Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Walking Boot of Doom

It's not easy being Tom Crean

I have not done the research, but, I am willing to bet that our recruiting rank has been better or equal to Wiscy, since our B1G conference championship. We have been middle of the pack. Where were they?

I did some research several months ago and wish I could post the excel spreadsheets. Since 2012 IU has averaged the best recruiting classes in the B1G, per rankings. OSU is second, then Michigan, MSU, pu, and then Wisconsin among the program's I researched. During that same time IU only outperforms pu in overall win%, B1G win %, and tourney win%.

I did some research several months ago and wish I could post the excel spreadsheets. Since 2012 IU has averaged the best recruiting classes in the B1G, per rankings. OSU is second, then Michigan, MSU, pu, and then Wisconsin among the program's I researched. During that same time IU only outperforms pu in overall win%, B1G win %, and tourney win%.

That sounds like underperformance to me.

That sounds like underperformance to me.

We've also had 5ish more recruits than the next closest program (pu). Numbers might be a little off because it was done before the 2015 class was completed. We've had more 5* (four) than all the other programs as well, tied for second in 4*.

patience? Programs nowadays can be built in 1 recruiting class if done correctly. Ask Kentucky, they do it every season.

1. This is the problem. If you want to recruit in the grey area than in sure Crean could get 5 stars consistently. But our program would need to turn into the Kentuckys to compete. I for one don't want to be associated with such.
2. Once again, if we want our basketball programs to be like the Kentuckys, then our fan base has to come off their moral high road. Why would any top OAD recruit want to come to IU when they could be possibly suspended or kicked off the team for alcohol citations.
3. Some people don't want to give him a pass on his first 3 years but reasonable fans knew it was going to take at least 4 years to get his type of players. Am I satisfied with his overall performance as a coach? Somewhat but I also know hard it is to win by doing things the right way. This season just started and there's fans already wishing he was fired...

In what world was Pitino or Calipari interested in the IU job?

According to the guys I turn to for info.....i.e. ties to the program back then. Both guys were interested but IU wasn't. We were coming into the Sampson sanctions and IU wanted a squeaky clean image. The goal wasn't to hire the best coach. It was to hire the safest guy who wouldn't get us into trouble again.

You don't have to believe me and I don't care if you do.

1. This is the problem. If you want to recruit in the grey area than in sure Crean could get 5 stars consistently. But our program would need to turn into the Kentuckys to compete. I for one don't want to be associated with such.
2. Once again, if we want our basketball programs to be like the Kentuckys, then our fan base has to come off their moral high road. Why would any top OAD recruit want to come to IU when they could be possibly suspended or kicked off the team for alcohol citations.
3. Some people don't want to give him a pass on his first 3 years but reasonable fans knew it was going to take at least 4 years to get his type of players. Am I satisfied with his overall performance as a coach? Somewhat but I also know hard it is to win by doing things the right way. This season just started and there's fans already wishing he was fired...

1. No such thing as grey area in recruiting. It's either illegal or it's not. If Crean isn't doing everything possible to get a top recruit within the rules then he isn't doing his job.

2. It's not unreasonable to expect improvement each year until the program could be sustainable as a top Big Ten team. Simple improvement would have sufficed so it's not unreasonable to hold year 3 against him when we failed to do that in conference.

According to the guys I turn to for info.....i.e. ties to the program back then. Both guys were interested but IU wasn't. We were coming into the Sampson sanctions and IU wanted a squeaky clean image. The goal wasn't to hire the best coach. It was to hire the safest guy who wouldn't get us into trouble again.

Heard this as well from the old scout site. Heard calipari told someone he'd crawl to Bloomington from Memphis for the job.

There was info on that site that Bob Kravitz had communication that Izzo wanted the job until he found out Crean was also interested. Not sure how much truth there is to that.

Great. Because I don't believe you.

Yes, Calipari and Pitino both showed interest in the IU job. But I believe Pitino's interest was after the Knight firing before he went to Louisville. It was documented that Pitino's wife, being a big city girl ,refused to consider living in Btown so it was nixed early. we've missed on some major coaching talent since 2000.

Heard this as well from the old scout site. Heard calipari told someone he'd crawl to Bloomington from Memphis for the job.

There was info on that site that Bob Kravitz had communication that Izzo wanted the job until he found out Crean was also interested. Not sure how much truth there is to that.

I remember Bob Kravitz saying Izzo was interested.  I'd heard rumors that Cal told someone he wanted the IU job and I'd heard rumors of Pitino, but I don't know how much stock to put in it.

He is a good coach. /grabs bucket, vomits

I wouldn't want him because you can't separate the coach from the filth.

I hear you brother. I really think he would have a similar one and done system at IU since IU is a brand in my opinion. Banner 6 would be hanging. 10 years from now idk if it would still be hanging but none the less he hasn't been found of any wrong doing yet.

On a serious note though in my honest opinion if he was here winning at the clip he is at Kentucky IU fans would defending him and up and down just like UK fans do. IU would be a giant right now.

Ps I'm mad drunk right now and feel like I am spitting knowledge. But I really believe this.

Preach my man. Preach.

It always cracks me up when people mention throwing out Crean's first three seasons. When he first got here we had fans predicting NIT. The next year, we had fans predicting NCAA tourney. The next year, those fans expected the NCAA tourney. Yet as the losses piled up and we set up shop in the Big Ten basement, it always came back to "having patience" and not expecting too much after starting from scratch. 

Good coaches rarely waste any time in demonstrating their quality. I saw very little in Crean's second or third seasons that led me to believe he was ever going to be elite here. 

On a serious note though in my honest opinion if he was here winning at the clip he is at Kentucky IU fans would defending him and up and down just like UK fans do. IU would be a giant right now.

Ps I'm mad drunk right now and feel like I am spitting knowledge. But I really believe this.

Eh?  I'm not so sure.  I took a step back when that coach was hired.  I'm not about that style.

Eh? I'm not so sure. I took a step back when that coach was hired. I'm not about that style.

You are probably right. I think their would be the initial group that would be like wtf but as a whole I think most of the fan base would be like f yeah as long as Ws keep piling up.