Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

7 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I'm interested to see what staff does with Payne considering Ballo is visiting after him. Have to think Ballo is ahead of him as a priority. 

Who to say Payne says yes though, he also has a lot of visits lined up 

Just now, Hoosierfanyuh said:

Who to say Payne says yes though, he also has a lot of visits lined up 

True. FWIW, he was listed in Tier 1 on Peegs Hot Board this morning. Ballo was Tier 2. Just wonder if the staff will push as hard for him right away. 

19 minutes ago, HoosierFan1994 said:

I'm interested to see what staff does with Payne considering Ballo is visiting after him. Have to think Ballo is ahead of him as a priority. 

Absolutely...there is essentially no world where Payne agrees to come to IU with the intention of being a backup. Ballo's visit starts on the 14th but you know IU has a very good idea of where they stand with him. Hypothetically, if Payne wants to commit on Saturday, do you take his commitment and then try to sell Ballo that he'll still get his 25 minutes per game? We know Ballo is visiting so you know that Payne is aware of it as well. That would be a very interesting tight rope to try and walk. I think Payne's ability to defend a bit in space would be nice and he does have a nice block rate but Ballo is the much better rebounder, particularly on the offensive end. Ballo is also one of the best pick and roll lob guys as a diver to the rim...something that would work REALLY well with Myles Rice (and could work well with Carlyle and Galloway as well). Ballo is an elite finisher in the post and I think he raises the floor for IU. If that means you slow-play Payne for a couple of days and risk losing him but you have a great shot at Ballo, I kinda think you have to play it that way. 

3 minutes ago, BGVille Hoosierfan said:

So it sounds like there’s a real possibility of IU ending up with Rice, Payne, and Hickman instead of Rice, Ballo, and Carlyle all bc of logistics with visits. That would be a real gut punch honestly.

What makes it sound like that? 

6 minutes ago, BGVille Hoosierfan said:

So it sounds like there’s a real possibility of IU ending up with Rice, Payne, and Hickman instead of Rice, Ballo, and Carlyle all bc of logistics with visits. That would be a real gut punch honestly.

That is perhaps true...there is also a very real possibility IU lands Rice, Carlyle, Hickman and Ballo or Rice, Carlyle, Conwell and Ballo...it'll probably fall somewhere between those multiple scenarios and any of those would be pretty good outcomes for IU, in my opinion. Obviously, there are levels of success and I'd prefer one or two of those scenarios to the Rice/Payne/Hickman outcome but I really don't think IU takes Payne on Saturday if they have a really strong chance to get Ballo a day or two later. 

5 minutes ago, HoosierHuddle said:

Absolutely...there is essentially no world where Payne agrees to come to IU with the intention of being a backup. Ballo's visit starts on the 14th but you know IU has a very good idea of where they stand with him. Hypothetically, if Payne wants to commit on Saturday, do you take his commitment and then try to sell Ballo that he'll still get his 25 minutes per game? We know Ballo is visiting so you know that Payne is aware of it as well. That would be a very interesting tight rope to try and walk. I think Payne's ability to defend a bit in space would be nice and he does have a nice block rate but Ballo is the much better rebounder, particularly on the offensive end. Ballo is also one of the best pick and roll lob guys as a diver to the rim...something that would work REALLY well with Myles Rice (and could work well with Carlyle and Galloway as well). Ballo is an elite finisher in the post and I think he raises the floor for IU. If that means you slow-play Payne for a couple of days and risk losing him but you have a great shot at Ballo, I kinda think you have to play it that way. 

You send Payne home with a pitch to think about committing to IU as soon as possible, and that they will Zoom about it on Tuesday.

Then you push Ballo hard to commit on Sunday or Monday.

On Tuesday, you either tell Payne,

1. "We'd love to have you compete for the starting 5 with with Ballo, who committed two days ago" or
  2. "You are first in! Come be our starting 5."

If Payne insists on popping on Saturday, the answer is "Yes! Welcome to Indiana."

BTW, this is all contingent on the assumption that we prefer one year of Ballo to two years of Payne. That may not be so.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

You send Payne home with a pitch to think about committing to IU as soon as possible, and that they will Zoom about it on Tuesday.

Then you push Ballo hard to commit on Sunday or Monday.

On Tuesday, you either tell Payne,

1. "We'd love to have you compete for the starting 5 with with Ballo, who committed two days ago" or
  2. "You are first in! Come be our starting 5."

If Payne insists on popping on Saturday, the answer is "Yes! Welcome to Indiana."

Why not both?  They are different body types, and I don't see them playing the same style at the 5.  I think there is room for both.

1 minute ago, 68Hoosier said:

Why not both?  They are different body types, and I don't see them playing the same style at the 5.  I think there is room for both.

They aren't all that different. Both are wide-bodied guys that are unusually quick for their size, are outstanding finishers at the rim, can defend the paint, and can't shoot a free throw or hit an outside shot. Ballo is three inches taller and 20 pounds heavier,

Their roles last year were basically identical.

Just now, Stuhoo said:

They aren't all that different. Both are wide-bodied guys that are unusually quick for their size, are outstanding finishers at the rim, can defend the paint, and can't shoot a free throw or hit an outside shot. Ballo is three inches taller and 20 pounds heavier,

Their roles last year were basically identical.

So, Ballo is 275 lbs??   Wow

9 minutes ago, 68Hoosier said:

So, Ballo is 275 lbs??   Wow

Sorry -7'0" 260 in Sports Reference. Payne listed at 6'9" 255.

So Payne is even more solid. Both of these really big guys are really quick and really 'violent' in a good way.

Bottom line? They are both really at what they do in college basketball. Ballo has a better (four year) resume, and Payne has an excellent two year improvement trend.

All of the Payne/Ballo talk might be moot...Travis Branham just crystal balled Ballo to Indiana. Interesting for sure. If Payne would agree to come to Indiana along with Ballo? You absolutely take both but I imagine he'll have opportunities elsewhere to start (if the CB from Branham ends up being correct).