Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

birdy_19

Tom Crean to Alabama Rumor Thread

I agree with some here on Crean. If he has no plans on leaving then keep him in place at the moment. But also be willing to have some replacement coaching options on hand if necessary.

If Crean were to leave his position as head coach, I think you have to pony up and get the number one guy on your list. Make it where he can't say no. If you have boosters willing to pay 12.5 million for a buyout, surely those same boosters would pay top dollar to retain a great coach. Heck, I would help raise the money myself for the right hire.

Edit: I think Crean is back next year.

I know that this is a little off topic, but a lot of coaches say that Crean is a good x's and o's coach, but what are we missing?  

Are we too knowledgeable of a fan base to recognize it (forest for the trees kind of thing) or has he been handicapped due to the turnover in the roster and he is doing the best that he can with what he has and can't recruit really as he wants given that due to the past it is more difficult to recruit the top kids to IU or is it something else?

Agreed. After Knight we made some bad or reckless decisions while searching for a coach. I think the AD and mega donors need to be willing to play big bank next time around.

I know that this is a little off topic, but a lot of coaches say that Crean is a good x's and o's coach, but what are we missing?

Are we too knowledgeable of a fan base to recognize it (forest for the trees kind of thing) or has he been handicapped due to the turnover in the roster and he is doing the best that he can with what he has and can't recruit really as he wants given that due to the past it is more difficult to recruit the top kids to IU or is it something else?

Just the coaching fraternity sticking up for one of their own IMO. We have 16 years worth of evidence showing it's not true.

I've always graded CTC as a (+) recruiter, (+) for player development, average for game prep, (-) for in-game adjustment. He gets out-coached in game a fair amount, though I feel he at least brings us prepared more often than not (see our 1st versus 2nd half performances).

The last thing IU needs to do is pull what Nebraska football did. If you're going to get rid of a coach, then get your homerun.

But really Nebraska hasn't been Nebraska football since Tom Osborne. Living in the BIG12 country I found it very interesting being around many Nebraska fans. When they announced they were leaving for the B1G they thought they were returning to the glory days of Osborne. LOL, I just chuckled to myself.

But really Nebraska hasn't been Nebraska football since Tom Osborne. Living in the BIG12 country I found it very interesting being around many Nebraska fans. When they announced they were leaving for the B1G they thought they were returning to the glory days of Osborne. LOL, I just chuckled to myself.

IU hasn't been IU since Knight. It really is a similar situation. They had a solid/good enough to not suck coach in Pelini. We have basically the same in Crean. Both fanbases want to get back to having success that Osborne/Knight had.

Somwhat agree. Nebraska name brand was able to go out of state successfully for top players years ago. Some what like the Indiana brand was able to keep top talent in state like years ago. Different time and systems with top talent players having more options and handlers, AAU etc. I think it is really tuff to maintain a certain national level of competitveness than years past.

The difference between IU basketball and Nebraska football is recruiting footprint. They can't stay in state and field a quality team. IU basketball can. It easier to get a basketball team back to elite status than football.

Not to mention, 1-2 players can turn around a program- unlike football.

Somwhat agree. Nebraska name brand was able to go out of state successfully for top players years ago. Some what like the Indiana brand was able to keep top talent in state like years ago. Different time and systems with top talent players having more options and handlers, AAU etc. I think it is really tuff to maintain a certain national level of competitveness than years past.

If all things were equal I would agree. But they aren't battling the amount of teams coming into our state for players.

I have thought that Crean could be successful if he would learn to recruit and coach a team that is strong up front and can shoot, drive and defend in the back court.

He seems to understand 3/5 or 4/5 of what it takes to be successful over a long season of banging. We would be much better if we always had more than one in the post with strength and length. A running mate that could muscle down a rebound while the post player is defending the rim and contesting shots inside is something we are missing.

I remember Jeffries and Newton, Cody and Watford, or Thomas and Garrett as duos that controlled the paint and worked well together.  You also have to have a good backup for each one. We have Hanner and Holt and they never play together. If they did play together, we would have no depth because April has been in the dog house all year. Imagine if April would have gotten a chance and Davis could have played as a starter with Hanner. That isn't a Final 4 front court, but it could become a competitive one in time.

Down the stretch, RoJo and JBJ looked tired and beat up. It is a grueling season for a freshman, especially when you have to play against bigger and stronger players all the time.

Clever, but he's a double all day long compared to these mid-major mainstays.

If we're really keeping this baseball analogy going and actually being real without revising history Crean was a double when he was hired.  After sitting on second base for a couple years he got to third base from 2011-13 but could not make it home.  At this point if he is fired I would argue he got picked off while taking too big a lead at home.

If we're really keeping this baseball analogy going and actually being real without revising history Crean was a double when he was hired.  After sitting on second base for a couple years he got to third base from 2011-13 but could not make it home.  At this point if he is fired I would argue he got picked off while taking too big a lead at home.

I see it more like this.

http://youtu.be/fMYtr6zWxug