Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

7th & Bryan

So what's the deal with the jerseys?

Can anyone give an example of uniforms being the reason a program rose back to the top...?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

No but I found Joe’s family video. He likes tradition. He has kept that scowl for 25 years. IMG_1296.jpg.973e5b682a7b24d114077143bb826755.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

No one is saying that it is going to make us great again. But it is annoying seeing people get butt hurt because “muh tradition.”

You’ve certainly implied it. Our jerseys are fine, who cares, let’s focus on improving the on the court product and then we can talk about how to make our team look like the belle of the ball.

10 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Can anyone give an example of uniforms being the reason a program rose back to the top...?

Not the single reason, but conversely name one top 10 program in college basketball that has the same views on its uniforms as IU does... 0... Its a piece of the pie we need to address in order to get back in the top 10. Again its a piece of the pie, not the whole thing, and how big that piece is has yet to be seen.

That's why I dislike Fred Glass' initiative to really limit the creative ability of any of the sports teams at IU including basketball,.I feel it really handcuffs the team in its ability to be creative, innovative, and progressive. 

Edited by southernindianahoosier2

I tend to agree with Joe to an extent. Like it or not young HS kids like creativity with uniforms. That's also why you see so many more accessories (sleeves, pads, stockings) being used today vs 25 years ago. Will changing uni's up increase on the court productivity? No. But will attract more talent? Maybe. I'm not suggesting a drastic change. I am on board with an alternate "script" jersey with names on the back but still use our current or old/ current has the primary uni's.

Sent from my Pixel XL using BtownBanners mobile app

No one is saying that it is going to make us great again. But it is annoying seeing people get butt hurt because “muh tradition.”

I personally don't care what the uniforms look like as long as they don't look have the neon colors

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Oregon, also coincided with Phil Knight putting in a trillion dollars or so into the school.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I love you guys but you are out there on this one. Hell and I am fine with some changes too. Honestly the most drastic change is putting the names on the back. I don’t see that happening but I am down for whatever from a branding perspective.

I love you guys but you are out there on this one. Hell and I am fine with some changes too. Honestly the most drastic change is putting the names on the back. I don’t see that happening but I am down for whatever from a branding perspective.

Lol. Yeah. I’ve have no passion for this discussion. I’m open to whatever.

Keep traditional jerseys and get a couple Alts to satisfy the rest. That’s my opinion.

9 minutes ago, Joe DeLow said:

I have a feeling kids didn’t want to wear those pink UofL jerseys. But we have no excuse to not let Adidas throw out whatever jersey they want. Put some stripes on them, wear black or gray, put names on them. Doesn’t matter. We’d probably get a better contract from Adidas if we were more flexible. Only one style of font? Glass made a dumb decision there. The script lettering would look awesome on the jerseys. The problem isn’t getting kids. It is boring to never change. Hell before this year the only thing worth waiting for was which helmet the football team was wearing. I wanna see something nice and different for a change. The old people can get mad all they want.

The old people are generally the ones with the deeper pockets....

I've seen so many times in recent posts "forget tradition" or "tradition means nothing".  I've also seen people upset that our teams lack "identity".  IU's identity is tradition, like it or not.  I'm not speaking for all, but a lot of the wealthy donors love IU for our tradition.  If we start changing things, I very easily see donations decreasing.  Names on the back are simply not part of what IU does.  

3 minutes ago, mamasa said:

I've seen so many times in recent posts "forget tradition" or "tradition means nothing".  I've also seen people upset that our teams lack "identity".  IU's identity is tradition, like it or not.  I'm not speaking for all, but a lot of the wealthy donors love IU for our tradition.  If we start changing things, I very easily see donations decreasing.  Names on the back are simply not part of what IU does.  

