Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
HoosierAloha

AREAS OF COACHING

1) Recruiting - Starts with talent
2) X's and O's
3) Roster management, though I guess this could fit with recruiting, I do think limiting transfers and the oversign would be a bit different.
4) Game management
5) PR

How would you rank Crean in those areas?

Developing overall strategy and setting offensive and defensive goals
Recruiting to fill strategic positions
Organizing practices to execute offense and defense to perfection
Assuring accountability and discipline in studies and behavior of players
Playmaking during timeouts

How would you rank Crean in those areas?

Crean's recruiting is disjointed, there's a misconception that having all 'five star' recruits makes a great team. If you recruit five great shooters and no ball handlers or rebounders, you live and die with shooting. He has done well at recruiting shooters.
X and o, he can be good at timeouts, but is not as good now as he as two years ago, but this is due in large part to the lack of inside players.
Pr, not so good. Needs to shoulder the blame for losses. His strategy of recruiting shooters, and trying to out bomb teams may win games, but defense wins championships.
Not good with game adjustments, can't recognize options well as demonstrated by Syracuse. Gets in a rut, and hopes to shoot the way out.

Overall, is offense minded, but NBA style offense doesn't work well against college teams, too many good defensive teams to try one-on-one style play.

Thanks for the input.  A larger sample size would result in better overall analyses. 

Some of the larger areas of coaching (NOT in order of importance)

- Recruiting

- Player Development

- PR (boosters/donors involvement, hype of program)

- In game adjustments (countering a hot hand, attacking a previously unknown weakness)

- Game plan (strategy heading into a game)

- Roster management (this might fall into recruiting more than its own category)

- Practice (Pace and intensity)

- Academics (player graduation rate)

- Off court incidents (not exactly tied to the coach but discipline for actions does)

If you get a minute ranking some of these would be greatly appreciated.  I know many are in a foul mood today.  :nono:

Not necessarily in order of importance, but things I would tell CTC that we need to get done.

1. Chart out our rosters 4 years into the future with our leading targets identified.

2. Get a plan of how to balance our roster by class and by position.

3. Recruit and sign by need and get the best player for each need.

4. Only offer scholarships to players you want to play for 4 years. Save a scholarship if you don't find a player you want.

5. Do not oversign.

6. If you have 4 open scholarships, don't get 4 of the same player.

7. Buy some suspenders to hold up your pants.

Not necessarily in order of importance, but things I would tell CTC that we need to get done.

1. Chart out our rosters 4 years into the future with our leading targets identified.

2. Get a plan of how to balance our roster by class and by position.

3. Recruit and sign by need and get the best player for each need.

4. Only offer scholarships to players you want to play for 4 years. Save a scholarship if you don't find a player you want.

5. Do not oversign.

6. If you have 4 open scholarships, don't get 4 of the same player.

7. Buy some suspenders to hold up your pants.

This is more to identify where we think a coach should be strong rather than anything to do with coach Crean.  That will be another thread topic in the coming days if I can collect enough data.  Thanks for your input though.

Thanks for the input.  A larger sample size would result in better overall analyses. 

Some of the larger areas of coaching (NOT in order of importance)

- Recruiting

- Player Development

- PR (boosters/donors involvement, hype of program)

- In game adjustments (countering a hot hand, attacking a previously unknown weakness)

- Game plan (strategy heading into a game)

- Roster management (this might fall into recruiting more than its own category)

- Practice (Pace and intensity)

- Academics (player graduation rate)

- Off court incidents (not exactly tied to the coach but discipline for actions does)

If you get a minute ranking some of these would be greatly appreciated.  I know many are in a foul mood today.  :nono:

I'll stick to the ones you have listed because I'm all about the scientific process. And you seem like a pretty likable chap.

1) Recruiting

2) Player Development

3) Game Plan

4) Academics

5) In-game Adjustments

Thanks for more input.  We're getting there.

I really don't have any idea what the results will be but I'm sure it will be rather interesting.  I'll leave this up a few more days.  There's 5 good lists I can use but the more the merrier.  Ideally, if we could get 15-20 we would have a better analyses.  Once, it's complete I'll post the results and the process used.  It's really a simple decision making process and can be used when making a critical decision for anything (buying a car/house, taking a vacation, dish/cable).  Thanks gents (and ladies?).

1. Finding ways to win consistently in the BT and in the tourney.
A. I prefer guys who can develop players and play both sides of the ball well.

B. That being said, if said coach wants to run a gimmick system but can accomplish the overall goal I am flexible

2. Recruit and mentor young men we can all be proud of on and off the court.

3. Don't be a cheater.

#1 Recruiting. Got to have talent and a balanced roster
#2 Coaching defense. Need a top 10 defense to win a National Title
#3 Coaching offense. need to be able to get quality shots
#4 in game adjustments
#5 player development. I don't care if guys develop for stardom in the NBA. I just want the highly talented kids to stay on campus long enough to hang a banner (see 5*s at UK, UNC, Duke, Kansas)

1. Recruiting
2. Player Development/Practice
3. Social/academic development
4. Public Relations/Community

This makes sense to why you like Crean. He always recruiting and develops players. Academics are stressed and he has his thumb on the media around assembly hall. If the media is too critics they don't get access. It's your list and I'm not trying to pick a fight. It just opened my eyes as to why someone could think he is a high caliber coach.

This makes sense to why you like Crean. He always recruiting and develops players. Academics are stressed and he has his thumb on the media around assembly hall. If the media is too critics they don't get access. It's your list and I'm not trying to pick a fight. It just opened my eyes as to why someone could think he is a high caliber coach.

It's not just me thinking he's a high caliber coach. It's most of the major college basketball coaches in America. This is what fascinates me. Fans think he is an absolute idiot when it comes to basketball. We have fans looking up videos about how to teach defense as if Crean needs some kind of remediation. It blows my mind. The best coaches in the country admire the guy, admit how strong/structured his program is, know he can coach, know he develops skill, the list just goes on. I guess it isn't good enough. So many on here get a hard on thinking about how they played the game at a higher level than Crean which validates their opinions over his.

It's not just me thinking he's a high caliber coach. It's most of the major college basketball coaches in America. This is what fascinates me. Fans think he is an absolute idiot when it comes to basketball. We have fans looking up videos about how to teach defense as if Crean needs some kind of remediation. It blows my mind. The best coaches in the country admire the guy, admit how strong/structured his program is, know he can coach, know he develops skill, the list just goes on. I guess it isn't good enough. So many on here get a hard on thinking about how they played the game at a higher level than Crean which validates their opinions over his.

his biggest problem this year is not having a center. He really has exceeded what my expectations were for not having a player over 6'9" that can actually play. That's the Achilles heel of this team. And defense of course. I can't really put that one totally on crean. You can teach defense until you are blue in the face, but the players have to execute.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

his biggest problem this year is not having a center. He really has exceeded what my expectations were for not having a player over 6'9" that can actually play. That's the Achilles heel of this team. And defense of course. I can't really put that one totally on crean. You can teach defense until you are blue in the face, but the players have to execute.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Yes, true. Everyone knew we were going to be a team that had to hang on by the skin of our teeth. Generally IU has done a great job of winning those close games and they did their work early in the B1G season.

Problem is, around here you can't look at facts you must only look at things from the understanding that Indiana is one of the elite programs going today. We must have kids begging to come here.