Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

rebelhoosier848891

Big Ten Coach of Year Prediction

I was exaggerating quite a bit, my guy. But if you look at it under a microscope, waving $millions$ in a kids face today is a bit different then say, 1995.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I was exaggerating quite a bit, my guy. But if you look at it under a microscope, waving $millions$ in a kids face today is a bit different then say, 1995.

And you can argue that say, the economy was much different, but honestly even if the economy was as it was in 95, there still wouldn't be a big change on this topic.

Louisville, Kentucky, Xavier, Cincinnati, Michigan, Ohio State, Michigan State, Purdue, Illinois, Notre Dame, etc. Kids from Indiana just as soon will go to those schools as well as the national powers as they will to IU... media has changed everything. People don't want to believe it, but unless you're coming from an IU family kids don't really grow up dreaming to play for IU. They dream of playing for a lot of schools. They know every school. That hasn't always been the case.

BGleas has explained this very well in the past but it is very true; you can go the Kentucky model, the IU model, or the Wichita/whoever model. Teams like Butler and Wichita State keep teams together for four and five years. That gives them an advantage and evens the playing field. At IU, it is much more unknown. Trying to build a team takes time and you are set back when kids don't pan out, transfer for whatever reason, get bad advice and go pro, etc. Kentucky's model just can't be done most places because most coaches aren't Calipari and have top kids basically handed in your lap.

I like IU's model but it is very uncertain in the current climate of college basketball. It takes that perfect storm to have a really good team. For example, if Christian Watford had taken bad advice and left after his 27 point game against UK in 11-12 then maybe the 12-13 team isn't quite what it was. Or imagine Cody on last year's team with Noah. Or Noah on this year's team. They made very good decisions for themselves but it certainly wasn't good for IU.

It's the job of the coaching staff to manage these things. And the only way to do that is to recruit better players. Replacing Yogi is a big question mark and finding the next great inside player is a major question as well.

Ok then how do the Wisconsin's, Spartans, Buckeyes, Duke, UNC, Gonzagas and Jayhawks find that perfect storm of sorts on a consistent basis. There are a lot of teams outside of the UK model that are successful and competitive nearly every year.

I don't know if this is exactly what you want, but this kinda sums it up: http://assemblycall.com/2014/second-half-struggles/#more-3702.

I LITERALLY just spent a large portion of my day compiling this exact same data for one of my coworkers. Why in the world didnt this post show up during my initial google search? Dammit!

I LITERALLY just spent a large portion of my day compiling this exact same data for one of my coworkers. Why in the world didnt this post show up during my initial google search? Dammit!

I am a Crean fan---but I actually like this article because it is objective and factual----not just a bash job.

It also discusses and gives credit for Crean's good game planning and scouting necessary to get those first half leads.

Half-time adjustments are a valid topic of discussion and is an area I would like to see Coach and IU improve upon as well.

Don't the coaches vote on this? If so, forget about Crean ever winning it. Cody's freshman year, we had the "exceeding expectations" angle and it went to a coach who was a co-champion. The next year, we won the league outright and it went to Bo Ryan. There are a handful of coaches in this league who won't ever give Crean their vote, and after this week you can add Tim Miles to the list. 

Don't the coaches vote on this? If so, forget about Crean ever winning it. Cody's freshman year, we had the "exceeding expectations" angle and it went to a coach who was a co-champion. The next year, we won the league outright and it went to Bo Ryan. There are a handful of coaches in this league who won't ever give Crean their vote, and after this week you can add Tim Miles to the list.

Yeah, that was total bull crap. No reason he shouldn't have won it Cody and Vic's last year.

Who and why?

Now---who is your pick for Big Ten COY?

I'm still undecided honestly. If Wisconsin lives up to their expectations and wins the B1G in decisive fashion, then he's coach of the year. Otherwise I'm inclined to go with a coach who has a good chance of exceeding expectations. I'm gonna go with Crean.