Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

I wish he would've won more by year 3 but it was an impossible task. He had to scrap together a recruiting class last minute and couldn't get the kids he wanted. Recruiting kids to Indiana wasn't going to happen overnight because of the mess Sampson left the program in. I for one am willing to see where the rest of this season goes before I throw myself in the fire Crean corner. If there is a collapse and Indiana doesn't get to the dance than yes, it's time to move on. The way Indiana has improved since the beginning of the season, I just don't see a momentous collapse.

A senior McD pg
A couple of veteran/junior wings
A second year 4* off guard
A couple of fifth year seniors that are in the rotation
A McD big that has had a very strong BT start
A couple more solid freshman to provide depth

We have a team loaded with talent and experience. We have youth in the right positions.

All that and it would take missing the tourney for you to think we should make a change.

Your tune seems to have changed. Before you were willing to give him next year.

I am as long as Indiana makes the tourney this year. If the season collapses then I would not want him as coach next year. But I see no reason to fire him with the pieces Indiana had coming next year as long as there is no crazy collapse.

I am as long as Indiana makes the tourney this year. If the season collapses then I would not want him as coach next year. But I see no reason to fire him with the pieces Indiana had coming next year as long as there is no crazy collapse.

Why?  At Indiana making the tourney shouldn't be enough.  Hes got tons of talent right now.  Next year if anything is going to be a less capable team, because we lose Yogi. 

A senior McD pg
A couple of veteran/junior wings
A second year 4* off guard
A couple of fifth year seniors that are in the rotation
A McD big that has had a very strong BT start
A couple more solid freshman to provide depth

We have a team loaded with talent and experience. We have youth in the right positions.

All that and it would take missing the tourney for you to think we should make a change.

Yes. Indiana, even with all that, is not the most talented team in the NCAA. Other b1g teams have just as much talent or stars to their name in recruiting. I actually could care less about how many stars are on a player. Time and time again, upper class and senior led teams perform better. Should Indiana dancing in March be the norm? Yes. This season isn't even over with and somehow the future is already set for a collapse? What if Indiana got all the right match ups and went on a final four run? Would this whole fire Crean debate still go on or would it quiet the criticism until Indiana loses another game...

The worst thing that could happen to IU basketball this year is finishing 5th in the conference, and maybe winning a game in both tournaments. It's either finish 1-3 in the conference and March run, or total collapse and make a change.

I am just at the point where I hope he wins big or bombs big.  No in between.

Yes. Indiana, even with all that, is not the most talented team in the NCAA. Other b1g teams have just as much talent or stars to their name in recruiting. I actually could care less about how many stars are on a player. Time and time again, upper class and senior led teams perform better. Should Indiana dancing in March be the norm? Yes. This season isn't even over with and somehow the future is already set for a collapse? What if Indiana got all the right match ups and went on a final four run? Would this whole fire Crean debate still go on or would it quiet the criticism until Indiana loses another game...

Some will always want him gone. Can't control that and won't try.

It is not all or nothing. We have enough talent and experience to do more than just make the tournament. That is your standard for keep Crean. I think he needs to do much more than just make the tourney. We made it last year - yay.

Having a chance to win one shouldn't be the metric to keep a guy as your head coach.

I feel like you guys are think chitown is saying that's his standards, I believe he's just saying that's what it takes for glass to keep him, I'm sure chitown like all of us would fire crean at the end of this year if he doesn't at least advance past sweet 16.

I feel like you guys are think chitown is saying that's his standards, I believe he's just saying that's what it takes for glass to keep him, I'm sure chitown like all of us would fire crean at the end of this year if he doesn't at least advance past sweet 16.

Thats not what hes saying though.  Hes saying that just making the tournament is acceptable for this group.  Thats ridiculous with our talent.  Making the tournament with this much talent should be a foregone conclusion. 

That would scare the shit out of me if Glass honestly is like "hey if we make the tourney that is good enough". Those are such low standards

There are a few other examples of coaches wasting talent this year too.

Georgetown
Cuse
Duke---kind of---will end well
UK-----kind of-----will end well
UCLA
LSU
O$U

Others too. We need a Coach we can be confident will turn things around. Like Duke, MSU, UK, Louisville, etc. problem is NOBODY trusts Crean to figure things out within the season and hope off season changes will make us better.

As it should but I also think that's all it takes for him to keep his job next season.

Don't think so.  "Making the tournament" in season 8 won't be enough unless we win the Big Ten.  If we get a high seed and get upset, that's one thing.  We collapse down the stretch, get a middle seed, and get beat?  That's another.  In the former scenario, Crean keeps his job for sure.  In the latter?  I don't know how he can be retained.  If Indiana finishes below 3rd in the Big Ten and gets beat in the first round, there's no justifiable reason for keeping Tom Crean.

There are a few other examples of coaches wasting talent this year too.

Georgetown
Cuse
Duke---kind of---will end well
UK-----kind of-----will end well
UCLA
LSU
O$U

Others too. We need a Coach we can be confident will turn things around. Like Duke, MSU, UK, Louisville, etc. problem is NOBODY trusts Crean to figure things out within the season and hope off season changes will make us better.

agree with most of this list but I would give cuse a pass because I believe most of their losses came with boeheim was suspended. I think that shows the importance of a high level coach ( I don't like to admit he is a good coach) I would add nc state to your list as well

Thats not what hes saying though. Hes saying that just making the tournament is acceptable for this group. Thats ridiculous with our talent. Making the tournament with this much talent should be a foregone conclusion.

My point is very simple. There is just no way, no matter how much you or others hope, that Crean will be gone if his team makes the tourney this year. Without a complete collaspe, it looks like they will. You can kick and scream and hold your breath til it's blue but it just won't happen. As for getting rid of Glass, that's not going to happen either. He is in charge of just more than basketball and quite honestly, he is doing a pretty good job at it. I'm done on this topic now. This season isn't close to over and until it is, I personally cannot judge if this season was a success or not.

Don't think so. "Making the tournament" in season 8 won't be enough unless we win the Big Ten. If we get a high seed and get upset, that's one thing. We collapse down the stretch, get a middle seed, and get beat? That's another. In the former scenario, Crean keeps his job for sure. In the latter? I don't know how he can be retained. If Indiana finishes below 3rd in the Big Ten and gets beat in the first round, there's no justifiable reason for keeping Tom Crean.

My point is it's not about your opinion or my opinion on whether Crean deserves a next season, it's up to Glass. If we make the tourney and lose first round I say that's good enough for Glass. If you think Glass needs more then I hope you're right.