I'm not one of the totally passionate posters on this issue, but I will note that recruits are attracted to different things.  Some like hot pink jerseys with a Jordan logo, others like the traditional stuff.  I'm with Mamasa here, let's not throw away one of the things that makes us unique.  Other programs would kill to have the tradition we have.  Surely no one will mind if we have alternate jerseys as well.  I'd like to see a play on the crimson a little more, a little darker.  I like the script.  And let the guys have a modern cut.  Look good, play good.  

Lol we just got a top 5 kid in Romeo and two top 25 kids for next year (I am banking Brooks). What kid would we have got if we had different uniforms? Like I don’t even care if we make some changes to our jerseys but you guys put way too much stock in what a jersey’s appearance means for a kid. I can honestly say with the utmost confidence there has never been negative recruiting against a jersey that should look different. I can also say and be willing to bet a kid liked a school and said nope, I am not going there because of the jersey. Do you guys realize how ludicrous this sounds?

It's not an absolute deal breaker or even close. Not what I'm saying. If you feel though that 18 year old kids don't care about petty stuff like this I think you're wrong. Again clearly they aren't making a decision on jerseys but being trendy or unique from time to time certainly wouldn't hurt.

It's not an absolute deal breaker or even close. Not what I'm saying. If you feel though that 18 year old kids don't care about petty stuff like this I think you're wrong. Again clearly they aren't making a decision on jerseys but being trendy or unique from time to time certainly wouldn't hurt.

No I don’t think this even remotely is a thought when considering a business decision. I actually have an 18 year old. I am around kids that age every day. Being trendy has nothing to do with a jersey. When kids are being trendy talking about being recruited by Duke do you think at any point someone says, “That Duke blue is lit!” No. They talk about Coach K. Cameron indoor. The previous classes. The titles. The pros. The one and dones. The crazies. Never once and I would bet anyone on this is someone talking about Duke and discussing their jersey unless they are putting it on and how much it means. You guys are trying way too hard to make something out of nothing. Nobody cares about minor changes. I know I don’t, but literally this means less than nothing. It is not a thought to prospective recruit. If it is, we might as well keep it as is because Archie is doing pretty damn good in that department which is counterproductive to your guys argument.

I have a feeling kids didn’t want to wear those pink UofL jerseys. But we have no excuse to not let Adidas throw out whatever jersey they want. Put some stripes on them, wear black or gray, put names on them. Doesn’t matter. We’d probably get a better contract from Adidas if we were more flexible. Only one style of font? Glass made a dumb decision there. The script lettering would look awesome on the jerseys. The problem isn’t getting kids. It is boring to never change. Hell before this year the only thing worth waiting for was which helmet the football team was wearing. I wanna see something nice and different for a change. The old people can get mad all they want.

“The old people can get mad all they want.”

You are the only one mad in all of this because there isn’t change so I don’t know what you are talking about.

No I don’t think this even remotely is a thought when considering a business decision. I actually have an 18 year old. I am around kids that age every day. Being trendy has nothing to do with a jersey. When kids are being trendy talking about being recruited by Duke do you think at any point someone says, “That Duke blue is lit!” No. They talk about Coach K. Cameron indoor. The previous classes. The titles. The pros. The one and dones. The crazies. Never once and I would bet anyone on this is someone talking about Duke and discussing their jersey unless they are putting it on and how much it means. You guys are trying way too hard to make something out of nothing. Nobody cares about minor changes. I know I don’t, but literally this means less than nothing. It is not a thought to prospective recruit. If it is, we might as well keep it as is because Archie is doing pretty damn good in that department which is counterproductive to your guys argument.

Agree to disagree and again I don't think it's a huge deal either way. I guess my main point is it simply will not hurt to change things up with an alt. Could it help? Idk maybe more than it'd hurt (which is none). I'm now done with this discussion beyond saying I'd like the alternate uni.

I’d love to see an alternate with the script Indiana but I’m not for the names on the back. At all. If a kid brought that up while recruiting my answer would be simple. “We play for the name on the front, but don’t worry, our fans will know your name and number before you play your first game.”