Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

seanmm1971

30 second shot clock

NBA is by far the best basketball in the world. Not only because it has the best players but because the best minds in the game are coaching. Everywhere else in the world does it because it helps create more all around players offensively. CBB will get to 24 seconds. And the NCAA NEEDS to stop fighting with the NBA instead of against because they're only hurting themselves. CBB has been years behind for awhile now and is just starting to move in the right direction. There is ZERO reason to be so much different than the rest of the world. The reason I can come up with is that American players can't play with a 24 second shot clock like foreign players... although American players do amazing in FIBA play before getting to college.

Introducing a shot clock in h.s. ball would better prepare these kids for college.

Introducing a shot clock in h.s. ball would better prepare these kids for college.

It would help. There is only a shot clock at certain times when it should be a nationwide rule. A 24 second shot clock would go in for Varsity sports.

That's tough unless the respective state HS sports associations buy the clocks for the schools. That's a big expense that many schools can't afford. There's also the issue of finding someone competent to run it during games. I know some states have it, but there aren't very many.

I love CBB and the hoosiers. But, Imo the nba is a better game. Several nba teams run a disciplined offense within the 24 sec clock. Many teams play great d also. It's just good d doesn't stop great offense players many times. But with that being said, I love to watch any of it. Even the wnba and wcbb

That's tough unless the respective state HS sports associations buy the clocks for the schools. That's a big expense that many schools can't afford. There's also the issue of finding someone competent to run it during games. I know some states have it, but there aren't very many.

It would be a challenge. I watched a New Albany v Providence game a couple years ago, where Providence went to the corners with 2 min left in the half. It was maddening

It would be a challenge. I watched a New Albany v Providence game a couple years ago, where Providence went to the corners with 2 min left in the half. It was maddening

Agree there. Stall ball is the worst part about high school basketball.

Welcome to the board!

I'm curious to see how the 30-second clock impacts the game, if at all. I don't feel too strongly one way or the other about it, just more curious.

As someone that loves both college and NBA basketball, I had to reply on your description of the NBA. It's just not accurate at all. There is tons of defense in the NBA and it's not all run and gun. Cleveland is playing phenomenal defense right now. The Spurs play great defense. The Bulls. The Grizzlies. The Warriors. The LeBron Heat teams, the Garnett/Pierce Celtics, and the list goes on. You don't win in the NBA without playing really good defense.

The offense in the NBA is also much more sophisticated that "run & gun". NBA offense is all about spacing and creating mismatches. The Spurs the last two years played some of the best offense, with ball and people movement, that I've ever seen, and I grew up on Lakers/Celtics and Bob Knight IU.

Hello All, long time reader first time member and poster. Couldn't help but to comment of this. I was a fan of the 35 second shot clock, I think I will get used to 30 but truly feel like moving to 24 will ruin college basketball.
I disagree with US kids not being able to handle it, I believe it completely changes what COLLEGE basketball is. I hate watching the NBA because it has become a run and gun little defense game and will be extremely disappointed if the college game continues to move to trying to become the NBA. I love watching methodical offenses that take time to set up and defensive strategies to get an offense out of rhythm and try to break the offense down. This to me is what basketball truly is. Like the post before the shot clock is only there to prevent a stall type offense with no movement at all. The shorter the clock becomes its purpose changes from preventing the stall offense to forcing the run and gun street ball type game. It becomes extremely difficult to run a continuity offense with only 24 seconds. Unless you are sprinting up the court, by the time you cross half court to get
Your offense set up you only have roughly 16 seconds to do anything before a shot clock violation. Let the NBA be the NBA and let College be College. I agree that a shorter clock benefit the way Crean runs an offense but I feel this is more about College Basketball as a whole. There is no rule saying you have to use the entire shot clock so really it doesn't affect the Hoosiers offense At all, where truly helps is allowing our guys to play 5 less seconds of defense.
I understand others will feel different on this subject, please take it easy on the new guy.

Welcome to the board!

I'm curious to see how the 30-second clock impacts the game, if at all. I don't feel too strongly one way or the other about it, just more curious.

As someone that loves both college and NBA basketball, I had to reply on your description of the NBA. It's just not accurate at all. There is tons of defense in the NBA and it's not all run and gun. Cleveland is playing phenomenal defense right now. The Spurs play great defense. The Bulls. The Grizzlies. The Warriors. The LeBron Heat teams, the Garnett/Pierce Celtics, and the list goes on. You don't win in the NBA without playing really good defense.

The offense in the NBA is also much more sophisticated that "run & gun". NBA offense is all about spacing and creating mismatches. The Spurs the last two years played some of the best offense, with ball and people movement, that I've ever seen, and I grew up on Lakers/Celtics and Bob Knight IU.

I agree completely, and those 80's Celtics were something to watch. To bad we didn't have coverage like we do now. We will look back on the Spurs the same way

I agree completely, and those 80's Celtics were something to watch. To bad we didn't have coverage like we do now. We will look back on the Spurs the same way

the Celtics and Lakers that dominated with Bird and Magic were all offense and half azz it on defense. They just made the game fun to watch and people loved it.

