Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

weaverswonders6

Travel Thread

So my fiancee and I do quite a bit of traveling, always trying to push ourselves to try new places, meet new people,etc... Back in July we did a two week trip to Sweden, Denmark, and Estonia.

I was hoping we could have a travel thread in here too for ideas of restaurants, attractions, hotels,etc...in different locations around the U.S.A and the rest of the world.

Just last week, we purchased tickets to travel to Iceland in February. Anyone here ever been? If so, was it in winter/summer? We know we're renting a car to travel to different waterfalls and to try and see the northern lights. Any advice is appreciated.

Never really traveled, but love Gatlinburg, TN. So much to do there, especially if you like the outdoors. There are some very nice restaurants there as well.

The Apple Barn used to be thee place to go. Unfortunately it has went from being a must go to okay. They have some of the best apple fritters and apple butter. So good!!!

I'm hoping to travel to Maine in the near future. Well, it won't be for another two years because I'm going to Florida with the in-laws and Table Rock Lake here in Missouri next year.

So my fiancee and I do quite a bit of traveling, always trying to push ourselves to try new places, meet new people,etc... Back in July we did a two week trip to Sweden, Denmark, and Estonia.

I was hoping we could have a travel thread in here too for ideas of restaurants, attractions, hotels,etc...in different locations around the U.S.A and the rest of the world.

Just last week, we purchased tickets to travel to Iceland in February. Anyone here ever been? If so, was it in winter/summer? We know we're renting a car to travel to different waterfalls and to try and see the northern lights. Any advice is appreciated.

Was in Reykjavik about ten years ago.

Was there in late May and got about 23 hours of daylight; I'm guessing in February you might only get about eight!

One of my absolute favorite places I've ever visited. Easy to use English (not that it makes a place better for us), food is not especially interesting, the city is manageable, clean and scenic, but not especially memorable...

But the outdoor excursions are quite simply the best of the best of the best. From the Blue Lagoon, to the random roadside waterfalls, to the geysers to the icebergs...holy crap. The place is astounding.

Was in Reykjavik about ten years ago.

Was there in late May and got about 23 hours of daylight; I'm guessing in February you might only get about eight!

One of my absolute favorite places I've ever visited. Easy to use English (not that it makes a place better for us), food is not especially interesting, the city is manageable, clean and scenic, but not especially memorable...

But the outdoor excursions are quite simply the best of the best of the best. From the Blue Lagoon, to the random roadside waterfalls, to the geysers to the icebergs...holy crap. The place is astounding.

Did you rent a car and explore or primarily stay in Reykjavik? I'm excited for the upcoming trip.

I believe we'll prob try to hit Croatia next year too.

Never done Gatlinburg Jbob, but should since I could drive there

Did you rent a car and explore or primarily stay in Reykjavik? I'm excited for the upcoming trip.

I believe we'll prob try to hit Croatia next year too.

Never done Gatlinburg Jbob, but should since I could drive there

We had a friend who was a local with a car.  You HAVE to have a car to see the "good stuff".

The city is nice and easy, but it's not what makes the country extraordinary.

Blue-Lagoon-Iceland-Winter.jpg

Never really traveled, but love Gatlinburg, TN. So much to do there, especially if you like the outdoors. There are some very nice restaurants there as well.

The Apple Barn used to be thee place to go. Unfortunately it has went from being a must go to okay. They have some of the best apple fritters and apple butter. So good!!!

I'm hoping to travel to Maine in the near future. Well, it won't be for another two years because I'm going to Florida with the in-laws and Table Rock Lake here in Missouri next year.

Maine is beautiful but was quite warm in August. I "worked" there for a week or so in 2002. Kennebunkport is a friendly little town with good food and friendly locals.

As is sounds like you're comfortable off the beaten path, the "real" parts of Honduras and Belize may interest you. Super friendly people, beautiful scenery and great food. But, pretty dangerous (guards with machine guns and riot gear at many gas stations). We did some work with orphanages, which is rewarding but heartbreaking. Going back very soon

Spent about 12 days in Germany, went sledding in Belgium. If I had the balls I would move to Germany yesterday. Coolest place ever.

We do Germany at least every other year. Finally made it to Oktoberfest last year in Munich, Stuttgart, and Hanover. We have lots of friends there, so makes visiting easier. Agree that it's one of my favorite places on earth.

I've been to more than 15 countries, lived in 3. Traveled to more than 40 states, lived in 5. I'm hoping to travel Europe in the next couple of years.

which have you lived in? Presumably in Asia if you haven't been to Europe? Our company has been offering positions in Philippines. Have you lived or been there?

which have you lived in? Presumably in Asia if you haven't been to Europe? Our company has been offering positions in Philippines. Have you lived or been there?

Japan and Korea. I've never been to the PI but have heard great things from friends. Beautiful beaches, friendly locals, great food, and cheap (unless you go higher end resorts).

Japan and Korea. I've never been to the PI but have heard great things from friends. Beautiful beaches, friendly locals, great food, and cheap (unless you go higher end resorts).

I know a few people who grew up in the Philippines. Luxury living if you have a moderate income. No carpets. But otherwise a really great place to grow up and live.

My currently planned travel is Port Charlotte with my in-laws for the next week. Nothing is the perfect cap to a 13 hour plane trip and 2 hour car trip with a small child like a week in a different kind of rain with my in-laws.

Therefore, I conclude that all travel is terrible. Boo.

Last month, I visited Disney World (boo), St. Augustine (ok), Savannah, GA (interesting), Hilton Head (very relaxing), Pasadena and the Rose Bowl (IU 2017), Pacific Coast Highway (beautiful), Big Sur and Sykes Hot Springs (pretty cool, clothing optional), Sequoia National Park and General Sherman (holy crap).

Next stop for me is Medellin, Colombia, but that's a long weekend trip from here.  Sometime I want to spend awhile in Brazil, Uraguay, Argentina and Chile.  That area draws my soul.  :)  (probably won't happen till I retire as I want to spend a few years down there)  Google image San Martin De Los Andes..........my kinda place!

Most of my travels are business related. I've seen a lot of the states but never been outside of the country. I recently engaged in talks with a company that is headquartered in Lima Peru and has another large facility in Santiago Chile. I am in the process of scheduling that trip. I cant wait. I'm a big seafood guy and I've heard Lima Peru rivals no one in that regard.