Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ALASKA HOOSIER

A Letter to Coach Robert M. Knight- From the fans

Alaska - A heartfelt effort but there have been so many overtures made to him over the years and at every overture he has chosen to flip IU the bird.  Not only has he flipped the bird at our school in general, but he flipped the bird directly in the face of A. J. Guyton who begged him to come back for A. J.'s induction and he flipped the bird in the face of every member of the 1976 championship team.

A great coach and 3 of the banners that hang in AH are a tribute to his coaching ability.  I'm old enough to have followed him from the first day he arrived in Bloomington but I've had more than enough of his self-centered over-inflated ego and frankly, I don't care if he never comes back and I think there's many more like me who would only be too happy to flip the bird in his face.

I wrote him a letter when he was at TT and asked him for a favor. I did not know him nor did I have any friend of his refer me. On the same day he received my letter he honored my request.

At some point a letter like the OPs, a nudge from Vitale or something similar may year down that wall. I doubt it will happen but it is worth the effort. Unfortunately, not only is he stubborn, I also think he does not care. The reunion would initially be more for Indiana and the fans but I think in the end he would be blown away at the reception and it would mean a great deal to him too. Just not sure the path to his heart will ever open.

I too, wrote him a letter down at TT and he answered. I don't have his email address so i figured i could do it here and maybe, just maybe, he would see it since alot of Btown Banners new topics are shown in google searches, Bleacher report headings and elsewhere. I am trying to receive closure and move on but I needed to try at my little bitty meaningless level. I want to move on, but i have to at least try, as a fan of his and the teams. I don't want to see him as a crotchety old fart who doesn't care and can't forgive. Call me selfish but I want him to go down for the good things he has done for MY INDIANA UNIVERSITY. A.J. Guyton has tried, the players have tried, the administration has tried. Why can't I, after hearing all the negativity that will reflect on MY INDIANA UNIVERSITY. I am a "nobody" to him, but at least i want my voice heard by him. To do nothing would lead to, nothing. I have tried. If nothing becomes of it, then I will move on. This is only an attempt by one person to reach out, as a voice for some of us. I wish people would move on too, but only after they at least try.

I think loyalty is one of his good qualities. I'm afraid he's too stubborn to allow that quality to come through at this point. To be honest, I wish he would just come home and put this crap to bed, but I'm not sure that happens. If it ever happens, I'm guessing it will be like Mellencamp playing at the 'Bluebird'. (It will just happen... maybe, he will ride up on a Harley ....)

I think loyalty is one of his good qualities. I'm afraid he's too stubborn to allow that quality to come through at this point. To be honest, I wish he would just come home and put this crap to bed, but I'm not sure that happens. If it ever happens, I'm guessing it will be like Mellencamp playing at the 'Bluebird'. (It will just happen... maybe, he will ride up on a Harley ....)

The thing that frustrates me about his "loyalty" is that the former players, most of whom are really good guys, are constantly in or out of his circle. Buckner said this last week, with a "you know how Coach is" comment. They should not have to check with Coach Knight about every conceivable life decision they make. That's just so silly. Coach Knight has many good qualities, but it saddens me to see him head down this path. I know some people have said he's moved on, but basically ignoring a lot of your former players who still adore you doesn't indicate that to me.

Pat tried and DV tried but a fan angle who wanted to try and influence him as the OP stated is a new angle. I mentioned Pat and DV as potential messengers for this new approach. They would not be trying to get him back based on their thoughts but based on a groundswell of fan support. They just happened to be the ones we found to deliver the message.

I don't think it would work but I would be on board with one last attempt to bring him back. Maybe one of the message boards could sponsor the effort.