Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

rebelhoosier848891

Big Ten Coach of Year Prediction

This brings up an interesting question. Is it harder to win now in college basketball than it used to be? Is there more parity and talent spread out due to AAU ball etc? Are there more top schools in recruiting--especially in the Midwest? Thoughts?

I think winning it as a particular school is harder, because by and large more teams are equally competitive, but I think teams who win now are way less comparatively "good" than teams who won in yesteryear.

Yeah? You have the stats to prove it? Is it my generation leading the country currently?

Sent from my place of advanced, analytical thinking: the toilet.

No. But, it's your generation who elected them, by finally deciding to vote...

Anyway, effort, work ethic, personal responsibility and consideration for others is a fleeting thing. The instant gratification concept is much more of a common expectation these days.

No. But, it's your generation who elected them, by finally deciding to vote...

Anyway, effort, work ethic, personal responsibility and consideration for others is a fleeting thing. The instant gratification concept is much more of a common expectation these days.

In 2012, only 19% of voters were between 18-29 which includes my generation and possibly the one prior to mine. Find me stats to prove or support your claim that these traits are much more prevalent.

Also, this came out of left field.

Anyone who has lived as an adult through decades  and hired through decades, knows there's a difference.

Fairly good kids now do what fairly bad kids used to do.

Just as the stud kid now keeps breaking records, because of advancement in training, nutrition and perhaps opportunity, but the average kid is less fit.

Was only "out of left field" because I hadn't checked the thread before, so I responded to a post as I got to it without checking the date.

Anyway, we can move it to a more suitable thread, like a fire Tom Crean one, so it won't be so disruptive.

In 2012, only 19% of voters were between 18-29 which includes my generation and possibly the one prior to mine. Find me stats to prove or support your claim that these traits are much more prevalent.

Also, this came out of left field.

Also, "Young voters favored Obama by a 24-point margin. The average gap from 1976 through 2004 was only about two percentage points, as young voters basically supported the same candidate as older voters in most elections"

Based on president alone (and assuming other 'like' candidates got the same benefit) young voters had a major influence in the current crop of position holders.

Obama got 3 million more votes, all ages combined, than Romney, but almost a full 4 million more 18-29 year olds voted than in 2004.

Also, "Young voters favored Obama by a 24-point margin. The average gap from 1976 through 2004 was only about two percentage points, as young voters basically supported the same candidate as older voters in most elections"

Based on president alone (and assuming other 'like' candidates got the same benefit) young voters had a major influence in the current crop of position holders.

Obama got 3 million more votes, all ages combined, than Romney, but almost a full 4 million more 18-29 year olds voted than in 2004.

That fails to correct for the impact in swing-states here the margin actually mattered. Youth voters have a greater influence in states with a high concentration of urban centers and universities, which are typically blue states already (IE Chicago, NY, California, etc). To properly analyze the impact of the youth voter in selecting the executive, you'd have to do a comparative study of youth participation in swing-states over a period of similar elections (IE open/incumbent seat, congressional balance, economic climate etc).

If someone would like to pull the data then you two can have an answer. 

#IUPoli-SciDegreeFinallyPayingOff

Anyone who has lived as an adult through decades and hired through decades, knows there's a difference.

Fairly good kids now do what fairly bad kids used to do.

Just as the stud kid now keeps breaking records, because of advancement in training, nutrition and perhaps opportunity, but the average kid is less fit.

Was only "out of left field" because I hadn't checked the thread before, so I responded to a post as I got to it without checking the date.

Anyway, we can move it to a more suitable thread, like a fire Tom Crean one, so it won't be so disruptive.

Just because you have experienced in your own personal life a perceived decrease in overall quality of young people does not support an argument. It's also human nature to believe that you, or your generation, is better than your successor or predecessors.

I take issue with statements of blame without more factual evidence. It's sort of become popular to just blame the Millennials and there is very little factual support of our responsibility for the perceived decrease in society.

Good arguments for Turgeon as Crean has made a few enemies-------but there may also be a bias against the new kids in town as not having paid their dues yet.

That's why if Bo/Wiscy wins the Big Ten----I think he will get it as he did not win it last year and they have had a ton of recent success.

That fails to correct for the impact in swing-states here the margin actually mattered. Youth voters have a greater influence in states with a high concentration of urban centers and universities, which are typically blue states already (IE Chicago, NY, California, etc). To properly analyze the impact of the youth voter in selecting the executive, you'd have to do a comparative study of youth participation in swing-states over a period of similar elections (IE open/incumbent seat, congressional balance, economic climate etc).

If someone would like to pull the data then you two can have an answer. 

#IUPoli-SciDegreeFinallyPayingOff

You didn't pass tangible information only an attempt to muddy things. Pretty much just what an uninformed professor might say. Might need to wait a few weeks before tweeting that.

Just messing with you, but it's not that complicated.

Just because you have experienced in your own personal life a perceived decrease in overall quality of young people does not support an argument. It's also human nature to believe that you, or your generation, is better than your successor or predecessors.

I take issue with statements of blame without more factual evidence. It's sort of become popular to just blame the Millennials and there is very little factual support of our responsibility for the perceived decrease in society.

Never for 1 second in my life have I thought my generation was better than my Fathers or my Grandfathers.

For the record, I blame those who "raised" the Millennials, moreso.

Obviously, any statement, even factual ones regarding 90% of a group, still allows for it not to apply to 10% of that group.

Coach Crean won't win it unless IU goes undefeated in league play and then most coaches still won't vote for him.  He won coach of the year from some media outlets a few years ago and didn't win B1G COY.  He's made too many enemies in the B1G. 

Which should let you know that coaches shouldn't be involved in the voting.

For the record, I blame those who "raised" the Millennials, moreso.

Obviously, any statement, even factual ones regarding 90% of a group, still allows for it not to apply to 10% of that group.

agree. It's a broad generalization and unfair to many but the huge increase in single family homes have had a profound impact!