Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

KelleyHoosh

Who would you hire to replace CTC?

The game is the same, on a bigger stage. If you know the game, it doesn't matter when or where you coach. To disqualify a great coach because his credentials doesn't match up to reality. This is what's wrong with IU presently, arrogance in picking performers. Please read the rest of my post, and try not to belittle me with childish high school sport analogies, these only demonstrate my point.

Wasn't really trying to belittle you or your argument. My bad if it came off that way.

I still disagree that knowledge of the game is all that really needs to translate. With recruiting I am willing to bet he wouldn't have nearly the pull with recruits. And I disagree with people who try and say IU recruits itself, not anymore really. Don't really see it as arrogance, that is a huge leap to make to go from a NAIA school to one of the most historic schools in college basketball. And one of the toughest conferences, if jot the toughest.

The game is the same, on a bigger stage. If you know the game, it doesn't matter when or where you coach. To disqualify a great coach because his credentials doesn't match up to reality. This is what's wrong with IU presently, arrogance in picking performers. Please read the rest of my post, and try not to belittle me with childish high school sport analogies, these only demonstrate my point.

You started the varsity club stuff, not to mention the belittling by reading a whole lot of nonsense into not wanting a Division 2 NAIA coach as the next coach at a Big 10 school.

[quote name="KingPG21" post="56038" timestamp="1396204929"]Wasn't really trying to belittle you or your argument. My bad if it came off that way. I still disagree that knowledge of the game is all that really needs to translate. With recruiting I am willing to bet he wouldn't have nearly the pull with recruits. And I disagree with people who try and say IU recruits itself, not anymore really. Don't really see it as arrogance, that is a huge leap to make to go from a NAIA school to one of the most historic schools in college basketball. And one of the toughest conferences, if jot the toughest.[/quote] I would argue that the TOP 10 NAIA teams could be comparable to teams about the 65-85 range in the NCAA plus add in recruiting and other things there is no way it is the same.

I would argue that the TOP 10 NAIA teams could be comparable to teams about the 65-85 range in the NCAA plus add in recruiting and other things there is no way it is the same.

Yeah that is about my viewpoint of it. There is a reason these guys haven't been reached out to by major schools very often.

There's another factor that would make that kind of jump really difficult, and that's media relations. Dealing with level of coverage, number of reporters, etc. Heck, knowing that there are websites like this one where thousands of people are gathering to critique your every move. It's certainly a different beast than coaching an NAIA school. I would agree that you would want that coach to have some experience with that aspect of coaching at this level before hiring someone to be the head coach at a B10 level job.

I'm just saying that any college coach with a .700 winning percentage and 683 wins is no slouch. Homer Drew made the same jump, he was Lightfoot's predecessor, same school, but not nearly as successful. Drew handled tiny Valpo well.
Trying to pick 'select' coaches and players has led to mediocrate and is is ruining IU's hard-earned reputation of student-athletes who are a actually students first.
And Mike can beat a 2-3 defense.

Brad Stevens.

BUT... things have to play out perfectly.  IU has to have another down year next year and miss the NCAAs, and the Celtics must be just as bad.  They have the #4 pick in the draft, so they will get get someone really good, but probably not Parker, Wiggins or Embid.  The buyout for Tom Crean should not be an issue with boosters, and IU could definitely match Stevens' current $3.67 million per year salary.  Plus the lure to come back home.  

Brad Stevens.

BUT... things have to play out perfectly.  IU has to have another down year next year and miss the NCAAs, and the Celtics must be just as bad.  They have the #4 pick in the draft, so they will get get someone really good, but probably not Parker, Wiggins or Embid.  The buyout for Tom Crean should not be an issue with boosters, and IU could definitely match Stevens' current $3.67 million per year salary.  Plus the lure to come back home.  

With my luck they'll get a top 3 pick next year too.

I wouldn't complain at all about Kevin Ollie, but he's doing a good job at his alma mater so I have a hard time seeing him leave.

Brad Stevens.

I doubt the Celtics will be that bad next year. Unless there is a set back Rondo will be closer to what he has been in the past, Sullinger keeps growing as a player, and they have a lot of draft picks and will have high draft picks. Plus the East sucks this year, and unless some big time moves are made I don't see a lot changing, though the Nets could take a considerable step back with their core being so old, or injury prone. If we want Stevens I think they'll have to wait another two years after this year and hope Stevens isn't having a good time in the NBA

with Cuonzo bound for Marquette I think you're going to see Dave Hart make it known he is targeting Gregg Marshall only to be turned down quite publicly

Marshall is not going to just jump on the first gig he can get with this new supply of leverage in his corner

people need to realize that Eddie Fogler and Marshall are boys and that Fogler considers IU the best job in the country. He has very very close ties to IU that might not be so apparent to the public

we're either turning the ship around this year or we're rocking out with Gregg freaking Marshall

book it

Dream coach would be Brad Stevens but that's not gonna happen. I feel like Shaka Smart may be looking to leave VCU within the next one to two years, around the same time limit we are giving Crean if he doesn't pull his crap together. Kevin Ollie would be a great one too, but Uconn is a pretty prestigious school and I don't think he'd leave them for a while. Honestly I would love to have John Beilien as coach. I don't know that he'd leave UM for IU though. BtownBanners

I hear people say that Brad Stevens at IU will never happen, and I cant help but wonder... "why not?" - I don't understand what it is that makes so many people around the program say that Stevens will never end up at Indiana.  I personally feel like IU would be the perfect place for Stevens to end up if the whole NBA thing doesn't work out.  Say in 2 years, Crean hasn't taken us to where we want to be, and Stevens looks to be failing in the pros or wanting to come back to college regardless of his success in the pros.  Why not IU?  It's Indiana! It's his home state, where he grew up watching the Hoosiers as an Indiana fan himself.  He knows the state and can keep the Indiana kids home.  Think of the uproar that him landing the IU job would bring to recruiting.  He is already a proven great coach, and I think everyone in the country knows that Indiana's dream is to have him as our head coach (I think even Stevens knows that).  It wouldn't have that rebuilding project feel that we've dealt with after hiring the past 3 coaches.  Instead it would feel like we've got the best man for the job, period, no matter what.  I think the pressure would be less on a guy like Stevens simply because if he cant make it at IU, no one could, and the fans would all agree on that I think.  So that eliminates the unrealistic expectations and pressure that we would put on an unproven coach like Crean.  Also, IU would go all in on him with whatever $$$ amount it takes - I'm talking no holding back - $BIG MONEY$.  It makes perfect sense for everyone involved if ya ask me.  Stevens at the premier job in his home state making big money for the rest of his life! And happy Hoosier fans everywhere because we would have a consistently solid, competitive, top 25 team year in and year out with mostly Indiana kids on the roster. Win, win!