Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

I think people genuinely like Woody but I think the results and the enjoyability of the basketball product will turn off many. When results go poorly, idiosyncrasies annoy the fanbase. I still root for the guy, but I’ve lost faith in him (maybe never had it in the first place, but I had hope if he landed the right pieces). That’s mostly gone for me now.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

I tend to stay away from the 'fire this guy' threads (Tom Allen was my one exception) because at the end of the day it doesn't do any good to root for a guy to get fired.   Just continue to root for the team.  In the end if/when Woody gets fired I'll be upset not because he was fired but rather because it means he didn't succeed and we weren't winning.

Man this was a very well written thread, that was great to wake up to while drinking my coffee. You make a ton of great points that I never thought of. Thank you and hope to see you around more.

Edit: After sitting and thinking for a little longer, you just don't realize the connections that a coach has to make to win the fans and players over. I do not really see that the players dislike Woody, different from Archie. I think Woody is also a coach players can really come to like, and he seems like he would really take care of his players, but as far as fans and community outreach I have not heard that. Knight did a lot of things under the radar (for the good) without anyone ever knowing until later years. 

9 hours ago, Solsberryberries said:

First, I hope Coach Woodson figures it out.  But he has to show up in Indiana High School gyms and eat a bag of popcorn and learn someone’s name who works at Ace Hardware.  It’s an important part of the job.  Woodson was in the NBA for so long I wonder if the NBA lifestyle will be hard to unlearn?

I think Woody believed that being an IU alum and a former NBA player/coach that kids would be flocking to the doors thus he could spend his time in Bloomington with his close buds and press the flesh in SSAH without having to do much traveling.

5 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Doesn't have to be a guy from Indiana, but it has to be a guy that 'gets' Indiana.

Yup yup yup. That's the perfect sentiment. I know this overlaps the "Case for Dusty May" thread, but one thing's for sure - Dusty May gets Indiana. He's certainly no guarantee and he's certainly not the only 'fairly young' coach that could bring the program back, but he's by far the most obvious choice, and for many, many, real, verifiable reasons.

Thad Matta gets Indiana.

He was on local radio yesterday and he said his year at IU was one of his most enjoyable years he has had. I would love to see him come back to be the HC. The only problem is his health

20 hours ago, Solsberryberries said:

First time poster, but looooooong time reader going all the way back to the Decker Scout board (and the other various stops in between.)  

I’ve always appreciated the overall passion and enthusiasm on this board, so thank you to all the people that make this place enjoyable.

Ugh… more coaching threads.

I was hopeful that things would move in the right direction with Coach Woodson, but alas… here we are trying to stay above .500.

When we look back at the 29 years Coach Knight was here he had 10 10-loss seasons.  None of those seasons were sub .500, but they were mediocre, nonetheless.  Some of those seasons were right on the heels of some of our most successful seasons.  Sure, he caught flack.  But it seemed he nearly always had overwhelming support from the fanbase.

One of the reasons I believe Coach Knight had that support was simply because he formed relationships that communicated he valued the people in Indiana.  He was accessible, benevolent and equally supportive to the surrounding communities.

His favorite eateries (like Rosie’s Diner), hobbies, media appearances (coach’s show, golf instructions, coaching clinics) all formed lasting bonds and ties with the state that far outlasted his time here as coach.  He taught us how to watch the game-  even produced videos teaching the fans what to look for while watching a game (still available on YouTube).

To me, along with a coaching philosophy, this is the secret sauce to coaching at a special place like Indiana (beyond the university).  

Tough years will happen in good, even great programs.  But will you have the support and respect of the community to see you through?

It seems to me all of our hires since Knight have been a swing and miss in this category- all separate from what happens on the floor or basketball IQ.

First, I hope Coach Woodson figures it out.  But he has to show up in Indiana High School gyms and eat a bag of popcorn and learn someone’s name who works at Ace Hardware.  It’s an important part of the job.  Woodson was in the NBA for so long I wonder if the NBA lifestyle will be hard to unlearn?

If it doesn’t work out, I really hope we hire someone who gets Indiana.  Note: this doesn’t HAVE to be an Indiana guy- but I think it helps the learning curve.

Being one of “those” southern Indiana people, I sure hope Dusty May gets a shot at the job.  I think his understanding of the game and program are an excellent match.  But more than that, he will win over the state by hard work and building local relationships.  I’m confident he would live and breathe putting Indiana basketball back on top.  No one would want it more.

The other coaches mentioned… will they embrace the quirks of Indiana basketball?  

Crean was right “It’s Indiana.”  Indiana is unique.

I remain somewhat optimistic that Dolson will do his best to move us in the right direction, but I sure hope whoever the coach has all the support possible from this hungry Indiana fanbase.

This is a very well written post.  Thank you for sharing.

12 minutes ago, iubhounds2 said:

His health is much better but he is in line to be the next AD at Butler if I remember right.

He didn't get that job if it's something he truly wanted.   Less than 2 weeks ago Grant Leiendecker was announced as Barry Collier's replacement.

35 minutes ago, iubhounds2 said:

His health is much better but he is in line to be the next AD at Butler if I remember right.

Hadn't thought about that theory as to why Butler and Collier hired him. I'm told him and Collier are neighbors and are good friends.

5 hours ago, Scotty R said:

Thad Matta gets Indiana.

He was on local radio yesterday and he said his year at IU was one of his most enjoyable years he has had. I would love to see him come back to be the HC. The only problem is his health

Gotta wonder if how things would’ve been if IU pulled the trigger and brought Matta back instead of Woody.  I’m not saying it would’ve necessarily worked but he seems to be turning Butler around.   

It’s funny because the lament about 20 years ago was that we let him get away to OSU by hanging on to Davis too long. 

(I know the official excuse is health but it seems a little flimsy to me since he was healthy enough to coach Butler 9 mos later). 

19 hours ago, iubhounds2 said:

This is repeated ad nauseum but Thad has no intent or desire to be Butler’s AD. It’s a 500k a year job for a guy worth well into 8 figures and who’s currently making 2M. He’s never gonna be the AD there. The new guy starting in April is 36, a basketball alum, and will likely be the AD for decades. 

1 minute ago, iubhounds2 said:

I failed to REMEMBER they had just hired a new AD. No need to be a prick about it ******* .... and yes ... I can and would say that to you face 

Apologies. Wasn’t meaning to direct any of that towards you specifically. It’s just repeated by everyone and it has no basis in reality. Not your fault some dumbass reporters started that rumor. 

21 hours ago, str8baller said:

Gotta wonder if how things would’ve been if IU pulled the trigger and brought Matta back instead of Woody.  I’m not saying it would’ve necessarily worked but he seems to be turning Butler around.   

It’s funny because the lament about 20 years ago was that we let him get away to OSU by hanging on to Davis too long. 

(I know the official excuse is health but it seems a little flimsy to me since he was healthy enough to coach Butler 9 mos later). 

I think Matta was asked but at that point did not feel like he was ready to get back into coaching.  9 months after that he has had a taste of being back in basketball and an offer to go back where he had been prior and a job that is lower pressure.

5 hours ago, Truthhurts said:

This is repeated ad nauseum but Thad has no intent or desire to be Butler’s AD. It’s a 500k a year job for a guy worth well into 8 figures and who’s currently making 2M. He’s never gonna be the AD there. The new guy starting in April is 36, a basketball alum, and will likely be the AD for decades. 

Have they said who the next AD will be?