Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

Just now, Herotime said:

Hypothetically, how would you feel about Dolson NOT going after a new coach this spring bc he/they sincerely believed they could land Br@d $teven$ NEXT spring? Would that change your perspective or lighten any of your criticisms of the admin?

Yeah it would for me. You give Brad Stevens 6 mil in the portal and we're in the final four

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Yeah it would for me. You give Brad Stevens 6 mil in the portal and we're in the final four

Yea, I’d retract a fair bit of my criticism as well. I’d have no issue saying I was wrong/whatever. That said, historically, the admin hasn’t earned the kind of trust for the fanbase to just give them the benefit of the doubt on issues like this. 

15 minutes ago, Herotime said:

Hypothetically, how would you feel about Dolson NOT going after a new coach this spring bc he/they sincerely believed they could land Br@d $teven$ NEXT spring? Would that change your perspective or lighten any of your criticisms of the admin?

If Stevens wasn't a 100% certainty, I'd say no it wouldn't. Without that certainty it's just "maybe we can land the white whale this time if we stick with the crappy coach another year".

Sorry, you don't stick with a lousy coach like Woodson in favor of Stevens unless Stevens is a guarantee.

No because there are no sure thing ever with this. Too many things could change in a year.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

It's not as simple as that.  And that (unrealistic expectations) would be a big part of why Stevens doesn't want the job in my opinion.  But I would be optimistic each and every off season.  

Just now, WayneFleekHoosier said:

It's not as simple as that.  And that (unrealistic expectations) would be a big part of why Stevens doesn't want the job in my opinion.  But I would be optimistic each and every off season.  

our perceived NIL advantage isn't going to last too long in my opinion.  Other schools are figuring it out and will compete with us and overstep us.  I hope we can strike while the iron is hot with NIL.  We were 10-20 before and and are now top 5 at only 6 million.  Compared to football dollars its a drop in the bucket for some of these budgets.  

23 minutes ago, Herotime said:

A delusional AD is a terrible AD. I'd want him fired even more.

31 minutes ago, Herotime said:

No, we went down the Brad Stevens road before, and the road led us to Mike Woodson. 

our perceived NIL advantage isn't going to last too long in my opinion.  Other schools are figuring it out and will compete with us and overstep us.  I hope we can strike while the iron is hot with NIL.  We were 10-20 before and and are now top 5 at only 6 million.  Compared to football dollars its a drop in the bucket for some of these budgets.  
Someone said wisconsin has 2.5 million so we have over double what they have. How will they make up the difference?

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

16 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

Yeah, I agree with that.  But I think politically, they might have to "spin-off" the athletic departments, or at least Football/Basketball.  While it is TV money and not taxpayer money, money is fungible.  It's going to be a tough sell for these kids to get paid professional salaries, from a taxpayer funded educational institution.  They'll be the highest paid people associated with the University, except for a few coaches.  Once the tax paying public wakes up, look out.  

As for NIL, that's a court decision and is here to stay.  Student Athletes will always be able to sell their NIL for money to help the local establishments.  The big money slush funds may go away though.  

As much as I (and probably the majority) want the big money slush fund to go away, it never will. Removing it as a legal/acceptable payment source will only force it back under the table by the Kentuckys, Dukes and Kansases, among others.

I actually think we may be number 1 in NIL this year lol. Just reading some boards I saw KU and UNC are around 4 million and they're both regarded as top 5 in NIL. It has to be appealing to whatever coach we may get in the future that they could realistically get whatever team they want with the amount of money we have. I am sure it is frustrating to some of these coaches at lower schools to lose their best players because they cannot pay up. I know a lot of coaches don't like recruiting but Woody has shown here you don't really have to put in effort all year until the portal opens up and just outbid everyone and you can still get a talented team.

I actually think we may be number 1 in NIL this year lol. Just reading some boards I saw KU and UNC are around 4 million and they're both regarded as top 5 in NIL. It has to be appealing to whatever coach we may get in the future that they could realistically get whatever team they want with the amount of money we have. I am sure it is frustrating to some of these coaches at lower schools to lose their best players because they cannot pay up. I know a lot of coaches don't like recruiting but Woody has shown here you don't really have to put in effort all year until the portal opens up and just outbid everyone and you can still get a talented team.

True but let's see what he can do with it. But nil and unlimited transfers is certainly making the recruit a kid and develop him a thing of the past. What's the point honestly. Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Unexpectedflash said:

This may be an anomaly.

The $6M question is: are the Cooks and Simons (and others) donating to the Woodson Disaster Avoidance Fund, or will they continue to give, regardless of who our coach is? Is this simply an attempt to prop up a failed experiment or is this a sign about the future direction of Indiana basketball NIL?

19 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

This may be an anomaly.

The $6M question is: are the Cooks and Simons (and others) donating to the Woodson Disaster Avoidance Fund, or will they continue to give, regardless of who our coach is? Is this simply an attempt to prop up a failed experiment or is this a sign about the future direction of Indiana basketball NIL?

I think we have 4 million with or without them. Also think it depends on who the next coach is. Joe Dirt probably not, Brad Stevens then maybe