Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Bk4life

Double D laying down a truth bomb right now on 1070!

Bc they are out drinking the night before a public scrimmage that die hard fans look forward to attending and want to be rewarded by seeing a team that has been busting their ass and playing for the name on the front of the jersey. Instead we have a bunch of guys looking forward to partying and having fun. I agree that anything about Holt and being at fault in the accident is dumb, but the fact that he is getting behind the wheel after underage drinking the night before a scrimmage is the issue.

We don't know the story. If Holt didn't even have enough alcohol for a glass of wine, who is to say he wasn't forced to be a DD? He had girls in his car too from the same party Devin was at. I wouldn't blame the guy who is making sure people are getting home. I know that pledges in a Frat have to do the same thing and drive people home. Maybe Emmitt had a beer two hours prior and was ready for bed and got a text that Devin needed a ride. I think the anger is misguided here. 

I bet Dakich knew a lot about Sampson. Just couldn't do much about it.

Well, the high and mighty act doesn't stop at kicking off the players. If Dakich is all he says he is, we'd have known about Sampson and the state of the team long before some phone call records came out.

The reality is that college students have fun partying and drinking and being stupid. Just because someone is an athlete shouldn't remove them from being students. If this was an academic scholly student would anyone care?

DD just preaches from his soapbox nothing but rhetoric.

Would we really scour the entire planet to find the exceptional athletes who have no intention of doing anything remotely like this, and if we did what would the outcome of that be? 3 and 20?

The program obviously has issues, but they all do, this incident just happened to be a tragedy as well...

There is absolutely no question that the partying has been amplified to a degree beyond reasonable. It is up to the players to decide how serious they want to be.

Given an opportunity, and they shove it right back in the face of the coaches. And it's the coaches who will have to pay for it. Sad, but I get the feeling that this is the beginning of the end for Tom Crean... hope it's not.

If we don't know the story about Holt, why be so quick to give him a pass?

I know 2 parts of the story, from what we've officially been told.

1. The amount of alcohol Holt allegedly consumed would not have adversely effected his driving.

2. Devin Davis ran into the road in front of a moving vehicle.

This bothers me as well.  Holt very well could have been at the party to DD (ordered to by the upperclassmen..)  Then at the party ordered to drink a beer, or have one to somewhat fit in and not be the total outcast.  I don't place any blame on Holt for this.  I feel really bad for the kid and whatever circumstances surrounded the incident that we do not know.

Who cares if he was "ordered" to drink. If you don't want to do it, don't do it.  Ultimately it's his choice to drink or not to drink.  And if he was ordered to drink by a team mate, than we're in deeper crap than I already fear.  

I am not saying this to place blame on Holt, but the whole "maybe he was ordered to drink and he didn't want to be an outcast" thing is bunk imo.  

Who cares if he was "ordered" to drink. If you don't want to do it, don't do it.  Ultimately it's his choice to drink or not to drink.  And if he was ordered to drink by a team mate, than we're in deeper crap than I already fear.  

I am not saying this to place blame on Holt, but the whole "maybe he was ordered to drink and he didn't want to be an outcast" thing is bunk imo.  

I agree with that mostly, because it never worked on me, but peer pressure and the need for acceptance really drives many of the mistakes we make in our youth.

Plain and simple...these kids were given a chance to wear the candy stripes...to partake in one of the most storied programs in college basketball...as a freshman, don't drink before a performance...plain and simple....Dakich has the backing of probably 99% of former players...

I agree with that mostly, because it never worked on me, but peer pressure and the need for acceptance really drives many of the mistakes we make in our youth.

I agree and I understand that.  I am a teacher, I see it every day in my job.  I just hate it when we lower our expectations for kids (athletes or not) by acting like they are all to weak to resist peer pressure.  Even if peer pressure is the reason they make a mistake, it's still a mistake. 

I'm not going off on you HH1, this is just a sore spot with me.