Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

(2018) SG Romeo Langford - INDIANA HOOSIERS

31 minutes ago, InArchWeTrust said:

I know it's probably pretty easy for someone with his talent level in high school to do, but anyone know if RoMeO likes to play defense? 

I don't think there is any question. He gave a 6'8-6'9 Bazley a run for his money defensively. I watched him battle Nunge and Hemingway last year in the regional. His versatility in this aspect of his game is impressive. 

There are only 2 possibilities here IMO.  # 1 he's known all along where he's going and didn't announce either to avoid backlash or else because he wanted to build his brand by using the IU fan base and all the increased exposure it provides.  Or #2 he truly has been undecided.  If that's the case I'm wrong and he's 100 percent going to IU.  Nothing that has come to light the past few months would make anyone favor Vandy.  They are a dumpster fire and are losing the few decent players they have.  Drewfus can't coach.  They have no fans and play in an empty arena.  Sittu tore his ACL and who knows how ready he'll be.

Meanwhile Archie has IU playing some of the best ball in the B1G after maybe only MSU and is looking like a terrific coach.  We have a great core returning in Morgan, Green, Smith, Mcroberts, and Davis as well a very good recruiting class.  Furthermore, Romeo is the perfect fit for IU.  The only thing next year's team is missing is that elite scorer who fill it up.  Romeo provides exactly that.  If he truly has been undecided it's IU all the way and Ill gladly eat crow on this for being so wrong.

Make up your mind. You just said two days ago he's going to vandy and decided in october.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

The Vandy insiders are certain that Romeo’s coming. I DM’d one guy back when Garland committed and he said that Garland told them directly that Romeo has already verballed. 
Disclaimer: I believed and still believe that he was full of ****. Not consistent with how the Langford’s have handled the situation so far.
For such a crappy program they sure are full of themselves. Man it wpuld be fun to see them get burned on this

I've gone back and fourth with DBM throughout this recruitment and disagree with a lot of his thoughts on this, but the one thing I've got to concede is how in the world does Langford not know? It's not like he just trimmed his list and has spent the season taking his officials to 5 different schools. 
His list has been trimmed for months and months, his officials were completed in October. He's been to an IU game and a Vandy game, and has had Drew and Self in for more than one visit. When I see things like 'this could go into April if he doesn't know yet', it just makes me scratch my head. 
We've all made major life decisions at some point or another, whether it's picking a college, changing jobs, deciding to move, etc., and at every step you have someone like a parent, spouse, friend that sits you down when you're indecisive and they can tell what you really want to do and then make you feel comfortable about your decision. How have the Langford's not had that talk? It's literally been 5 months. 
The only thing I can think of is that he was a heavy Vandy lean, but decided to give Archie a true shot and part of that true shot was giving him the season to see how he coaches, get to know him and the staff better and attend a game, etc. I don't think it had anything to do with the Langford's being afraid of backlash. I think they truly wanted to give Archie a chance.  
With that said, I view that as a positive for IU. I don't see how you could watch this season and not be truly impressed with Archie, how the team has developed, and of course the long lines of IU fans. It also means he was not 100% sold by Vandy, or else he would have wrapped this up already. Will it be enough? I don't know. I hope so. But, that is the only scenario where I can fathom this hasn't been over for months. 
You guys are funny. Why is it so hard to comprehend he honestly is and has been undecided? I dont get it.

Probably doesn't mean anything but I read on another board from someone "As close to the Garland's as it gets", the Garlands believe Romeo to IU. Same guy said last week that we'll be happy when Romeo announces.
I doubt you ever hear those words out of the Ad's mouth. He will stay in his ear til the bitter end

40 minutes ago, akinnaird24 said:

and he also shut Keion Brooks down. Brooks could hardly get a shot off. He would fit in perfectly!

I figured that was the case, but don't think I've seen the question posed on here.  I like the sounds of everything to do with this kid.

56 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

You guys are funny. Why is it so hard to comprehend he honestly is and has been undecided? I dont get it.

I'm not sure who you're lumping me in with? I've consistently been more on your side of the thought process in terms of this recruitment. 

But with that said, he's gathered almost all of the information. This isn't a Spring announcement like where Bryant was still taking his officials during the season. Langford had completed all of his officials to his three schools, he's also gone on unofficials to IU and Vandy, he's had Kansas and Vandy for in-homes and at games. 

I may have worded my post poorly. My point wasn't that he made the decision in October and has just been sitting on it. I've consistently said that the idea that he's known but held off because of backlash is ridiculous. My point was that I can't imagine why it would take this long with all the info/visits he has and has taken.

He must be leaning to a certain school. What else is there to gather? My point was that the waiting is good for IU because Archie was late to the game, so I'm guessing he held off to give Archie/IU a real shot. 

1 hour ago, Magnanimous said:

If Archie wants to seal the deal on this, he needs to get Eric Gordon in town while Romeo visits, or at least sell him on Gordon's story of how even a one-and-done can stay connected to the university after all these years, especially considering his ties to the state. 

Exactly this!  Romeo could play in Bloomington for one year (or more), and with any success become permanently enshrined within Assembly Hall and Cook Hall.  When I come to Bloomington for games, I still look in awe at pictures of the Indiana greats like Eric Gordon, Cody, Zeller, Damon Bailey, Calbert Cheaney, Steve Alford, Yogi Ferrell, Kent Benson, Steve Downing, Brain Evans, Greg Graham, Alan Henderson, Jordan Hulls, Jared Jeffries, Ted Kitchell, Bobby Leonrad, Jimmy Rayl, Ray Tolbert, Landon Turner, Randy Whitman, Mike Woodson,  Bobby Wilkerson, and many others.  We all know these names and recognize the pictures, some from many decades ago.  All from Indiana.

