Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

5 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

I don't agree/support the "employee" classification, but if that is the result then players should get treated like employees, in all aspects. So if you have a bad year? Fired/demoted. Also, they should be open to all manner of criticism and scrutiny. Wanna be a pro-athelete? Then you get treated like a pro athlete. 

Unionization is a bridge too far for me though. Once they demand double pay to play on holidays or strike to get a bigger share of the Adidas contract, I'll focus my time & attention elsewhere. There are already pro sports I mostly ignore. 

So if you have a bad year? Fired/demoted. - This already happens. They ride the bench or transfer.

Unionization is a bridge too far for me though. Once they demand double pay to play on holidays or strike to get a bigger share of the Adidas contract, I'll focus my time & attention elsewhere. - It's always confusing to me how the players getting paid detracts from someone's ability to enjoy the watching them play.

Unionization would likely also lead to a collective bargaining agreement which might limit how much schools can directly pay the players, might limit NIL without actual work, and might restrict the currently unrestricted free transfers.

2 hours ago, go iu bb said:

So if you have a bad year? Fired/demoted. - This already happens. They ride the bench or transfer.

Unionization is a bridge too far for me though. Once they demand double pay to play on holidays or strike to get a bigger share of the Adidas contract, I'll focus my time & attention elsewhere. - It's always confusing to me how the players getting paid detracts from someone's ability to enjoy the watching them play.

Unionization would likely also lead to a collective bargaining agreement which might limit how much schools can directly pay the players, might limit NIL without actual work, and might restrict the currently unrestricted free transfers.

I didn't actually state them getting paid was the issue, although I don't like that either. I love college basketball. I assume you do to. So why would you want it fundamentally changed in every way? On this trajectory NCAA basketball will be completely unrecognizable in a few years. Are you cool with that? Big picture, why should state academic institutions provide professional sports entertainment? Is that furthering their mission & purpose? 

We can all agree NBA players are more skilled and athletically superior to college players, right? So why not just watch the NBA for pro basketball? If a kid wants to play pro basketball? Great, then do it, but amatuer sports can still exist. Changes need to be made to protect college sports, not bastardize them into a minor league caricature of a once great sport. 

The NCAA is stupid and corrupt, so fix it, don't change college basketball into the CBA.  

33 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

I didn't actually state them getting paid was the issue, although I don't like that either. I love college basketball. I assume you do to. So why would you want it fundamentally changed in every way? On this trajectory NCAA basketball will be completely unrecognizable in a few years. Are you cool with that? Big picture, why should state academic institutions provide professional sports entertainment? Is that furthering their mission & purpose? 

We can all agree NBA players are more skilled and athletically superior to college players, right? So why not just watch the NBA for pro basketball? If a kid wants to play pro basketball? Great, then do it, but amatuer sports can still exist. Changes need to be made to protect college sports, not bastardize them into a minor league caricature of a once great sport. 

The NCAA is stupid and corrupt, so fix it, don't change college basketball into the CBA.  

Very well said

3 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

The courts have decided that players can profit from their NIL.  In my opinion, they should be able to.  While there might be NCAA legislation to try and control it, there is no way of guaranteeing that it would hold up in court.

The courts have decided that players can profit from their NIL.  In my opinion, they should be able to.  While there might be NCAA legislation to try and control it, there is no way of guaranteeing that it would hold up in court.

Sure they should be able to do that. I agree. But that isn't what is happening.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, woodenshoemanHoosierfan said:

Sure they should be able to do that. I agree. But that isn't what is happening.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

I understand — BUT how many players have been found guilty of breaking NIL laws?  As long as the laws aren’t being broken, best get on board and use them to your advantage.  

On 7/29/2024 at 11:10 PM, RaceToTheTop said:

Methinks Fran's days at Iowa are getting close to ending....

Fran has a pretty good roster this coming season. Freeman, Dix, and Sandfort are all really good and Traore and Telwell are very good portal gets. Still crap-@$$ defense, but a solid or better Fran team.

Fran has a pretty good roster this coming season. Freeman, Dix, and Sandfort are all really good and Traore and Telwell are very good portal gets. Still crap-@$$ defense, but a solid or better Fran team.

You know how I feel about Sandfort. He’ll play like a first team all B1G without a question in my mind. Kid is an assassin. If I could build a 12 man B1G all star roster Sandfort is on my team.

Can never underestimate Fran but both of his kids going to Butler is hilarious because the guy is a total prick.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Confirming what everyone already knew: players were getting paid even before NIL.
https://hoopshype.com/2024/07/30/gilbert-arenas-says-he-took-a-paycut-going-from-arizona-to-the-nba/

Tried telling everyone for years as a Indiana struggled to recruit. Got so much hate and pushback. Ugh. It was so blatantly obvious.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app