Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

iu-dl

A few thoughts on Kentucky

They might've lost a few by now...but it wouldn't really matter. They'd still be the best team in the nation with one of the easiest roads to the final four. Watching them toy with a solid Arkansas team yesterday proved to me that this is the best college basketball team these eyes have seen.

They might've lost a few by now...but it wouldn't really matter. They'd still be the best team in the nation with one of the easiest roads to the final four. Watching them toy with a solid Arkansas team yesterday proved to me that this is the best college basketball team these eyes have seen.

I think we might have to redefine "college basketball team"

A loss would matter (to me) as it pertains to being undefeated and them being the team everyone talks about going forward.  Not the 1976 IU team.  Plus, UK and their fans relentless reminders of BBN...in general.

If they win I'll always consider the runner up the champion unless of coarse it happens to be Kansas.

Then it'll be a forfeit in my own little world.

There's got to be someone who can have a perfect game and stop this travesty.

Kentucky is insanely good. I actually think what Calipari has done with them is incredible. He got a group of highly talented individuals, to sacrifice personal stats and time for the common goal of winning games. I think Jay Bilas said it best this morning, you may not want to believe it, but this UK team is honestly everything you look for in college athletics and a college team. They are playing the game for the name on the front, and sacrificing for the greater good.

I don't like it, but he's right... Say what you want about them, but you have to respect the team and how good they are. I think to beat them you'll need to hit 12+ 3's and shoot 85% from the foul line. It's possible, but highly doubtful.

41, I'll offer up a different perspective. 

The fact that Kentucky is undefeated, having played what most observers would say is a "soft" schedule, will do them no favors. Yes, they'll have a favorable path to the final four, but unless there's a helluva lot of Cinderella upsets, someone larger, and more complete than anything they've met to date, will await them once they get to the elite eight. And that assumes they get to the elite eight. Winning 34 consecutive games does involve a bit of luck, (even for the great teams), and sometimes lady luck shuts the door in your face when you least expect it.

One thing I have noticed from Kentucky, is they always bring the defense and rebounding. That alone can keep you in most games.

Agree. The fact that Cal got these stars to buy in on D is simply amazing. They can go into a drought on offense which gives me hope somebody will have a chance to beat them.

I respect that Cal has gotten these guys to buy into playing D and his sub patterns and his system but Im still not a believer. They have played a soft schedule and I think the reason I can't stand them because ESPN and the media has built them up so much and they act like playing Missouri, Arkansas, and Alabama is some great accomplishment. I can't wait to see them actually play someone in the tournament. I think they got very lucky with the seeding and the bracket that they are in. Kansas is the weakest #2 seed in my opinion

UK is a Known Unknown- We know they are talented but the SEC's weakness hasn't provided us with an opportunity to see what UK's true ceiling is. They may very well be as far ahead of the field as some people suspect, but they could just as easily be right in line with the other top contenders. In spite of their relatively easy schedule, UK was still tested multiple times by significantly inferior opponents. Their weakness of offense will probably be their undoing; someone will take advantage of a UK drought and go for the throat. While UK is tough to match in a gritty defensive game, teams that can consistently score could find success.

Teams that Could...

-Purdue's interior duo would be the most size UK has seen all year. UK's post players are so used to being lightyears ahead of their opponents that Purdue's strength inside could shake them. Doubtful, but if Hammons/Haas play to their ceilings, it could happen.

-Notre Dame has size, experience (both in seniority and from ACC play), and ability to score. If they can make it that far, Notre Dame might have the tools to win. If they can hold with UK, force a drought, and go for the throat, ND could move on.

-Wisconsin. Same reasons as Notre Dame, just a better product. Kaminsky would put on a clinic in the post.

-UVA/Duke. UVA has the defensive tools and Duke can score.

I'm sorry that you havn't seen better basketball. 

Let me paraphrase in regards to the state of college basketball.  "I've already forgotten about more good teams, than you'll ever see"

Agree. This UK team is a great team, but IMO they're not that close to the best team I've ever seen. First, this is a "down" year for college basketball in general IMO. Second, the SEC is terrible. I think UK probably would have won any conference in the country this year, but they would have had a couple losses in a good conference, at least one.

Finally, in terms of the greatest teams historically, we need to remember that the teams of the past were stacked with juniors and seniors, and not the juniors and seniors of today that are only still there because they aren't good enough to go to the NBA yet, juniors/seniors that went on to be NBA All-Stars and HOF'ers.

I would take the Carolina teams with Jordan, Perkins, Worthy over this team. I'd take the Christian Laettner Duke teams, and the '90 UNLV team too. I'd like to see Karl Anthony-Townes defend an upperclassmen Patrick Ewing on the good Georgetown teams, etc. The list could go on. I'd maybe take the '96 UK team over this one. I could name more.

Great team? Yes. Greatest of all time or even recent memory? No way, IMO.

Let me paraphrase in regards to the state of college basketball.  "I've already forgotten about more good teams, than you'll ever see"

Let me paraphrase in regards to the state of college basketball. "I've already forgotten about more good teams, than you'll ever see"

Watching college basketball for probably 8-10 years and seriously watching it for 4-5, I can't think of a team more talented than this one. Maybe the Ant Davis UK team, but we kinda beat them so eff them. But yeah, I'm young so not much I can do about that.