Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

13 hours ago, steubenhoosier said:

My opinion only 

- Woodson did not win with “Archie’s players.” Several of the players, especially TJD and Race, were headed elsewhere. Woodson had to re-recruit those guys and sell them on what he could do to advance their games. At the point they agreed to come back, they became Woodson’s players.

- The whole “real fans” and “chill” comments have been overblown by some butthurt folks just looking for a reason to be butthurt. My gosh, grow a pair. RMK was much more condescending at times with some of his comments and actions towards fans he felt weren’t as knowledgeable or weren’t buying in. Time to let it go.

- This year is make or break for Woodson. Expectations should be high. However quantifying what that means in regards to records, seeding, tournament results, is a guessing game now. 8-10 games into the season should provide a much better indication of whether Woodson has this team on track for where we all want them to go.

- This is the fire Woodson thread, and I respect the opinions of those who want him gone. I am willing to see what this season brings before deciding either way 

To your second point, I would suggest Woodson is the one who needed to "grow a pair". His team was playing awful for months - sitting at 6-10 in a down Big Ten, barely beating cupcakes in Assembly Hall,  outside the top 100 in Kenpom. All of that is completely unacceptable at IU, and Woodson should know that. Yet he was the one who got "butthurt" and lashed out because fans and media dared to question him.

All that said, he and staff have done a really nice job building a roster this offseason, and I'll be back in the Hall cheering on the Hoosiers again this winter. Just won't be cheering quite as loud for Woodson in particular.

50 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

The thing is, I was watching, following, rooting for and supporting ($$) Indiana for over 50 years - long before Mike Woodson came along as a player. Telling me that I was not a "true fan" after a season full of his crappy coaching and snide remarks because I was not elated that he was still in charge is a slap in the face. Yeah, I'm a grown man, some would even call me an "old codger", and tell me that I should not be bothered by his comments. And understand, it wasn't the comments as much as the pure arrogance with which they were delivered. 

They say "it ain't braggin' if you can back it up"... but Woodson hasn't backed anything up yet... he's just displayed a constant stream of laziness, arrogance and bluster.

Well said!  This is exactly how I feel and I started watching IU before MW was a player too, but please don’t put me in the “old codger” category just yet.  

With this fully bought roster, it’s time for MW to put on his big boy pants and coach this team.  There are no excuses this year 

19 hours ago, Dhop said:

Man, I would have loved to seen this board in play through the RMK era.  Missing some tournaments, losing to Cleveland State, Richmond… Some awesome highs, and some crazy lows.

I’m in for another year of Woody.  Hoping he does great, he has the pieces in place.  next year will be the real example of the new era college (semi-pro) ball for ALL teams with eternal free agency and $$ now fully taking over.  If next year goes poorly it’s time for everyone to really evaluate who can coach in the new CBB world with new rosters every year.

The point about a new team every year. Archie is going to have to find a better excuse since takes players 100 years to learn his pack line defense. Did anyone learn his defense during the 4 years he was here? 

5 minutes ago, Hoosier DaDa said:

The point about a new team every year. Archie is going to have to find a better excuse since takes players 100 years to learn his pack line defense. Did anyone learn his defense during the 4 years he was here? 

To be fair, that may be the same issue with Woodsons defense as well. It’s absolutely something I’m worried about, especially our ability to defend the 3.

Early in the season, all teams has to do was take a dribble towards the nail defender then make the easy pass to the wing for a wide open 3.

18 hours ago, IUGRAD06 said:

Posted this in the other thread:

I will say this.  We have the largest budget and sounds like we have used a crap ton of it if the numbers are true.  We should have the most talent of any Big Ten team also.  Composite 247 and 247 rankings 

Tucker- 5 star

Ballo - 5 star 

Mgbako - 5 star

Reneau - 4 star 

Rice - 4 star

Goode - 4 star

Carlyle - 4 star

Cupps - 4 star

Newton - 4 star

Galloway - 4 star

Leal - 4 star 

If we don’t win the Big Ten with all that talent and make at least an elite 8 what’s he ever going to do?  What Big Ten team has that level of ranking talent? I will save you, none.  Michigan State has one five star and 3 and 4 stars.  Purdue has 4 and 3 stars.  They aren’t spending the money we are.  ”

He needs to win the Big and make a deep tourney run.  If he doesn’t he will never do much.  He is spending the most money and has the most talent stats wise.  Crean never had this level of talent and won it.  Also Creans Big Ten was way more difficult.  

