Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

38 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

*Noted* @Stuhoo

Hey- not saying you weren’t passing along the information you heard. Just that the reality can be very different.

Maybe that’s my copium—hoping for a very successful year. I’m skeptical about the program vibe as you are.

i said it once before and I’ll say it again: my ‘canary in a coal mine’ moment? At B1G Media Day when Myles Rice said it’s like playing for your grandpa. That’s not good at all. Cig is old and no one is ever gonna say that about him.

48 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Interesting.

On one hand, his "email" from last year was so incredibly, incorrectly positive. So his inference that things aren't rosy could be just as inaccurate.

On the other hand, I think that this is Woody's last year and that Dolson sees that players don't want to commit to playing for the grandpa vibe. And that's whether we meet or don't meet expectations this year.

You very well could be right. After this season, he'll have 2 years left on his contract so it's extend or do not extend decision time. If Dolson was kept from firing Woodson as some have alleged (I'm not sure I believe that), I have a hard time believing that he could be forced to extend if he doesn't want to.

A bad year gives another reason to fire. A good year can let Woodson retire feeling he did something, although they may have to strongly nudge or straight up push him to do that.

Just now, go iu bb said:

You very well could be right. After this season, he'll have 2 years left on his contract so it's extend or do not extend time decision time. If Dolson was kept from firing Woodson as some have alleged (I'm not sure I believe that), I have a hard time believing that he could be forced to extend if he doesn't want to.

A bad year gives another reason to fire. A good year can let Woodson retire feeling he did something, although they may have to strongly nudge or straight up push him to do that.

But the most likely scenario is somewhere in between.

1 minute ago, go iu bb said:

You very well could be right. After this season, he'll have 2 years left on his contract so it's extend or do not extend time decision time. If Dolson was kept from firing Woodson as some have alleged (I'm not sure I believe that), I have a hard time believing that he could be forced to extend if he doesn't want to.

After this year the buyout is relatively pocket change.

1 minute ago, Kentuckysucks said:

But the most likely scenario is somewhere in between.

I said a good year, not a great year. That is the somewhere in between.

1 minute ago, go iu bb said:

I said a good year, not a great year. That is the somewhere in between.

A 24-11 year, sixth place in the B1G, and round of 32 exit?

Yuck. That will be an ugly, 'not obvious' situation.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

A 24-11 year, sixth place in the B1G, and round of 32 exit?

Yuck. That will be an ugly, 'not obvious' situation.

With this roster that would be a bad year. We've been told all summer how great this roster is and how deep the team will be.

Anything less than a solidly good season could seriously set the program back another 3 years at least, IMO and probably more. It should be a good thing / “light at the end of the tunnel” that the contract situation means we need to extend or part ways this offseason… though we know there are likely behind the scenes factors influencing that decision. Which is unfortunate. I want a coach who leads a confident program, not a staff that looks to point fingers and shift blame. We need to see a better product on the court, end of story

On 10/12/2024 at 2:50 PM, Scotty R said:

Get use to it because that is what college basketball has become. If it was up to me there wouldn't be any portal or NIL and conference realignment but that is where college sports are at. If it were up to me we would  still have 10 teams in the big ten. I have been told for years to stop living in the past but that is what you are doing.

Woodson and the staff worked their @$$ off on this 25 class and have been recruiting them for 3 years. He was the first to offer both Harrelson and Mullins so get your facts straight. We all know you hate Woodson and he will never be able to do anything to change your mind. 

I believe Iowa was the first on Mullins.

I honestly don't dislike Woodson.  I actually like the guy.  His age at his hiring was always going to be a concern and has maintained a concern for me.  Just like many of the other more elderly coaches its just a different vibe and hunger from the programs. (Boeheim, Izzo currently, Coach K towards the end, etc, etc.)  

If Woody has bang up success and continues to want to do this I'm fine with him finishing his contract but we are essentially delaying the transition that is coming.  That was more of my point last season too.  I think if Woody was 50 or even 55 last year wouldn't have been the way it was from the fanbase.  As ageist as that sounds, its just the facts to me.  

I truly want Woody to win huge and go 1-2-or even 3 more years if he can and wants too, but I want Indiana to be in position to start on a really high note with NIL and a great, hungry younger coach when the time is right.  

I love the talent and potential on this roster and I'm going to be rooting like heck for the Hoosiers to get another banner.  I'm Skeptical of course and the recruiting difficulties don't help matters.  I also don't love the split fanbase vibe because it's just a bad look.  I'm ready for the fans to be united again.  

Just remember kids, even though Woody haters were the ones who get accused of moving the goalposts…It doesn’t matter that he is completely whiffing on the 2025 recruiting class (that we were repeatedly assured was gonna come together nicely because Mediocre Mike suddenly realized he had to work hard). He’s just gonna reload in the portal. 6th banner here we come!

1 hour ago, hoosierhoo said:

Just remember kids, even though Woody haters were the ones who get accused of moving the goalposts…It doesn’t matter that he is completely whiffing on the 2025 recruiting class (that we were repeatedly assured was gonna come together nicely because Mediocre Mike suddenly realized he had to work hard). He’s just gonna reload in the portal. 6th banner here we come!

Since the definition of whiff is to completely miss something, how does someone completely whiff?

More importantly, you’re wrong. Sisley is committed and by all reports, is tearing it up at Montverde. 
Not a grand slam, but in no way a whiff , and really discredits a guy who wants to be a Hoosier 

With every year I get older, I feel more the wiser. 

I get on Twitter today to “check in” and noticed we were cannibalizing ourselves……

You can go back and look at my post history….. I’ve been one of the biggest supporters of firing Mike Woodson….. I still don’t think he’s a he guy to get us over the hump. 

BUT…….

This is an embarrassment. More of an embarrassment than Mike Woodson will ever be imho. We haven’t played a single game this season ffs. 

Is this over a freshman?…..During the transfer portal era of college basketball?….After we completely reloaded and transformed our roster, overnight? 

We need to get a grip. 

I’m not convinced that Braylon Mullins comes in, year 1, and is better than a junior Kanaan Carlyle. 

He would have been a nice brag piece but all of this for a freshman is crazy to me. 

Makes me question whether I was ever on the right side of the argument to begin with.