Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

2019 General Recruiting Thread

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Then why didn’t we do our good diligence last year?

Who's to say we didn't. I'm sure the staff sees tons of kids that they like but who are not priorities for one reason or another. The fact that there is interest now tells me they were well aware of his skill set.

IU’s staff watched him several times during the summer. Did they show interest in him? Probably not. But they also had Brooks, Carton and others as priorities at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Sounds like the kid has the potential to become an elite 3 point shooter. You don't shoot 46% over the summer on accident. I'm not worried about his recruiting ranking. Aaron Henry wasn't highly rated at all and he's starting on a final four team as a freshman.

There's something to be said about a player who plays with toughness and an edge to them. All season long we complained that our players were soft, they didn't show heart, etc. Now that Archie is after a kid who has the traits we've been wanting all year people complain that he doesn't have enough stars next to his name or a good enough offer list.

18 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Sounds like the kid has the potential to become an elite 3 point shooter. You don't shoot 46% over the summer on accident. I'm not worried about his recruiting ranking. Aaron Henry wasn't highly rated at all and he's starting on a final four team as a freshman.

There's something to be said about a play who plays with toughness and an edge to them. All season long we complained that our players were soft, they didn't show heart, etc. Now that Archie is after a kid who has the traits we've been wanting all year people complain that he doesn't have enough stars next to his name or a good enough offer list.

Henry was a Rivals four star that had offers from 4 Big Ten schools, Xavier, Butler and others.......

I’m not complaining about Archie’s offer nor do I care about the lack of stars. Just wondering why an Indiana All Star that is a dead eye 3 point shooter, can create his own shot, has good size, was visible being on TJD’s AAU team and playing in Indy, did not attract offers from any power schools or ISU/Ball State/Valpo etc. etc.  I have never seen him play so I think that’s a legitimate question. Maybe he just slipped through the cracks, greatly improved his senior year....Just was asking/wondering.

23 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Maybe they did and he didn’t track like they wanted. Then he worked his but off during the season and got better and it caught the staffs eye once his recruitment opened back up.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Right. Not everybody develops at the same pace. I haven't seen him play, but it's possible he showed a lot more in his high school season than he had showed before. 

Right. Not everybody develops at the same pace. I haven't seen him play, but it's possible he showed a lot more in his high school season than he had showed before. 
Lets hope so. He was ranked 25th in the state per 247.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I believe we are scrambling a bit. Not feeling great about Beverly or Quinones. That said Windham still may be a good addition.
I think we are scrambling. Put alot of eggs in the brooks basket.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

Henry was a Rivals four star that had offers from 4 Big Ten schools, Xavier, Butler and others.......

I’m not complaining about Archie’s offer nor do I care about the lack of stars. Just wondering why an Indiana All Star that is a dead eye 3 point shooter, can create his own shot, has good size, was visible being on TJD’s AAU team and playing in Indy, did not attract offers from any power schools or ISU/Ball State/Valpo etc. etc.  I have never seen him play so I think that’s a legitimate question. Maybe he just slipped through the cracks, greatly improved his senior year....Just was asking/wondering.

Didn't mean to compare the two as players, just that sometimes lower ranked guys end up outperforming their rankings by a lot. And sorry if you thought I was singling you out, I just meant it as a general comment, not about anyone in particular. Henry was ranked much higher than Windham is, but he was still ranked outside of the top 100 and I think most didn't expect him to contribute as much as he has as a freshman. 

55 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Didn't mean to compare the two as players, just that sometimes lower ranked guys end up outperforming their rankings by a lot. And sorry if you thought I was singling you out, I just meant it as a general comment, not about anyone in particular. Henry was ranked much higher than Windham is, but he was still ranked outside of the top 100 and I think most didn't expect him to contribute as much as he has as a freshman. 

No problem. And yes I 100% agree that some lower ranked players end up better than higher ranked guys.  Recruiting is a numbers game. I would guess that 100 highly ranked players turn out better, on average, than 100 low ranked players but there are certainly exceptions (in both directions) within that top 100.

It is hard to measure a guys heart, desire to get better, physical/mental changes and progress between Freshman and Senior years.

58 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

Just me, but knowing Coach Hunter as I do I would take going to play for Georgia St. over those schools ISU,Ball St or Valpo.

31 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Just me, but knowing Coach Hunter as I do I would take going to play for Georgia St. over those schools ISU,Ball St or Valpo.

I agree....Just saying suprised that none of them offered when he was in their back yard.

Don't give a crap about rankings. Personality trait #1 in my book is being driven not to lose. I want players that hate losing even more than enjoy winning. With that I want guys that don't care if they get their averages as long as they don't lose. If this kid has that I'm then I'm sold.

Sent from my Pixel XL using BtownBanners mobile app

Give me this all day every day and twice a day in the off season. I don’t think people rate competitive spirit high enough. If he’s only getting a few minutes here and there as an underclassman but busting his backside I’ll take him. We wouldn’t have had a 1-12 slide with competitors on the roster.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

4 hours ago, DChoosier said:

I think that in recruiting sometimes players ratings rise when they are recruited by high majors and not vice versa.  FWIW, Henry's ratings started really going up after he received a couple of high major offers and not before.

FWIW, there are Four Stars and there are four stars.  Four star ratings are anywhere from 30th to 120th.  Henry was at 114 on rivals.  247 -- which I like better as it gives a composite of all ranking services -- had him at 141 and a three star.

Windham's rating isn't high -- 439 two star recruit on 247 -- but I would say that he probably hasn't ever been re-ranked since he signed with Georgia State.  Anyway, from everything we've read at this point we are only talking about a feeler on him, not an offer.

Just now, brumdog45 said:

I think that in recruiting sometimes players ratings rise when they are recruited by high majors and not vice versa.  FWIW, Henry's ratings started really going up after he received a couple of high major offers and not before.

FWIW, there are Four Stars and there are four stars.  Four star ratings are anywhere from 30th to 120th.  Henry was at 114 on rivals.  247 -- which I like better as it gives a composite of all ranking services -- had him at 141 and a three star.

Windham's rating isn't high -- 439 two star recruit on 247 -- but I would say that he probably hasn't ever been re-ranked since he signed with Georgia State.  Anyway, from everything we've read at this point we are only talking about a feeler on him, not an offer.

FWIW, one thing I'm not a fan of -- if this is what they would go off of -- is they like his shooting based on AAU play as opposed to high school.  He was a 36% shooter from three at Ben Davis this year and shot 47% from three in AAU.  Gelon Grant was signed at IU after seeing him perform in AAU......I saw him play in high school and knew how bad of a whiff he was going to be.  AAU's defense.....particularly perimeter defense....is pretty lazy.

People just remember a recruits last ranking after they are seniors. Henry had 0 high major offers his first 3 years of college. Greg Lansing of ISU was the only college coach I saw even evaluating him during his sophomore and junior year. Henry halfway through his junior year flipped a switch and he started tearing it up and eventually had a run during the State tourney that was amazing. After that I wanted IU to recruit him. Still no high major offers for him until his play in the summer circuit. By them racked him the high majors. If anyone remembers I wrote on here how I felt sorry for Lansing for putting all that time in recruiting him early and then him blowing up and being an afterthought. I felt great him getting noticed

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners