Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

KelleyHoosh

Who would you hire to replace CTC?

I don't think we are going to get rid of CTC anytime soon and I think that's the right call. But what the hell I'll play. I think Fred Hoiberg would be an excellent choice. Now I don't think there is any chance of him leaving Iowa State but if he did I think he would be a good fit for both sides. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I don't think we are going to get rid of CTC anytime soon and I think that's the right call. But what the hell I'll play. I think Fred Hoiberg would be an excellent choice. Now I don't think there is any chance of him leaving Iowa State but if he did I think he would be a good fit for both sides. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I really like Hoiberg and think he is an up and comer.  Love the brand of ball that team plays at both ends.  If he could recruit with the best I think he puts his team in a position to win at a high level. 

I say either Steve Wojciechowski or Shaka Smart. SHAKA! Could Kenny Johnson succeed. And just to throw the name out there Bakari Alexander, Wojciechowski is Dukes assistant coach

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Uh, I don't really get where the perception that coaching doesn't happen in the NBA comes from. Like 41 has pointed out before in college basketball unlike the NBA there is a limited amount of time that coaches can spend with players. In the pros they have an unlimited amount of time they can spend with them to work on their game. And no, it isn't just they tell them their roles and that is the limit to which they coach individual players. Players are constantly working with either individual assistants on the staff, if not the head coach themselves, or they find a personal trainer and work with them, a good amount of the time the trainer is at the very least recommended by the organization/coaching staff. The coaching talent is also much less spread out in professional basketball than in college basketball just because the pure number of teams is less than a tenth of how many are in college. <br /><br />I don't get how this isn't picking on athletes by telling them they don't get the right to pursue work until they've been in college for 3 years. In the regular work place you are learning on the job, which you listed as a major knock against professional basketball, with the lack of coaching they would get. If I am allowed to pursue work at any time in my college life, then an athlete should be allowed to as well. You seem to be looking at this only from the view of college basketball, only looking to improve it, and that simply <br />isn't how it works.

<br /><br />That's not learning the game that's working on their own game. There's a difference. Listen to any former nba great and they always mention they learned the game in college, not the nba. I'm not saying you are wrong bc yes they do work with coaches but it's on their individual game not learning how it should be played as a team. Not trying to argue about it and I don't completely disagree with your point. This is just how I feel about it. <br /><br />Also I was saying that they can go pro at any time, they just have to go overseas. I'm not just looking at it to make college better, it would make the nba better if players stayed 3 years in college also, but that's just my opinion. I really don't think there's a good answer to the problem bc just as we disagree on it, there's probably hundreds of other ideas that disagree with both of us. Sorry to respond so later, just now saw your post.<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I actually agree with you.  People's main argument at getting rid of Crean seem to mostly be centered on him underperforming in the tournament which is ludicrous.  That is about as big of a crapshoot as you will find.  If you are lucky enough to get the right draw, you have to be lucky enough for things to fall into place.  I actually am with you, just poking fun at a specific mentality.  

Tournament success on the whole may be a bit of a crapshoot, but the national champions are not. Last year, Louisville was the odds on favorite and they won. The year before, Kentucky was an overwhelming favorite and they won. The year before, UConn was the hottest team entering the tourney and they won. 

Winning the championship is all about playing well at the end of the season, regardless of what happened through the year. The champions are almost always teams who were hot entering the tournament. Unfortunately, Crean's teams have generally played worse at the end of the season, except maybe 2011-2012, but even that team was wasn't hot at the end of the season.

[quote name="MountainHoosier" post="52408" timestamp="1395627584"]Tournament success on the whole may be a bit of a crapshoot, but the national champions are not. Last year, Louisville was the odds on favorite and they won. The year before, Kentucky was an overwhelming favorite and they won. The year before, UConn was the hottest team entering the tourney and they won.

