Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Demo

Luke Goode (6’7” F) to INDIANA

Most player coaches do!!!!  Player coaches lack structure, discipline, planning and accountability.  David Bell for the Reds is a players manager and he sucks in the things I mentioned.  Players love player managers/coaches because they let them do what they want

You know I agree with you. Straddling the line of accountability/toughness and players liking you requires recruiting the right personalities and generally winning. It also requires the players knowing you love them and got their back after the @$$ kicking is over.

Hurley, Oates, Pearl, Painter, Izzo come to mind the most.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

12 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

You know I agree with you. Straddling the line of accountability/toughness and players liking you requires recruiting the right personalities and generally winning. It also requires the players knowing you love them and got their back after the @$$ kicking is over.

Agree.

Except Izzo.  Lot of shady **** and player behavior swept under the rug.

Here's one you might not be aware of -- one where he came dangerously close to going into Steve Alford at Iowa territory.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28982980/michigan-state-basketball-coach-tom-izzo-sought-witness-2017-criminal-investigation-player

53 minutes ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Most player coaches do!!!!  Player coaches lack structure, discipline, planning and accountability.  David Bell for the Reds is a players manager and he sucks in the things I mentioned.  Players love player managers/coaches because they let them do what they want

Don't like defending Woodson, but he did basically suspend the whole team for the game against Northwestern in a season where their tournament life was in the balance.  I don't see Painter doing that (and yes, I know it could be argued that he wouldn't have to since he 'recruits and teaches higher behavior standards).  One thing I do know is that Painter has suspended players for 'two games' in the past due to off the court behavior issues and the games he 'suspended' them for were exhibition games.

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Don't like defending Woodson, but he did basically suspend the whole team for the game against Northwestern in a season where their tournament life was in the balance.  I don't see Painter doing that (and yes, I know it could be argued that he wouldn't have to since he 'recruits and teaches higher behavior standards).  One thing I do know is that Painter has suspended players for 'two games' in the past due to off the court behavior issues and the games he 'suspended' them for were exhibition games.

I think he had no choice but one of the same guys that was involved in the NW issue was caught going 90 mph in an area that was 30-45 mph, and tried to switch seats.  Then you had the the Taco Bell issue.  But the fact that he kept Xavier Johnson in a leadership position shows he allows way too much as being a players coach!

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

The part about recruiting the right personalities is key, but when the rubber meets the road or the crap hits the fan, Will MW really have their back or will he only have his?

Agree.
Here's one you might not be aware of -- one where he came dangerously close to going into Steve Alford at Iowa territory.
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/28982980/michigan-state-basketball-coach-tom-izzo-sought-witness-2017-criminal-investigation-player

Yeah, Izzo is shady as ****, but it’s more to the point that he’s tough on his guys but also gives them love and balances that tough coach balance better than most. Although he’s softened in his old age and doesn’t fit the list that great anymore.

But yeah, he’s scummy.

17 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Agree.

15 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Yeah, Izzo is shady as ****, but it’s more to the point that he’s tough on his guys but also gives them love and balances that tough coach balance better than most. Although he’s softened in his old age and doesn’t fit the list that great anymore.

But yeah, he’s scummy.

37 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

Izzo is a little turd of a man. Good coach, lousy dirtbag of a little man. 
Success allows all kinds of crap to be swept under the rug, which is sad, but a reality in sports (and beyond).

Izzo is a magician. His ability to get away with being a sketchy to outright bad person while also being the whiniest, sore losing crybaby on the planet is truly remarkable.

46 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Izzo is a magician. His ability to get away with being a sketchy to outright bad person while also being the whiniest, sore losing crybaby on the planet is truly remarkable.

It really is. Never underestimate the value of networking the living hell out of the influence peddlers in your industry. The V’s and Bilas’s and Seth Davis’s of the world freaking love him.

On 6/27/2024 at 9:07 PM, RaceToTheTop said:

Agree.

Izzo is scum

On 6/27/2024 at 10:53 PM, WayneFleekHoosier said:

But yeah, he’s scummy.

Maybe the run in he had with Aaron Henry scared him into being softer

1 hour ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Another Archie Miller fail, lol.

And this is the big (no pun intended) question for Woodson and our direction next year, and it's not just Goode, but get the kid looks please.:

Last season, Indiana ranked 255th nationally in 3-point shooting percentage at 32.4. The Hoosiers scored just 20.9 of their points on 3s, which ranked 355th in the country. Just 27.8 percent of IU’s field goal attempts were 3-pointers last season. That ranked 351st nationally.

It’s to be determined if Indiana will increase its 3-point volume in any meaningful way next season, but the Hoosiers are better equipped to make more perimeter looks with Goode on the roster.

And from Goode:

“You kind of always got to have a shooter on the floor, in my opinion,” Goode told Sleepers Media. “You got to be able to space the floor in today’s college basketball game, especially with big guys. If we’re going to potentially play Malik and (Ballo) at the four and five, then you got to have guys around them that can shoot.”

Yes, thank you.