Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Str8Hoosiers

Can Crean Coach?

I understand this is a Hoosiers forum and the answers will probably be a bit biased but do you think Crean is a Good/Bad/Great Coach?

I love Crean and everything he has done for the program... I love his fire and his emotion.... He has gotten some big time recruits and coached up some lesser rated recruits to become stars.... But I am a lifelong IU fan and maybe I am biased.... I live in southern indiana (literally can see Louisville Ky out my back window, across the river).... so I am surrounded by UofL fans and even UK fans... all I here is how outcoached he gets and that we will never win a NC with him as our coach....

I think the people who make the argument that he can't coach kind of over blow the negatives he has on his resume and only focus on those, while ignoring the positive stuff he has done as a coach. I think he is still growing as a coach, he is  47 so he isn't a really old guy out there coaching. Don't know if he will ever win a championship here, but do think it is too soon to determine that he will never win one here

I am a longtime Hoosier fan and I agree with the UofL and UK fans.  He had the most talented team last year and could only make it to the Sweet 16.  The games they got whipped were because they could not run a half court offense.  As long as they could run and gun, they were brilliant.  I went to the home opener this year against Chicago St. and they didn't seem to have a half court set.  Keep an eye on this because I think it's the key indicator.

I am a longtime Hoosier fan and I agree with the UofL and UK fans.  He had the most talented team last year and could only make it to the Sweet 16.  The games they got whipped were because they could not run a half court offense.  As long as they could run and gun, they were brilliant.  I went to the home opener this year against Chicago St. and they didn't seem to have a half court set.  Keep an eye on this because I think it's the key indicator.

I think you're wrong.  We wern't the most talented team. Heck, man to man we may not have been as talented as the (Edit**UK***Edit) team that lost early in the NIT. Vic may have been the only starter without a glaring weakness and we had 2 real bench players, Sheehey and Hollowell.

I have been critical of Coach at times, but he is a good coach.  He makes mistakes like everyone else, but yes, Crean can coach.  When you look throughout all of college basketball and look at coaches, who would you prefer more than Crean?  Coach may not be the best coach, but he makes up for that in many different areas.  I would rather have Coach Crean than a Roy Williams/Belien.  Give me someone who runs a clean program, embraces the IU culture past and present, and truly loves his players/school/fan base.  That is everything Coach Crean! 

Coach does have his flaws as an in game coach, but at least we don't have to worry about baggage or anything like most other programs do.  Perfect example is having Jeremy Hollowell sit last season for I believe 3 games.  Did nothing wrong, but was trying to prevent any wrong doing and future problems.  A lot of other programs try to cover it up or don't seem to care.  Some of the posters that know me will tell you all I am critical of coach, but I believe in him 100% to do his best as a coach and important figure for Indiana University!

Coach Crean seems to be exactly what IU needed to revive itself. He is a healer. He is a diplomat. He is a good leader. He has rebuilt, improved and created an incredible system. He is getting us the kind of recruits we haven't been able to get in a long time--perhaps ever. But to wonder if this is the guy who is going to take us all the way and can he coach, etc., is like wondering if the person who just solved global warming is going to be a good father. Give him a minute. 

This kind of post is the only reason I hate this site. I love BtownBanners, but STOP overreacting to every single thing. He obviously can coach. Where were we in his first year? Argument made. We will win one in his tenure and I think he's the perfect coach for IU basketball.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Coach crean is the best coach IU could have. IU has put themselves into good positions going into the tournament the past two years with their seeding. As long as we are in the tournament each and every year, at least we got a shot at winning it all.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

This was published last week on Grantland.  Sorry if it's already been posted on this site.  Just seems relevant to this thread on Crean and an interesting read for any B1G basketball fan.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9938701/the-big-ten-won-championship-2000-elite-conference

I'm too tired to worry about CTC right now.  I'm focusing all my energy on different spells and charms that might help the Indiana football Hoosiers reach a bowl.

I personally think Crean has done an unreal job building the program but as to ask if he can coach or not is yet to be determined. Yes he has his weaknesses like every coach does and last year was really the first team with high expectations under his tenure. The NCAA tourney is all about matchups and Syracuse was a huge team with a 6'6" point guard. These next few years will answer the question but I think if he can't get out of a sweet 16 in these next 3-4 years than his seat will be getting a little warm.

Give it time before you decide if he can coach or not, when he got here he had to rebuild from absolutely nothing, so naturally we sucked, he turned the program around and made us relevant again, but by that time the players that he evolved were graduating or going pro, now we've got a super young team in this year (no I'm not sayin this team sucks because they do not) so he has to start all over again with kids that are not used to D1 basketball, so it's gonna take a lil time for them to get in the groove. Yes he can coach, give the guy a chance

He's a good recruiter, talent evaluator, and ambassador.  He runs a clean program, and emphasizes academics.  I think his weakness is in-game adjustments, and has a lot to prove in that regard and let's be honest we were comically unprepared for Syracuse last year.

Also look at Oladipo for example from the day he arrived at indiana to when he left. You can't tell me crean had nothing to do with his development and improvement as well as motivation. Crean showed him the way and he bought in.

Skiped eveybodys coments so hope I don't repeat somebody's but creans coaching is questionable at best as a hoosier fan I love the recruits love the excitement he brings but untill he wins one he will be questioned! I lived through knight and loved everything about him yep all of it but toeards the end I doubted him putting to rest hoosier fans having problems with things the coach does we all want the best one man in charge pray crean or whoever else can make us great and don't comment on no punctuation I don't care

Sent from my SCH-I535 using BtownBanners mobile app

I think crean is a great coach he reminds me of another great hoosier coach minus the yelling, screaming, and chair throwing lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using BtownBanners mobile app

[quote name="BlueDevil2aHoosier" post="16992" timestamp="1384470941"] Also look at Oladipo for example from the day he arrived at indiana to when he left. You can't tell me crean had nothing to do with his development and improvement as well as motivation. Crean showed him the way and he bought in. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners[/quote] Player development is different than coaching. I think he's talking more along the lines of game planning and in game coaching/adjustments. Is Crean a good coach? Yes. Is he a great coach? No. Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Most talented team, right. Obviously, Mike Davis is a better coach because he made it to the Final Four. 

How many guys (not Coach K or someone like that) could have rebuilt this program in the same amount of time as Crean?