Winning the championship is all about playing well at the end of the season, regardless of what happened through the year. The champions are almost always teams who were hot entering the tournament. Unfortunately, Crean's teams have generally played worse at the end of the season, except maybe 2011-2012, but even that team was wasn't hot at the end of the season.[/quote]Do you know what an overwhelming favorite truly is with college basketball. Actually IU was the odds on favorite last year. On a typical year the favorite has like a 20% chance of winning. So if that is overwhelming to you, you may be more of a gambler than myself.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I actually agree with you.  People's main argument at getting rid of Crean seem to mostly be centered on him underperforming in the tournament which is ludicrous.  That is about as big of a crapshoot as you will find.  If you are lucky enough to get the right draw, you have to be lucky enough for things to fall into place.  I actually am with you, just poking fun at a specific mentality.

You have to actually get to the tournament first before you underperform. The wins over Wisconsin and michigan proved this team should have been there. Or is just qualifying a crapshoot much like a Crean coached team? I know we expected way too much this year with only one lottery pick instead of 2.

I'm not sure I agree with the assessment that the tournament is a crap shoot, but I doubt you meant it to that extent. Bob Knight's three championships weren't because he was lucky at shooting craps. His teams were flat out better than anyone else in the tournament, (well, the 76' and 80' teams were anyway). It does take a certain degree of luck, but if a team has the right coach and blend of players, it can make all the difference between relying on luck and making your own.

The tournament is a bit of a crapshoot, look at some of the teams that have beat Duke in the tournament over the years.  However, the top coaches still have success in the tournament.  Even Calipari had been to the Elite 8 a couple times, not counting his vacated Final Fours, before he got to UK.  Izzo and K don't even need to be mentioned.

I wouldn't entirely judge Crean as a coach based on his tournament success, but I wouldn't completely discount his underwhelming history on "well, it's a crapshoot" either.

First, 20% chance of winning makes  no indication of "favorite." If one team has a 20% chance to win and 80 other teams each have a 1% chance to win, who is the favorite? Tiger is the favorite (or was, at least) in every major he plays, but he doesn't have a >50% chance to win. 

I totally disagree about IU being the favorite (if you're quoting vegas odds or something, I missed it), but Louisville was the overall #1 seed, just blitzed through their conference tournament, and was playing better than anyone in the country. Who, in the last 5 years, has been a total surprise coming out of the "crapshoot" to win the title? You can argue UConn, but they were playing extremely well as the season ended. 

I definitely agree about a "crapshoot" on the whole, upsets are more prevalent than ever these days. Still, the team that wins the Championship has typically not been a surprise. Team's that play well when it matters (March) win, and IU hasn't.

Do you know what an overwhelming favorite truly is with college basketball. Actually IU was the odds on favorite last year. On a typical year the favorite has like a 20% chance of winning. So if that is overwhelming to you, you may be more of a gambler than myself.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Given the recent mass defections on the team, I vote for Branch McCracken's corpse. Yes, I know he's been dead for the past 44 years, but with a bit of make up and a metal stand up his pelvic aperture, it might work. Certainly, he'd still have more on the ball than current coach Tom Crean, and think of the sheer entertainment value! CBS, ESPN, TBS would all be begging to do our games again and that means exposure, and that helps recruiting!

Think about it:

*No shouting at players before, during and certainly not after games or lost seasons!

*Timeouts would become somber, albeit morose events, but that would only lend itself to better focus, and execution on inbounds plays!

*No more silly deflections of who's to blame for losses

*Residual salaries would be minimal

*With his now exceedingly quiet demeanor, the kids would have to really bone up on the game, thus making them more  fundamentally sound; and fundamentally sound ball is something the current squad and coach could use in abundance!

I'm sure there are lots more reasons to support Branch McCracken's corpse as our next coach at IU. Add as you see fit.