Hello All, long time reader first time member and poster. Couldn't help but to comment of this. I was a fan of the 35 second shot clock, I think I will get used to 30 but truly feel like moving to 24 will ruin college basketball.

I disagree with US kids not being able to handle it, I believe it completely changes what COLLEGE basketball is. I hate watching the NBA because it has become a run and gun little defense game and will be extremely disappointed if the college game continues to move to trying to become the NBA. I love watching methodical offenses that take time to set up and defensive strategies to get an offense out of rhythm and try to break the offense down. This to me is what basketball truly is. Like the post before the shot clock is only there to prevent a stall type offense with no movement at all. The shorter the clock becomes its purpose changes from preventing the stall offense to forcing the run and gun street ball type game. It becomes extremely difficult to run a continuity offense with only 24 seconds. Unless you are sprinting up the court, by the time you cross half court to get
Your offense set up you only have roughly 16 seconds to do anything before a shot clock violation. Let the NBA be the NBA and let College be College. I agree that a shorter clock benefit the way Crean runs an offense but I feel this is more about College Basketball as a whole. There is no rule saying you have to use the entire shot clock so really it doesn't affect the Hoosiers offense At all, where truly helps is allowing our guys to play 5 less seconds of defense.

I understand others will feel different on this subject, please take it easy on the new guy.

Anyone who claims there is no defense played in the NBA clearly does not watch the NBA. If you want to watch defense then you probably shouldn't tune into an IU game actually.

The majority of NBA teams play an outstanding level of defense. The thing is, good offense will beat good defense 10/10 and NBA teams operate at an extremely high level offensively. 

See, this is where I disagree. I love that there's no shot clock and teams can try to string the game out. Gives smaller and less athletic teams a different route to success. It makes each individual game a different match-up.  

Anyone who claims there is no defense played in the NBA clearly does not watch the NBA. If you want to watch defense then you probably shouldn't tune into an IU game actually.

The majority of NBA teams play an outstanding level of defense. The thing is, good offense will beat good defense 10/10 and NBA teams operate at an extremely high level offensively.

Perhaps I should clarify. I did not mean to suggest there is no defense at all in the NBA, obviously these are the most talented players in the world and have to play defense to make it to that level. I guess I meant to say in my opinion, the NBA game focuses very little on defense and is more all about scoring. Obviously my argument is not true 100% of the time and there are examples good offense and defense in the NBA. However as a whole I would argue that watching a College Game you see more methodical game, where the NBA is a more pure entertainment type of game.
Butler is a great example I think, I think most would agree those Butler teams did not have the most talented team in the tournament by far but made great runs due to how they played as a team in a methodical approach. A team in the NBA with far worse talent does not typically make any runs at all and consistently stays at the bottom of the league.

Just my opinion that the two are two completely separate types of basketball and hopefully will be able to stay separate, nothing wrong with either one individually just a matter
Of personally preference.

Agree there. Stall ball is the worst part about high school basketball.

Anybody remember the old Loogootee high school teams---Butcher ran it to perfection.  And--yes---it was maddening!  :banghead:

I also think the new college rule will help our Hoosiers this upcoming season.

Perhaps I should clarify. I did not mean to suggest there is no defense at all in the NBA, obviously these are the most talented players in the world and have to play defense to make it to that level. I guess I meant to say in my opinion, the NBA game focuses very little on defense and is more all about scoring. Obviously my argument is not true 100% of the time and there are examples good offense and defense in the NBA. However as a whole I would argue that watching a College Game you see more methodical game, where the NBA is a more pure entertainment type of game.
Butler is a great example I think, I think most would agree those Butler teams did not have the most talented team in the tournament by far but made great runs due to how they played as a team in a methodical approach. A team in the NBA with far worse talent does not typically make any runs at all and consistently stays at the bottom of the league.

Just my opinion that the two are two completely separate types of basketball and hopefully will be able to stay separate, nothing wrong with either one individually just a matter
Of personally preference.

NBA focuses on defense now more than ever before. No one played defense in the early days. The great Lakers and Celtics with Magic and Bird didn't play defense. Nowadays you'll be consistently ridiculed and good chance you'll be out of the league (unless you can average 25+ points a game) if you don't play defense. To say there is no focus is also silly. You ever watched a Pacers game? Lol

that is where I'd like to see the NBA and NCAA jump in and help. Both leagues need to start working together and both need to start dipping down into the high schools and helping with affordable camps for players and coaches. And I think both could help pay for clocks that schools couldn't afford. But make it a process over a certain period to get the money to do it.

4 point shot behind the half court line would cool ;) force teams to play full court press no matter what...

actually there was an idea thrown around about a 4 point shot. I think it was from like 26 feet. 2 feet and 3 inches back from the 3 point line.

Anybody remember the old Loogootee high school teams---Butcher ran it to perfection. And--yes---it was maddening! :banghead:

I also think the new college rule will help our Hoosiers this upcoming season.

Affectionately known and hated by many as "butcher ball" maddening to opponents with superior talent,but won him a lot of games.