Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

seanmm1971

30 second shot clock

Hello All, long time reader first time member and poster. Couldn't help but to comment of this. I was a fan of the 35 second shot clock, I think I will get used to 30 but truly feel like moving to 24 will ruin college basketball.
I disagree with US kids not being able to handle it, I believe it completely changes what COLLEGE basketball is. I hate watching the NBA because it has become a run and gun little defense game and will be extremely disappointed if the college game continues to move to trying to become the NBA. I love watching methodical offenses that take time to set up and defensive strategies to get an offense out of rhythm and try to break the offense down. This to me is what basketball truly is. Like the post before the shot clock is only there to prevent a stall type offense with no movement at all. The shorter the clock becomes its purpose changes from preventing the stall offense to forcing the run and gun street ball type game. It becomes extremely difficult to run a continuity offense with only 24 seconds. Unless you are sprinting up the court, by the time you cross half court to get
Your offense set up you only have roughly 16 seconds to do anything before a shot clock violation. Let the NBA be the NBA and let College be College. I agree that a shorter clock benefit the way Crean runs an offense but I feel this is more about College Basketball as a whole. There is no rule saying you have to use the entire shot clock so really it doesn't affect the Hoosiers offense At all, where truly helps is allowing our guys to play 5 less seconds of defense.
I understand others will feel different on this subject, please take it easy on the new guy.

The "there is so little defense in the NBA" statements are beyond annyoing. Isn't really accurate

Anybody remember the old Loogootee high school teams---Butcher ran it to perfection. And--yes---it was maddening! :banghead:

I also think the new college rule will help our Hoosiers this upcoming season.

Nearby HS Bloomfield used to do the same thing with their flex offense. Maddening to watch/play against, but the kids were super efficient, and won a lot of games because most teams aren't disciplined enough to play defense for that long.

Nearby HS Bloomfield used to do the same thing with their flex offense. Maddening to watch/play against, but the kids were super efficient, and won a lot of games because most teams aren't disciplined enough to play defense for that long.

Ah yes, Glover Ball. If Bloomfield got a 6 point led on you, it would seem like 12. Very disciplined with a commitment to control possession. Basically, the other team can't score if your team has the ball.

What HS are you from?

in the late 1990's, eastern Greene also ran a slow paced flex offense.

All of Greene County plays Stall Ball for the entire game. Hated playing any of the Greene County Schools

Where are you from? And when did you play? If you don't mind.

in the late 1990's, eastern Greene also ran a slow paced flex offense.

I remember getting torched by JT Yoho in HS when playing Eastern Greene. But we really really really sucked my Junior year lol. EG also had some other kid that was HUGE that year.

I remember getting torched by JT Yoho in HS when playing Eastern Greene. But we really really really sucked my Junior year lol. EG also had some other kid that was HUGE that year.

Lol what school did you go to? You're probably thinking of Ray Darnell.

I was at the game, at EG, when Yoho Played. Seems like we got smacked around pretty good.

Small, small world when you can talk about Greene County basketball and people know what you're talking about lol. Still remember the battles with Carmichael and Boyd, all the Graves boys.

NBA is by far the best basketball in the world. Not only because it has the best players but because the best minds in the game are coaching. Everywhere else in the world does it because it helps create more all around players offensively. CBB will get to 24 seconds. And the NCAA NEEDS to stop fighting with the NBA instead of against because they're only hurting themselves. CBB has been years behind for awhile now and is just starting to move in the right direction. There is ZERO reason to be so much different than the rest of the world. The reason I can come up with is that American players can't play with a 24 second shot clock like foreign players... although American players do amazing in FIBA play before getting to college.

I disagree with almost everything you say here.  That is your opinion and I respect it but I do not agree with it.