Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

https://x.com/SInow/status/1810350696245473773

Try not to spit take with surprise, but Dan Hurley is now the proud owner of a giant new extension. But it looks like he gave UConn a bit of a discount because he did not reset the market and he certainly would have if he’d done UK or Louisville. Making less than Cal and that just feels 10 kinds of wrong.

I dare you to rebrand your conference from the Pac12 to 2Pac.  

especially given what the B1G did to your once great conference 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Massive W.

I would have loved to see the women's with the men's together, but this seems great for a fan experience. Also....how about not having the final game on Monday at 9pm on a channel nobody thinks exists anymore?  You think more people will make a point to watch if the championship game was on.............Sunday at 6pm on CBS?

6 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Massive W.

Maybe a dumb question and off topic for the thread, but has Indy done something recently that makes it especially appealing for big events? Feel like every time I turn around they’re hosting some huge sporting events, concerts, conventions, etc. Don’t recall that being the case while I was around 10-15 years ago. Does anyone know if something policy related is driving that or more based on city layout and convenient proximity to venues or something? Just curious. I’d love to visit soon, seems like there’s usually something new/cool going on.

Just now, Home Jersey said:

Maybe a dumb question and off topic for the thread, but has Indy done something recently that makes it especially appealing for big events? Feel like every time I turn around they’re hosting some huge sporting events, concerts, conventions, etc. Don’t recall that being the case while I was around 10-15 years ago. Does anyone know if something policy related is driving that or more based on city layout and convenient proximity to venues or something? Just curious. I’d love to visit soon, seems like there’s usually something new/cool going on.

Indy is a logistical paradise for major sporting events, especially after downtown got cleaned up. That may have all happened in the gap from you being there last. You can park your car downtown and never need it (or an Uber, etc.) again for as long as you're there. You can also be downtown and barely have to walk outside between skyways/tunnels between buildings, etc. It isn't the best food-wise from a quality standpoint, but the quantity of bars and restaurants is there to hold events like this, CFP, NBA All-Star, etc. Not to mention Lucas Oil and Gainbridge are elite venues, and then add in the top notch convention center.

From a policy perspective I have no idea, but Indy is so so good at actually holding these events.

26 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Indy has been the Sports Capital of the country since the 80's. Started with hosting the Pan Am games. The city d cided back in the mid 80's to really put effort in making Indy a huge sports city and put a host committee together that is better than anyone.

3 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

I simply do not get Purdue or Kentucky in this list. I find it easy to dislike those schools, but this has nothing to do with that. They're stripped of talent. Maybe I'm way off, but I don't get it.

1 minute ago, iu-dl said:

I simply do not get Purdue or Kentucky in this list. I find it easy to dislike those schools, but this has nothing to do with that. They're stripped of talent. Maybe I'm way off, but I don't get it.

It's Dukie V.

19 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

i dont think i have paid attention to anything Dickie V has said since......."checks calendar"......ever.

12 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

The hits just keep coming. The NCAA is still looking for Congress to save them from themselves.

Next step is unionization and collective bargaining agreements.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/40541501/court-ruling-seeks-test-decide-athletes-employees

I don't agree/support the "employee" classification, but if that is the result then players should get treated like employees, in all aspects. So if you have a bad year? Fired/demoted. Also, they should be open to all manner of criticism and scrutiny. Wanna be a pro-athelete? Then you get treated like a pro athlete. 

Unionization is a bridge too far for me though. Once they demand double pay to play on holidays or strike to get a bigger share of the Adidas contract, I'll focus my time & attention elsewhere. There are already pro sports I mostly ignore. 

26 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

I don't agree/support the "employee" classification, but if that is the result then players should get treated like employees, in all aspects. So if you have a bad year? Fired/demoted. Also, they should be open to all manner of criticism and scrutiny. Wanna be a pro-athelete? Then you get treated like a pro athlete. 

Unionization is a bridge too far for me though. Once they demand double pay to play on holidays or strike to get a bigger share of the Adidas contract, I'll focus my time & attention elsewhere. There are already pro sports I mostly ignore. 

This is gonna be interesting to me. With the best college basketball players making six and perhaps even, seven, figures, the old adage ... Don't boo them, they're just kids -- will go out the window. At least IMO. 

On 7/11/2024 at 10:22 AM, Hovadipo said:

It isn't the best food-wise from a quality standpoint, but the quantity of bars and restaurants

Agree but it's getting a lot better and the city has made that a priority these last few years.