Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

I've heard on here and have been told by someone that would know... If Glass woke up this morning with his head sewn to the carpet... I mean woke up this morning and decided to fire Crean, it would happen and the buyout money is there. It just won't happen because glass would then be admitting he made a gross error in judgement

Sweet 16s every year? No, no, no, this is IU. We don't settle for mediocrity. It's time IU got serious about basketball. Hand it over to Shooter. We'd run the picket fence at 'em, not Ferrell pulling up from Shakamak.

Minimum, he said minimum. Another good example of you not really representing another posters argument the right way

I've heard on here and have been told by someone that would know... If Glass woke up this morning with his head sewn to the carpet... I mean woke up this morning and decided to fire Crean, it would happen and the buyout money is there. It just won't happen because glass would then be admitting he made a gross error in judgement

Wouldn't IU have all the leverage here? Because if he's fired, the level of school he would go to next would be worse than if we mutually parted ways. So it's advantageous for both parties to sit down and workout a realistic buyout... I just can't see Crean Demanding the entire 12million. Could we not negotiate it to 5?

So...when the trustees met after all the off-season "activity" occurred...not a single one of them entertained the notion of Crean shown the exit. That is laughable. Of course the discussion of his removal was made, hence the reasoning for the meeting to begin with.I.E. "Straighten them up, or else." For Glass to make a statement like that is just idiotic. I think it's fine to support "your guy", but to suggest that everybody (except the fans) is pleased with how things have gone both on-court and off is beyond tone deaf. I support the program. I always have and I always will, but if Glass is choosing to tie his success to Crean....so be it.

IU has zero leverage but yet all of the control. Crean is not going to agree to any buyout... He doesn't have to. He gets paid whether he is here or not. However, the money is there according to trusted sources to get rid of him and to pay a new coach top dollar.

This is Indiana and Indiana alumni and donors will support fixing the basketball program

IU has zero leverage but yet all of the control. Crean is not going to agree to any buyout... He doesn't have to. He gets paid whether he is here or not. However, the money is there according to trusted sources to get rid of him and to pay a new coach top dollar.

This is Indiana and Indiana alumni and donors will support fixing the basketball program

There is always leverage even in these situations. There is literally no chance of there not being a settlement on the contract. We were more likely to go in and spank Wisconsin than Crean getting the full $12 mil. I've seen these hundreds of times and no matter the length, no matter the cost, there is always a settlement.

There is always leverage even in these situations. There is literally no chance of there not being a settlement on the contract. We were more likely to go in and spank Wisconsin than Crean getting the full $12 mil. I've seen these hundreds of times and no matter the length, no matter the cost, there is always a settlement.

Try not to assume what I think. I didn't say anything about what the options are. I just know IU is not the powerhouse you guys think it is. Historically, yes. In 2015? ...

i honestly wonder why you always say IU isn't a powerhouse? We are a traditional Blueblood without a doubt. The 2015? Is Irrelevant really. Blame Davis, Sampson, Crean. We get the right coach, we have tradition, money, and fans to be a top 10 team annually.

Even Crean had us rolling for 2 years. Then he lost it big time. Can't recruit anymore, etc... Crean was microns from having us where we want to be annually but he lost all that momentum.

what would Crean be settling on?

I wish I knew more about SSQ's background to better understand his stances. I get the feeling he has a personal connection in some fashion to the Crean regime. Only way I can rationalize some of the thoughts.

I just think a few of the guys on here think we cant land a top coach and think the next guy will be worse than Crean. And they under estimate what Hoosier Nation can do when we get rolling again.

I would guess the negative publicity of demanding the money when you werent getting it done? 8 million and a recommendation from IU for the next job sounds pretty good IMO.

look, I'm no buyout expert but our family friend couldn't be much closer to this situation and he has never eluded to that being an option or likely scenario. Doesn't mean it isn't but I just think it would have come up and frankly don't see why it makes sense. Crean would be getting fired by IU, not sure what a recommendation from IU would do or why that would be worth $4MM to Crean.

i honestly wonder why you always say IU isn't a powerhouse? We are a traditional Blueblood without a doubt. The 2015? Is Irrelevant really. Blame Davis, Sampson, Crean. We get the right coach, we have tradition, money, and fans to be a top 10 team annually.

Even Crean had us rolling for 2 years. Then he lost it big time. Can't recruit anymore, etc... Crean was microns from having us where we want to be annually but he lost all that momentum.

I've said it before I'll say it again, Indiana has everything it needs to be what we want and expect.  Facilities?  Check.  Recruiting grounds?  Double check, we in the heart of a recruiting bed that has few equals.  Passionate fans?  Check.  Tradition?  Check.  We also have a campus that when in full bloom is among the absolute most beautiful around.  Granted our bi-polar weather sucks.  Plus Indiana can recruit itself to a certain extent, don't forget even Mike Davis got some good recruits.

We've been down, sure, and it's self inflicted.  So was Alabama when they swung for the fences and went after an NFL coach that said he wouldn't coach there.  They got turned around quick, fast and in a hurry.  The right coach could turn us around and make us the powerhouse we can be.

Crean was the right guy at one time, but that time has passed.  Be glad for what he did and cut the losses.  It's to the point now that he's being asked to do something he's never shown he can do, if anything the better part of 20 years says we're asking him to do something he's shown he can't do:  win big and win consistently.  His track record is the only definitive thing we can look at, and not a single person can look at that and say he's capable of it.