Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

1 hour ago, Golfman25 said:

But you yourself has said it’s a “consensus.”  That means if they don’t approve the AD, regardless of who it is, can’t make a move.  Nobody worth anything is going to take that job under those conditions.  

Athletic Departments across college sports are full of similar dynamics. Eerily similar. I realize you don’t agree with it, but it’s an imbedded culture in so many places, whether you like or understand it or why it exists. If you’ve been an IU fan for any length of time, none of this should surprise you.

58 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

No one would recommend hiring someone who fits that description. But building a consensus among key stakeholders is vital in a university setting. There are simply way too many mouths to feed. It’s that way in most corporate environments as well. The disconnect here centers on leadership.

If part of my performance as AD is the success/failure of the individual teams, with Men's Basketball and Football being the two biggest, then I have to have absolute authority to hire/fire coaches.  I will rise and fall with their performance.  I am not leaving it to a group of meddlers.  And yes, I understand the need for consensus.  And it is generally a good thing.  But If I can't get there, and a decision needs to be made, I have to make it. 

Woodson is the perfect example.  In three years he has failed at crucial parts of the job.  Not just bad decisions, but complete failure -- as in zero recruits for next year.  That there isn't a consensus to let him go is mind-boggling.  

31 minutes ago, KNOBYDOX said:

You talk about key stakeholders and too many mouths to feed. Would it be fair to say the biggest donors are as important as the BOT in the hiring process?

Not sure they’re “as important” but they certainly get their calls returned. It’s one of the ways we’re able to approach them to fund buyouts, among other things.

24 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Interesting since you mentioned that he and QB were on the same page.  It would seem SD, if viewed as unqualified, has an impossible task.  If he has to get consensus from a group who questions his qualifications then even if the consensus hire has success the group would feel they vs he chose this person. 

Who said “they” question his qualifications? He’s the fourth of our last five ADs who had no experience before we hired him. “They” have been making leadership choices like that for years and then seem perpetually perplexed when our two major programs continue to founder.

13 minutes ago, Ryno6284 said:

If SD was to want to hire Chris Beard to coach at IU, would he be able to make that hire on his own?

I think they probably would, but I’m not sure how far that would go.

11 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

If part of my performance as AD is the success/failure of the individual teams, with Men's Basketball and Football being the two biggest, then I have to have absolute authority to hire/fire coaches.  I will rise and fall with their performance.  I am not leaving it to a group of meddlers.  And yes, I understand the need for consensus.  And it is generally a good thing.  But If I can't get there, and a decision needs to be made, I have to make it. 

Woodson is the perfect example.  In three years he has failed at crucial parts of the job.  Not just bad decisions, but complete failure -- as in zero recruits for next year.  That there isn't a consensus to let him go is mind-boggling.  

What is your experience in sports? As a player? As a coach? As an administrator? As a fan? How long have you been / were each of those things?

3 minutes ago, Ryno6284 said:

I didn't ask about "they".  I asked if Scott really wanted Beard, could he go out on his own and hire him if we had an opening?

On his own without internal support? No.Which AD anywhere could?

7 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

What is your experience in sports? As a player? As a coach? As an administrator? As a fan? How long have you been / were each of those things?

I have plenty of experience in a lot of things, sports and non-sports.  But that has nothing to do with anything.  

If I am accountable for the results on the field, I have to be able to make decisions off the field.  Period end.  As I said, consensus is fine, but the buck stops with me.  When the BOT or President, or whomever, get fired for the athletic performance, then they can have the decision making power.    

13 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

Who said “they” question his qualifications? He’s the fourth of our last five ADs who had no experience before we hired him. “They” have been making leadership choices like that for years and then seem perpetually perplexed when our two major programs continue to founder.

Chatting with you is like trying to solve a puzzle.  But I appreciate your perspective here and enjoy the puzzle. 

If a change is made, do you think it would be easier to build consensus for an established/qualified P5 coach or a promising up and comer who built a strong program from scratch. 

1 minute ago, 8bucks said:

Chatting with you is like trying to solve a puzzle.  But I appreciate your perspective here and enjoy the puzzle. 

I apologize in advance to be combative.

But

It's like a puzzle because it's a bunch of mealy mouth corporate speak that amounts to a whole lot of nothing. 

I've not found much insight into the 'how' or the 'why' in the course of neither defending nor criticizing this approach. 

Yawn.

2 hours ago, KathywithaC said:

How about we hire a qualified AD before we turn him loose? 

There were a couple great options out there at the time of Glass’ retirement. Why did the board land on SD? 

9 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

I have plenty of experience in a lot of things, sports and non-sports.  But that has nothing to do with anything.  

If I am accountable for the results on the field, I have to be able to make decisions off the field.  Period end.  As I said, consensus is fine, but the buck stops with me.  When the BOT or President, or whomever, get fired for the athletic performance, then they can have the decision making power.    

Then you probably shouldn’t try to be an AD at a university. You wouldn’t like it and you likely wouldn’t last long.

19 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

On his own without internal support? No.Which AD anywhere could?

If Beard is best available, when there is an opening, he should be able to hire him! 

6 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

Then you probably shouldn’t try to be an AD at a university. You wouldn’t like it and you likely wouldn’t last long.

Thanks for sticking around and answering questions.  I know you have been taking lumps the last few days here, but you got a jaw of steel!

7 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

If I can't control who my coaches are, you're darn right. Not going to set myself up for failure because a bunch of academics don't know chit about sports.  

48 minutes ago, KathywithaC said:

Please stop making the mistake of conflating “explaining” and “defending”. 

Ok, “explain” it then. In your opinion, if everyone does it, why is IU so uniquely incompetent compared to its peers?