Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
HoosierAloha

AREAS OF COACHING

Do you realize how small the difference between success and failure is? It's so small that it's often arbitrary. A bounce of the ball, and we tie to win the B1G. Think about that. That's why I'm not as gung ho as most. That's why I don't stick my nose up at Crean and act like IU is above him.

Outright or shared, at the end of the day they count the same.

If the better part of 20 years isn't reflective of his actual ability he must be one of the unluckiest coaches ever.  I mean so much ability, and such an unimpressive coaching record.  Sometimes a lucky bounce of the ball plays a role, but there is a list of coaches that achieved far more than Crean in the same amount of time.  Luck will sometimes be in your favor or against you, but ability has a lot to do with it.

No one is bigger than the IU program, not Bob Knight and sure as hell not Tom Crean.  Although oddly enough Bob Knight got fired while having results on par with what we're supposed to accept with Crean.

You obviously missed my point. It's impossible to assert that the coach isn't the most impactful figure; that doesn't mean when a program struggles, it is a direct result of a head coach's plan.

Struggles are one thing, bad coaching is not knowing how to beat a 2-3 zone, make adjustments during a game, or realize that we could have closed out a few games with decent free throw shooting, I didn't miss any point, it just seems that the 'point' keeps changing.

Do you realize how small the difference between success and failure is? It's so small that it's often arbitrary. A bounce of the ball, and we tie to win the B1G. Think about that. That's why I'm not as gung ho as most. That's why I don't stick my nose up at Crean and act like IU is above him.

The difference between success and failure in most instances doesn't come down to a single bounce of the ball. Your being naive if you think any game comes down to one play. What matters is everything that happens prior to at point. Example, Green Bay vs. Seattle. The muffed onside kick did not lose the playoff game for GB, the plays and decisions up to that point did. Not going for touchdowns on the one, conservative fourth quarter play, etc..., lost the game. Same thing in basketball, missed free throws, wasted inbounds plays, not altering your opponents gameplan all contribute, but NEVER a single play. Crean is not capable of adjusting his gameplan as things develop, period.

Comeon aloha

I was trying to run a cool little analysis of coaching, in general, and was interested to see the outcome.  I should have known the little kids couldn't stop their bickering or keep it to a single thread in order to get enough data to analyze.  This is the best IU basketbal forum when it doesn't devolve into kids on the playground arguing over dumb shizzle.  There are so many who claim IU fans as the most intelligent and knowledgeable yet they can't/won't rank the 5-7 most important areas of coaching.  They're too intelligent for that they prefer the 1,000th edition of the uh huh - nuh uh arguments.

Some insight from those with a working knowledge. Yes this is from a press release... But these things are said off the record as well. Quite a contrast to our own experts. Just for your consideration:

ImageUploadedByBtownBanners1424572601.372981.jpg

ImageUploadedByBtownBanners1424572610.307572.jpg ImageUploadedByBtownBanners1424572618.263039.jpg

Then build a complete team that can compete In the B1G! We need a big and it shows! No excuse not having a tru 5 that can defend the post

Then build a complete team that can compete In the B1G! We need a big and it shows! No excuse not having a tru 5 that can defend the post

I agree. Those quotes all paint the picture that due to certain positive traits great Crean will do great things. The rebuild was great but the time since has been ok to good only. With the incoming recruits and another year with the current core and we could move up again but we need to build from here going forward. No more years like last year

Regarding PR, do you feel it's important to hype the program to alum/boosters for facility upgrades?

I think the play on the court will do that.  I like the coach to be involved with the community and to be respectful to the media.  Other than that not much more in regards to PR.

Recruiting- this is the life-blood of a program, I will include roster management in this because recruiting involves more than just getting good players to sign

Xs and Os

Game plan

Academics

PR- on court performance will hype the program and get people talking, community involvement is always good to see but it's lower on the totem pole than other aspects