And Edey is gone the B1G is wide open.

17 hours ago, 8bucks said:

How do you know what goes on behind the scenes?  Just curious what you are using in order to make these conclusions?  

We see enough what happens in the wide open don’t need to know what happens behind closed doors to form opinion.

4 hours ago, steubenhoosier said:

I agree that RMK had built the cache to warrant folks overlooking his abrasiveness, and Woodson has yet to do so. Also agree that at the time, Woodson’s Senior Night comments came across wrong.

However, those comments were made 6 weeks ago, and it’s time to let them go. No one was personally hurt by his words, but it sure seems like some folks are hanging onto them as if they were.

Bottom line in my opinion Woodson is condescending and not good at his job so far. No way he should even be a coach of P5 team. He has done nothing to earn it. And when his shortcomings was brought to the forefront he starts being a complete a$$. Go Hoosiers but still want a new coach.

17 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

Yeah but you have to sandwich that 87 National Championship in between Cleveland State and Richmond.  Takes away a lot of the sting.  :)  

Absolutely true, but actually goes to my point.  Next yr is a true judgement yr. ( just one old dude’s opinion)

87 was my Sr year by the way.  Showalter and Kirkwood were beyond words awesome.  Just like everyone here, I long for the days, and wish the younger diehards could experience it.

3 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Why should next year be the judgement year? Shouldn’t every year be a judgement year?

1st - nowhere close to goals and off court embarrassment
2nd - nowhere close to goals and off court embarrassment
3rd - nowhere close to goals
4th - this is the judgement year..?

You forgot about Taco Bell.

Why should next year be the judgement year? Shouldn’t every year be a judgement year?

Yes it should be but quinn I guess was giving him 4 years no matter what.Well they gave him tons of coin to buy this roster so there are no excuses anymore. I don't want to hear about this guy got hurt or whatever if he has a crap season compared to expectations

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, HoosierAloha said:

When we make our next coaching change what are your expectations for them in years 1,2 and 3?  

1 hour ago, 8bucks said:

When we make our next coaching change what are your expectations for them in years 1,2 and 3?  

It would depend on the state of the program at the time, would it not? 

4 hours ago, Hornsby said:

Yes it should be but quinn I guess was giving him 4 years no matter what.Well they gave him tons of coin to buy this roster so there are no excuses anymore. I don't want to hear about this guy got hurt or whatever if he has a crap season compared to expectations

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

There should've never been excuses.

8 hours ago, Schreckbagger said:

Okay by me......figured you'd want to hang Woody first though.

Sent from my SM-S906U using BtownBanners mobile app

I want us to win, to not get consistently embarrassed, and to see modern winning basketball on the court. This didn’t happen last year, and hasn’t happened consistently for the last 3 years, thus the existence of this thread.

Apparently those 3 things are too much to ask of a coach who is paid as one of the top 15 guys in the sport.

8 hours ago, 8bucks said:

Year 1 they’d get some leniency, year 2 would be expected to be progress and a tourney team, and year 3 should be where we have our new floor set as a consistent top 25 team moving forward.

10 years ago I’d have said we need patience with a new coach, it takes time to get your guys, build our culture, etc etc. But in todays game with the transfer portal and NIL, and the absolutely massive advantage that IU has in that arena, the timeline is, and should be, condensed considerably.

1 hour ago, Juwan Moye said:

Year 1 they’d get some leniency, year 2 would be expected to be progress and a tourney team, and year 3 should be where we have our new floor set as a consistent top 25 team moving forward.

10 years ago I’d have said we need patience with a new coach, it takes time to get your guys, build our culture, etc etc. But in todays game with the transfer portal and NIL, and the absolutely massive advantage that IU has in that arena, the timeline is, and should be, condensed considerably.

This works for me. Other than year 3 we would have been on track right? HoosierAloha seems to have thought we should have been on a far more aggressive schedule