Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

That's true but if you compare last years team to this years they are completely different. Last year Indiana was playing small ball and relied a lot on shooting. Defense was horrible and when you have Colin Hartman playing the 5 than its gonna be hard to win consistently. Hanner also got hurt but to compare Hanner with TB is light years in difference. This years team has shown it can win even with subpar offensive games and that's why I'm more hopeful this year. I've mentioned it before but this years team is so much well balanced. Barring any serious injuries, I just don't see a downfall in February and March like last years team.

I would love to see a strong finish. While not the norm for Crean teams, we did finish well Cody's freshman year which propelled us to a strong start to the following year. Unfortunately that year we also finished poorly.

I agree that we seem to have improved on the defensive side and that will help carry us when the offense struggles.

The inaugural post to this thread was 01.04.14 by jdailey1981 and it was:  "I am seeing this a lot on Twitter. I am just really blown away by this. We have a rough season and so many are turning their backs on him, even though he has led IU out of the dark times. What do you think? Are you on the "Fire Tom Crean" train?"

Post #1,000 was on 11.25.15  -  nearly 2 years for the first 1,000.

Post #2,000 was on 12.10.15  -  Only 15 days for the second 1,000     [Gee, did Maui have something to do with that?]

Post #3,000 was on 01.17.16  -  38 days.   People, people, people; we're slowing down.  Is this what a winning streak does or is it because we've become a football school?   :yes:

1. Indiana seems to have found its way. What happened?
Andy Katz: The schedule has helped. But this team has also bought into the concept of team defense. The ball is moving better offensively, according to Tom Crean. And it's clearly the diversity of scoring and sharing of the ball that's working well for the Hoosiers.
Eamonn Brennan: Through five games, Indiana has allowed the fewest points per possession of any team in the Big Ten. No, seriously! As Andy mentioned, this bizarre turn of events is absolutely a product of schedule (those five games: Rutgers, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Ohio State and Minnesota) and plain old collective improvement. There's also a third factor, though there's no joy in bringing it up: James Blackmon Jr.'s season-ending knee injury. That injury, one game before the B1G opener, robbed Crean of a well-liked player and a potent offensive weapon, but it also removed IU's most glaring defensive liability from the rotation. The trade-off -- marginally worse offense, significantly better defense -- is working thus far.
Myron Medcalf: No need to repeat the obvious answer. Indiana has fortified its defense against the league's basement. The Hoosiers are also connecting on nearly 44 percent of their 3-pointers. If you believe Ken Pomeroy, there's not much any opponent can do about that. Don't forget about the steady contributions from freshman Thomas Bryant. He's leading the nation with a 75 percent clip inside the arc. He helps, and he'll be a major factor in Indiana's ability to maintain this rhythm.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/page/word160119/indiana-hoosiers-corrected-their-issues

A lot of favorable posts in here as of late.My position is unchanged, a final 8 "may" buy him another year. A final 4 or better will certainly allow him to stick around. I still don't believe he can coach a complete team nor prepare them for the excellent teams they will need to be ready for late in the tournament.

11 games just does nothing to alter my opinion a bit, especially when we're facing teams in the bottom half of the conference and when we've looked pretty unimpressive ourselves for most of that stretch.  I really don't see how one season, much less 11 games, should be enough to change anyone's opinion or say he deserves more time.  His entire career he's had a year here or there, but he's never been able to sustain it.

Unless people expect me to believe that more than 15 years of evidence isn't indicative of his actual abilities, when even Calipari accomplished more pre-UK than Crean has in his entire career, and on that I couldn't possibly disagree more.

11 games just does nothing to alter my opinion a bit, especially when we're facing teams in the bottom half of the conference and when we've looked pretty unimpressive ourselves for most of that stretch. I really don't see how one season, much less 11 games, should be enough to change anyone's opinion or say he deserves more time. His entire career he's had a year here or there, but he's never been able to sustain it.

Unless people expect me to believe that more than 15 years of evidence isn't indicative of his actual abilities, when even Calipari accomplished more pre-UK than Crean has in his entire career, and on that I couldn't possibly disagree more.

Umm...in 17 years as a head coach pre-UK, Calipari never made a final four, and had two winless seasons.

Umm...in 17 years as a head coach pre-UK, Calipari never made a final four, and had two winless seasons.

He won his conference 7 times and tied for an 8 and only finished below t-3rd 3 times.  4 Sweet 16 appearances and 3 Elite 8 appearances.

That's excluding his vacated seasons.

besides the ones that got vacated at umass and Memphis. They might not show up in record books anymore but he has taken 2 other programs to a final 4

I call bull.

Besides the ones that were vacated?

They WERE vacated!

This is not an endorsement or indictment of CTC. It is merely a fact; that IU's standards and expectations from any coach should be better than two vacated seasons in 17 years.

I call bull.

Besides the ones that were vacated?

They WERE vacated!

This is not an endorsement or indictment of CTC. It is merely a fact; that IU's standards and expectations from any coach should be better than two vacated seasons in 17 years.

Even with vacated FF's he still has 3 - Elite Eights at schools that shouldn't be in the same conversation with Indiana basketball.

Also vacated seasons were ultimately vacated for academics. Has nothing to do with Cal's coaching. He still coached those teams to a Final Four.

Wow, so now we should want a coach like calipari? I'm sorry. I would not be a fan nor a proud alumni if Indiana became a program that was led by that scum. The Sampson years almost made me stop supporting the program.

Don't take my post as some sort of endorsement of Calipari, it's not meant that way at all.  I merely stated that Cal accomplished more before he got to UK than Crean ever has, and it's an undeniable fact even discounting the vacated seasons.

He's a cheating bucket of filth, but he's strictly looking at his resume he's pretty darn accomplished too.

I cant tell if you are purposely leaving out the 2 final fours he made, prior to being at Uk, or if you dont realize he did this due to the fact that the record books dont show them. Either way, he has shown he was capable of taking 2 high mid majors to a final four. Slimy as all get out but very capable coach.

I cant tell if you are purposely leaving out the 2 final fours he made, prior to being at Uk, or if you dont realize he did this due to the fact that the record books dont show them. Either way, he has shown he was capable of taking 2 high mid majors to a final four. Slimy as all get out but very capable coach.

His participation in those final fours was an optical illusion that was later found to have never happened. ;)