Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

2 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

With Rice already in the fold it comes down to who the staff best fits guard wise and how picky they want to be.   I personally would want Carlyle to commit.  He is exactly the type of guard you see on teams that are in the mix for making deep runs.   The more guards you have that can score on all 3 levels the better your team will be.  That leaves you need a threat that can hit from deep.  You then take whichever player of Conwell or Hickman want to be a Hoosier.  The portal is still adding players to it everyday so if neither of those 2 commit you go back in the portal and find a shooter but I would focus on getting Carlyle.   Ballo all day everyday over Payne.  Ballo is ranked the number 1 portal option by many services for a reason.  Back in the day Payne advantage over him would be he has multiple years left however in todays landscape you can’t count on that happening basically every staff needs to treat every player as a 1 year player. Staffs have to recruit their whole team over every year.   Miles having 3 years left is nice but you can only look at it as 1 year at a time 

I do believe if you have deep NIL pockets it’s easier to keep/retain a player that you want to stay.

On 3/18/2024 at 4:27 PM, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Trying to keep updated - portal players reportedly contacted by IU.  Number in ( ) indicates years of eligibility remaining.

1. Amari Williams (F) - Drexel  (1)                                                    IU visit April 19
  2. Kanaan Carlyle (G) - Stanford  (3)                                               IU visit April 19
  3. Leland Walker (PG) - Eastern Kentucky  (2)
  4. Deyton Albury (G) - Queen's University of Charlotte (2)
  5. Davante "Devo" Davis (G) -  Arkansas (1)
  6. Cade Tyson (G) - Belmont (2)
  7. Malik Dia (F) - Belmont (2)
  8. Connor Hickman (G) - Bradley (1)                                             IU visit April 14
  9. Keyshawn Hall (F) - George Mason (2)
  10. Connor Essegian (G) - Wisconsin (2)
  11. Jalen Blackmon (G) - Stetson (1)
  12. Otega Oweh (G) - Oklahoma (2)
  13. Javon Small (G) - Oklahoma State (1)
  14. Pharrel Payne (F) - Minnesota (2)                                           IU visit April 12-14 
  15. Ben Humrichous (F) - Evansville (1)
  16. Darlinstone Dubar (F) -  Hofstra (1)
  17. Gibson Jimerson (G) - St. Louis (1)
  18. Myles Rice (PG) - Washington State (3)                                 IU visit April 12           COMMITTED
  19. Adou Thiero (PF) - Kentucky (2)
  20. Johnell Davis (W/G) - FAU (1)
  21. Danny Wolf (C) - Yale (2)
  22. Oumar Ballo (C) - Arizona (1)                                                  IU visit April 14-16
  23. Elijah Malone (C) - Grace (1)                                                   IU visit April 18
  24. Ryan Conwell (SG) - Indiana State  (2)

OFF THE BOARD

1. Ja’Kobi Gillespie (G)- Belmont  (2) to Maryland\
  2. Marcus Foster  (G) - Furman  (1) to Xavier
  3. Michael Ajayi  (G) - Pepperdine  (1) to Gonzag
  4. Dishon Jackson (C) - Charlotte (2) to Iowa State
  5. Tre Dinkins (G) -Canisius  (1)       [Jared Kelly reports we have not been in contact with Dinkins]
  6. Jordan Sears (G) - UT Martin (2) to LSU
  7. Zeke Mayo (G) - South Dakota St (1) to Kansas
  8. Skyy Clark (G) - Louisville (2) to UCLA   
  9. Brandon Huntley-Hatfield  (F) - Louisville (1) to NC State     
  10. Frankie Fidler (F) - Omaha  (1)       [No longer IU target per Trevor Andershock]
  11. Marques Warrick (G) - Northern Kentucky (1)      [Not in final 5]
  12. Clark Slajchert (G) - Penn  (1) to USC 
  13. Koren Johnson (G) - Washington (2)
  14. Dakota Leffew (G) - Mount St. Mary's  (1)        [Not in final 6]
  15. Tony Perkins (G) - Iowa (1)
  16. Aaron Bradshaw (C) - Kentucky (3) to O$U

Bump

8 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Nor should IU look to do so.  Payne should look elsewhere if the option for him is to sit behind Reneau and Ballo.

At that point you would be looking to go cheaper and take a flyer on a guy.  Kid from Goshen isn't going to be a big bucks guy.  There are also some reclamation bigs that won't demand top dollars.

Money available aside, it would seem like there are plenty of minutes to be had in that situation. With Malik still playing out of position I would expect the foul issues to continue. Ballo was at 28 minutes a game. But I agree with you I do not think he is looking for backup money or role. Our track record with bigs has to be enticing though. If I could see any players taking less or a diminished role at IU it would be there, not at guard.

12 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Didn’t realize Bradshaw committed to OSU.  That was quick.  BTW, Zed Key committed to Dayton.

sorry if this is off topic.

Kinda surprised Zed Key is transferring down, though he will probably wreak havoc at Dayton. 

Words that will come back to bite me: I don't immediately worry about Bradshaw being in the B10, especially if we land Ballo. 

I don't like that Bradshaw committed to Ohio State. Figured he was UNC bound, UNC has a visit lined up for Ballo. No clue if they would match our offer or not but he may now be a bigger priority for them. 

2 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

I don't like that Bradshaw committed to Ohio State. Figured he was UNC bound, UNC has a visit lined up for Ballo. No clue if they would match our offer or not but he may now be a bigger priority for them. 

Klutch sports(his rep) was a big factor as to where Bradshaw would land.  Why OSU you might ask?  I am not sure

3 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Klutch sports(his rep) was a big factor as to where Bradshaw would land.  Why OSU you might ask?  I am not sure

Lebron is an OSU guy and Klutch is his agency. (sorry if you were being facetious)

25 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Won't matter....

Adam Howard just posted a photo on Twitter(wont upload for some reason) of Ben Mathurin(Former Arizona player) and Nembhart(Former Gonzaga player) both sitting in the stands at an IU game.

Ballo played at Gonzaga before transferring to Zona this past year.