Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ccgeneral

Luke Fischer leaving IU

Our thin frontline just got a whole lot thinner. We're not in a great position for any '14, '15 bigs as far as I can see either. This hurts big time, imo.

It hurts because Luke is a good kid and will be a very good player.

However, Luke was not well suited to an open-court dribble drive offense. 

Way to go Crean Lets give Him no starts and limited playing time. Why the Hell didn't we hire Steve Alfred

Yes...we should've hired some guy named "Alfred".  :sarcastichand:

No starts for a freshman who is 13 games into his career and was often first big off the bench? Puhleeeeease. Even a two post troll or (Not so much an IU)FanCharlie should be able to figure out this was not a playing time issue.

Either Luke was purely homesick, or did not feel comfortable with his teammates, the coaching staff, or the style of play. Or some combination of any of those four factors.

Way to go Crean Lets give Him no starts and limited playing time. Why the Hell didn't we hire Steve Alfred

From what I can tell, playing time wasn't an issue.  I would guess (and this is no inside information AT ALL) that it comes down to one of three factors:

1 - He doesn't like the uptempo style of the Hoosiers and wants to become more of a true post player

2 - He is homesick and wants to be closer to home (See Marquette)

3 - He wasn't happy here, wants to find a situation that will make him happier.

At the end of the day, I think it hurts this team that Fischer is no longer around.  I think he was really going to help us and be a SOLID 4 year player.  That is tough to swallow looking at our frontline.  That being said, if Luke wasn't thrilled to be a Hoosier, then I hope he finds somewhere that makes him happy.  It's only a game for us, this is his life.  Wish the kid well, and the next guy will just have to step up.  Now we get to be excited about who we will recruit to replace him!  

The College Basketball news cycle goes full circle now a days.  Who do we go after?

From what I can tell, playing time wasn't an issue.  I would guess (and this is no inside information AT ALL) that it comes down to one of three factors:

1 - He doesn't like the uptempo style of the Hoosiers and wants to become more of a true post player

2 - He is homesick and wants to be closer to home (See Marquette)

3 - He wasn't happy here, wants to find a situation that will make him happier.

At the end of the day, I think it hurts this team that Fischer is no longer around.  I think he was really going to help us and be a SOLID 4 year player.  That is tough to swallow looking at our frontline.  That being said, if Luke wasn't thrilled to be a Hoosier, then I hope he finds somewhere that makes him happy.  It's only a game for us, this is his life.  Wish the kid well, and the next guy will just have to step up.  Now we get to be excited about who we will recruit to replace him!  

The College Basketball news cycle goes full circle now a days.  Who do we go after?

I wouldn't put much stock in #1.  His AAU team played uptempo and IIRC the style was part of the reason he committed here in the first place.

[quote name="Stuhoo" post="26168" timestamp="1388439870"]That's a little harsh! ;)

Luke seems to be a good kid. Went home for Xmas and wished he could be closer to family and friends?

Best wishes to Big Fishes.[/quote]

I've got nothing against him as a person, but that was my tame version. lol

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Our thin frontline just got a whole lot thinner. We're not in a great position for any '14, '15 bigs as far as I can see either. This hurts big time, imo.

I'm sure we'll see Crean hit it hard on the recruiting trail now.  He has always said he's never done recruiting and this is part of the reason why.  

If it was the right fit, and it would have to be the right fit, I wouldn't mind finding a junk yard dog type JUCO big man to bring in next year.  It would have to be a guy who we knew would be rock solid to play next year and not be a project.  I prefer to avoid the JUCO route, but considering how thin we are up front going into next year it might be an option if a high caliber '14 big doesn't materialize.  

As far as this year goes, this hurts.  I really thought Luke was going to be a contributor going forward.  HMP, the moment is yours. 

Finally, give Howard that scholly for the rest of the year, if that is possible.  

Not the best of situations for us to be in and it could always be worse. The reality of it all is our team will be fine. With that said I wish I could still thumbs down some of these posts. Sent from my Venue 8 3830 using BtownBanners mobile app

[quote name="Stuhoo" post="26187" timestamp="1388447670"]FWIW, a poster on The Scout forum (who, by the way, is definitely not a CTC fan) posted that his IU freshman niece lives in the same dorm as Luke. She apparently said that Luke was extremely homesick, that he didn't leave the dorm much, and that his mom vistied him most weekends.

Sounds like a recipe for a transfer back to the land of cheddar! Now, if he transferred to that Alfred guy at UCLA, the staff would have some explaining to do ;)[/quote]
I read that in the VIP mailbag on the 247 website as well. Apparently he has a girlfriend back home which is news to me.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

All signs point to homesickness. Was it Malachi from a few years back that transferred because of being homesick as well? It happens. I ran track in college and had some guys transfer after our freshman because of wanting to be closer to home.

Malik Story, yeah.

See ya, is what I say don't let the door bop you on your way out.. wasted Creans time and the fans time. 

I don't go to this extreme, but yeah.  If he doesn't want to be here, neither do we.  I only wish him happiness.  At the same time I only want kids that want to be here.  Being a Hoosier isn't easy.  Glad Crean didn't pull a Ryan on the way out.  I honestly don't care if he transferred to UW.  Let him go where he wants to.  Gonna miss that potential though.