Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Stuhoo

(2014) PF Yante Maten to Georgia

I'm not going to pout over an unranked 3*, but we need size coming from somewhere next year. 

Don't look at it so superficially. We lost out on a 6'8 PF, a position of dire need, that the coaches by all accounts wanted. I wouldn't undersell the value he had to the program.

Say all you want about an unranked 3* being valuable to IU ~6 years into Crean's tenure though... by all means.

Guys, being new to Indiana I still have a lot to learn about the workings of the University. I know there was talk of boosters wanting to buy out Crean this year... is it realistic to think people would pony up that type of cash? Or was that just exaggeration? 

Our next hire, IMO, can't be one of an up-and-comer. I want a proven winner. Brad Stevens or Sean Miller, someone who builds good teams that have gone deep in the tournament

Maybe this belongs in another thread you started

https://btownbanners.com/topic/4856-who-would-you-hire-to-replace-ctc/

Guys, being new to Indiana I still have a lot to learn about the workings of the University. I know there was talk of boosters wanting to buy out Crean this year... is it realistic to think people would pony up that type of cash? Or was that just exaggeration? 

Our next hire, IMO, can't be one of an up-and-comer. I want a proven winner. Brad Stevens or Sean Miller, someone who builds good teams that have gone deep in the tournament

There are plenty of boosters with deep pockets, but Crean's buyout is very high. 
Another year of missing the tournament and there might be enough boosters willing to open up their wallets to get him out of Bloomington. However, I don't think they pony up that kind of cash unless they can bring in a replacement they really want. If they can't get Brad Stevens, Shaka Smart, Gregg Marshall (?), or some other really good coach that they want, Crean will stay put IMO.

If he starts winning again, the noose will loosen up a little bit. 

Crean whiffs again. It's scary to think that he might not be here 360 days from now. Zero confidence we will land Cummingham either. Hope I'm wrong but it seems the mass exodus has not gone unnoticed.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Not sure how many share your view of Crean missing here but I'm sure you're not alone. IMO, it's piling on. There a lot of valid concerns surrounding Crean right now, but missing on Yante Maten cannot be one of those. It's pretty well known since we got into this recruitment that MSU was his dream and, if given the opportunity, he would take it. His coach said that upfront. Hell, his coach is an IU fan who didn't try to push him our way. I think he knew what the kid was waiting for and how important it was to him.

MSU begins making frequent contact right before the tourney. Maten watches MSU makes a run. They lose, better assess the roster based on the completion of their season, decide they have room. Or at least stall Maten.

This is recruiting. If it were Crean, I'd hope he not let a "Hoosier at heart recruit" get near the end of his visit in East Lansing without knowing he had an IU offer.

Have been told there's a glimmer of hope in Indiana's pursuit of Yante Maten. But Mich St still overwhelming favorite. #iubb

I know the two are nowhere close to being related, but I thought I knew where I wanted to go to college and visited there and was even planning on going there until I visited where I ended up going to college.  We'll see.