Given the recent mass defections on the team, I vote for Branch McCracken's corpse. Yes, I know he's been dead for the past 44 years, but with a bit of make up and a metal stand up his pelvic aperture, it might work. Certainly, he'd still have more on the ball than current coach Tom Crean, and think of the sheer entertainment value! CBS, ESPN, TBS would all be begging to do our games again and that means exposure, and that helps recruiting!

Think about it:

*No shouting at players before, during and certainly not after games or lost seasons!

*Timeouts would become somber, albeit morose events, but that would only lend itself to better focus, and execution on inbounds plays!

*No more silly deflections of who's to blame for losses

*Residual salaries would be minimal

*With his now exceedingly quiet demeanor, the kids would have to really bone up on the game, thus making them more  fundamentally sound; and fundamentally sound ball is something the current squad and coach could use in abundance!

I'm sure there are lots more reasons to support Branch McCracken's corpse as our next coach at IU. Add as you see fit.

He was a pretty well known racist so that might tarnish the program. He passed on Oscar Robertson because of his skin color. Could you imagine? At least 1 more title

He was a pretty well known racist so that might tarnish the program. He passed on Oscar Robertson because of his skin color. Could you imagine? At least 1 more title

Whoa there. You just hold on with that Kentucky talking point. Branch was the coach who broke the unwritten agreement between Big 10 coaches to not use black players. Bill Garrett was an African-American All-American for IU before Oscar Robertson was out of high school. When Garrett was on the team, Branch refused to stay at hotels or eat at restaurants that would not serve Garrett.

Robertson said that he believed he was not recruited to IU because of his race. Maybe that's true. Maybe Branch did become racist after Garrett. It's also possible McCracken just missed on a player.

I'd love to see us hire Fred Hoiberg. Played for the Pacers and has that NBA experience and he's a SOLID coach for Iowa State with an exciting style of play. 

Brad Stevens would be my second choice. I think Brad is just getting his NBA degree so he can be the perfect coach for IU. He'll cement his legacy once he returns. 

Oscar never won an NCAA title at Cinn.

I'd love to see us hire Fred Hoiberg. Played for the Pacers and has that NBA experience and he's a SOLID coach for Iowa State with an exciting style of play. 

Brad Stevens would be my second choice. I think Brad is just getting his NBA degree so he can be the perfect coach for IU. He'll cement his legacy once he returns. 

I love Hoiberg and would take him in a second but I don't think he'll leave Iowa State. He played there and it is home to him. I think Iowa State could be the next major power to rise in the coming years.

Obviously Brad Stevens would be ideal but who knows what his NBA career will hold.

2 names that I would love even if they aren't attainable: Archie Miller and Gregg Marshall.

Crean isn't going anywhere though so this doesn't really matter anyway.

[quote name="LazOffTheBench" post="53776" timestamp="1395838778"]Archie Miller has only been a head coach for three years. This is his first tourney run but I think he is the real deal. I'd love to have him at IU.[/quote]

He just signed a hefty extension through 2018 yesterday or 2 days ago.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Well Steve Masiello made sportscenter this morning but not for a good reason. He was going to be named the next coach at USF but it didn't go through because he falsified information on his resume. It said he graduated from Kentucky but in fact he never graduated during his time there.

Well Steve Masiello made sportscenter this morning but not for a good reason. He was going to be named the next coach at USF but it didn't go through because he falsified information on his resume. It said he graduated from Kentucky but in fact he never graduated during his time there.

Saw this. He'll still end up with a top-tier job sometime. Made a mistake. Hope he goes and finishes his degree. Also hope Manhattan is willing to take him back. If they aren't, I'm sure some other school will still pick him up. He's too good of a coach.

[quote name="djsalway" post="53851" timestamp="1395849282"]Saw this. He'll still end up with a top-tier job sometime. Made a mistake. Hope he goes and finishes his degree. Also hope Manhattan is willing to take him back. If they aren't, I'm sure some other school will still pick him up. He's too good of a coach.[/quote]

Yeah I view this as something minor I think he still has a bright future hope he gets his things in order.