It doesn't seem to be. 12-6 seemed as high as we would get and was also unreasonable to others. I still think anything under 14 wins with our schedule is disappointing, but I don't make the decisions. Most athletic departments live on a game to game basis. If they do they would fire their coach mid season. To me that shows more of a failure on the department than the coach. I won't pretend to know what the criteria is for Crean. I think if we were basing him off of our standards he would already have been gone. I get the vibe by how this all went down over the years he was allowed the freedom to build after coming back from the sanctions. Who knows? I don't see him getting fired this year and how hot a seat is all comes down to singular perception. IMO it's IU. That seat is always hot and stressful. People expect wins.

Just because we're loony biscuits doesn't mean we're wrong.

As much as I wish it were the case, it's not. If you go on a board, typically you are the outlier fanatic that is incapable of keeping irrational bi-polar swings out of perception. Is his seat hot for this board? It has been for 6 years. Is his seat hot in reality to the people that make the decisions? It doesn't seem to be. 12-6 seemed as high as we would get and was also unreasonable to others. I still think anything under 14 wins with our schedule is disappointing, but I don't make the decisions. Most athletic departments don't live on a game to game basis. If they do they would fire their coach mid season. To me that shows more of a failure on the department than the coach. I won't pretend to know what the criteria is for Crean. I think if we were basing him off of our standards he would already have been gone. I get the vibe by how this all went down over the years he was allowed the freedom to build after coming back from the sanctions. Who knows? I don't see him getting fired this year and how hot a seat is all comes down to singular perception. IMO it's IU. That seat is always hot and stressful. People expect wins.

going by a interview that I heard over the summer from glass if what he was saying is true if we falter down the stretch and don't make ncaa or early exit his seat should be hot

going by a interview that I heard over the summer from glass if what he was saying is true if we falter down the stretch and don't make ncaa or early exit his seat should be hot

Honestly not being a jerk but I don't recall him saying if we missed tourney or early exit his seat would be hot. I agree they should be. I remember him saying we must compete for B1G titles and that would take care of the rest. Right now we are in 2nd place. Even if we lost our next two we would be in top four. I just see him as a lawyer that would say we were right there til the end. IMO any less than 14 wins this year is disappointing. I said that before B1G started and people thought I was nuts that we could never get there. I think most agree we should be aiming for that now.

mdn82, you may be right but I just find it hard to believe I am so far off on this. I have no contacts and base my thoughts only on gut opinion fed by my own sense of logic. I just cannot imagine a realistic scenario where we have another late season collapse and Crean returns.

I would hope those that might support his return under such a situation underestimate the pressure that would build. There could be some who think he is great now but I think the tide swing would flip many who right now would laugh if reading my post

mdn82, you may be right but I just find it hard to believe I am so far off on this. I have no contacts and base my thoughts only on gut opinion fed by my own sense of logic. I just cannot imagine a realistic scenario where we have another late season collapse and Crean returns.

I would hope those that might support his return under such a situation underestimate the pressure that would build. There could be some who think he is great now but I think the tide swing would flip many who right now would laugh if reading my post

Pressure build in what form?