Sure there are others like Victor and Isiah, and so many more, but the players from the state are all special and certainly Indiana legends.  Romeo has the opportunity to join this elite list.  After playing a year in Nashville, he would be soon forgotten.  His picture hanging in the Vanderbilt arena, if they even do that, would just be background fodder.   Heck, outside of Nashville, he is probably not known well at all through the state of Tennessee.  He is however, know throughout the entire state of Indiana.  Be a one and done with a program with no college basketball relevance, only to be soon forgotten (ask any UK fan who was on their team five years ago, or even last year for that matter), and a team that will most likely not contend for conference or post-season titles, OR become and Indiana Hoosier legend, on a team with a good returning base, good recruiting class, great fan support, historic and top shelf facilities, rising coach and staff...it would seem the choice is obvious.  

Here's hoping to see Romeo's picture in Assembly Hall and Cook Hall in a few years along with the other Indiana basketball legends.

19 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I'm not sure who you're lumping me in with? I've consistently been more on your side of the thought process in terms of this recruitment. 

But with that said, he's gathered almost all of the information. This isn't a Spring announcement like where Bryant was still taking his officials during the season. Langford had completed all of his officials to his three schools, he's also gone on unofficials to IU and Vandy, he's had Kansas and Vandy for in-homes and at games. 

I may have worded my post poorly. My point wasn't that he made the decision in October and has just been sitting on it. I've consistently said that the idea that he's known but held off because of backlash is ridiculous. My point was that I can't imagine why it would take this long with all the info/visits he has and has taken.

He must be leaning to a certain school. What else is there to gather? My point was that the waiting is good for IU because Archie was late to the game, so I'm guessing he held off to give Archie/IU a real shot. 

Completely agree. However, leaning, which suspect is true, and nailing down the decision are two very different things. Considering how late to the party IU was, this is pretty remarkable.

28 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I think he is giving Archie a real shot despite dbm saying its been over since October.

Just now, Bailey7878 said:

I think he is giving Archie a real shot despite dbm saying its been over since October.

Agree. I wasn't trying to say otherwise. I also don't believe that every team has been completely equal since October and he's still in a full fact-finding/info gathering phase either. He has to know where he's leaning or have a good idea by this point. Doesn't mean it's done. 

Completely agree. However, leaning, which suspect is true, and nailing down the decision are two very different things. Considering how late to the party IU was, this is pretty remarkable.

Those that keep commenting on how late to the game we were etc is no longer valid. It’s been almost a year and has only been talking to 3 coaches for a long time.

People have met, dated, got engaged and married in this time frame. People talk like he just jumped into this with IU/Archie recently when that’s not the case at all

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 minute ago, MikeRoberts said:

Those that keep commenting on how late to the game we were etc is no longer valid. It’s been almost a year and has only been talking to 3 coaches for a long time.

People have met, dated, got engaged and married in this time frame. People talk like he just jumped into this with IU/Archie recently when that’s not the case at all

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

The point about being late to the game is that he hadn't had a chance to see Archie coach up close. I doubt he was following Dayton too closely the last few years. So it wouldn't be out of the realm, especially in a recruitment that has been very measured and precise, that he wanted to follow Indiana and the staff closely this season. At least for me, that's what I mean by late to the game. 

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The point about being late to the game is that he hadn't had a chance to see Archie coach up close. I doubt he was following Dayton too closely the last few years. So it wouldn't be out of the realm, especially in a recruitment that has been very measured and precise, that he wanted to follow Indiana and the staff closely this season. At least for me, that's what I mean by late to the game. 

That, and relationships matter whether we want to admit it or not. CAM has been in contact with him for less than a year. Getting to know and trust a coach takes a bit of time. Coach Drew has been building his relationship for a much longer period.

I agree. We've had plenty of time now. I'd think the longer you watch drew the more it hurts vandy. I simply don't buy dbm and others claim this has been over since October. Why even bother visiting iu again then? It's a waste of time.

That, and relationships matter whether we want to admit it or not. CAM has been in contact with him for less than a year. Getting to know and trust a coach takes a bit of time. Coach Drew has been building his relationship for a much longer period.
The only one who would bring him to vandy is the AD. Without him drew would not have a prayer

There are only 2 possibilities here IMO.  # 1 he's known all along where he's going and didn't announce either to avoid backlash or else because he wanted to build his brand by using the IU fan base and all the increased exposure it provides.  Or #2 he truly has been undecided.  If that's the case I'm wrong and he's 100 percent going to IU.  Nothing that has come to light the past few months would make anyone favor Vandy.  They are a dumpster fire and are losing the few decent players they have.  Drewfus can't coach.  They have no fans and play in an empty arena.  Sittu tore his ACL and who knows how ready he'll be.

Meanwhile Archie has IU playing some of the best ball in the B1G after maybe only MSU and is looking like a terrific coach.  We have a great core returning in Morgan, Green, Smith, Mcroberts, and Davis as well a very good recruiting class.  Furthermore, Romeo is the perfect fit for IU.  The only thing next year's team is missing is that elite scorer who fill it up.  Romeo provides exactly that.  If he truly has been undecided it's IU all the way and Ill gladly eat crow on this for being so wrong.

Huh. I thought the only possibility was he choose vandy in October and this is a done deal. The AD got to him remember!