Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

41 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

This thread is here so that people can freely express their wish that Woodson be fired, and it’s going to stay; readers beware.

My biggest wonder is if there’s an element with some of the fire Woodson posters of hoping he will fail more than hoping IU with Woodson will greatly succeed just so that they are proven right.

I'm certainly not hoping he fails, but if he's going to build a roster this way, while also biting the hand that feeds him and carrying a sense of entitlement that he hasn't earned, he'd damn well better deliver. And by deliver, I mean the kind of success we haven't seen in awhile, not scratching and clawing our way to 20 wins and a spot in the tournament. 

1 hour ago, 8bucks said:

They can’t give any credit. Yes I know what thread this is but the amount of hate here is sad.  I would have been fine with a change this offseason but that was because I believed the Rabby stuff to be true and we would have no players except 1 year mercenaries. I am not sure that would justify the hatred of him but I would understand the frustrations. Since it turned out not to be true and he has built a team with young talent I am don’t understand the continued hate.  Perfectly fine to be skeptical but the hate is just bizarre to me. 

How do you know it wasn’t true?  Just Because it didn’t happen, doesn’t mean that’s what players weren’t thunking.   That word got our somehow, and I’m guessing it wasn’t some drunk dude at Kilroys.  Situations are fluid and people change their minds frequently.  

I myself don’t like the “true fan” wedge he went with and lack of any self reflection and accountability.   We’ll see if that changes.  

13 minutes ago, bigrod said:

I'm not sure who you're referring to, but I'll give my two cents. I've said numerous times that I hope the staff prove me wrong, but we have 3 years of data to go on. The continual drop in numbers speak for themselves.

Woody has given no indication at all that he sees any reason to adjust. In fact, quite the opposite. If that is the case, I don't see a ton of success when it comes to evenly matched, well-coached teams.

I'd feel much better if, after the disappointing season, he had said something like, "We all need to be better," but what we got instead is, I'm doing my job and the fans are the problem. So, I hope like hell that he can produce a level of basketball commensurate to the talent, but I will believe it when I see it.

I think that Woody getting salty when fans roasted him after a 19-14 season has become an offense that is irreversibly non-negotiable in the minds of some. Read this thread —you will see who may feel that way.

Those that feel that way are certainly entitled to.

In the world we live in there are some bad moments that are irreversibly non-negotiable. For me? That most certainly wasn’t one of them.

Mike Woodson is a fellow alum and those who know him personally love him, and that includes his players. His roster construction sucked eggs last year and because of that e finished 19-14, 6th in a 14 team B1G at 10-10.

If he can fix things and win for the glory of old IU? Damn that would be awesome.

11 minutes ago, bigrod said:

I'm not sure who you're referring to, but I'll give my two cents. I've said numerous times that I hope the staff prove me wrong, but we have 3 years of data to go on. The continual drop in numbers speak for themselves.

Woody has given no indication at all that he sees any reason to adjust. In fact, quite the opposite. If that is the case, I don't see a ton of success when it comes to evenly matched, well-coached teams.

I'd feel much better if, after the disappointing season, he had said something like, "We all need to be better," but what we got instead is, I'm doing my job and the fans are the problem. So, I hope like hell that he can produce a level of basketball commensurate to the talent, but I will believe it when I see it.

To be fair to Woodson it looks like he has adjusted with regards to the roster. But beyond that, I fully agree that he’s been steadfast that there’s nothing wrong with his coaching, his system, etc. Last year was all on the players in his mind, and he said that publicly. (I don’t make the shots,  need more talent in here, etc etc)

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I think that Woody getting salty when fans roasted him after a 19-14 season has become an offense that is irreversibly non-negotiable in the minds of some. Read this thread —you will see who may feel that way.

Those that feel that way are certainly entitled to.

For me? There are some bad moments that are irreversibly non-negotiable. In the world that we live in, that most certainly wasn’t one of them for me. Mike Woodson is a fellow alum and those who know him personally love him, and that includes his players. His roster construction sucked eggs last year and because of that e finished 19-14, 6th in a 14 team B1G at 10-10.

If he can fix things and win for the glory of old IU? Damn that would be awesome.

I also didn’t mind the “true fans” comment as much, just thought it was tone deaf and unnecessary given the results on the court and the frustration within the fan base due to said results.

He lost me when he kept ducking anything resembling accountability and blaming anything other than himself for what was happening. People attributed it to him being stubborn but I think it’s worse than that, it’s hubris.

2 hours ago, Banksyrules said:

I wonder which game in the new schedule they'll be first tested.  I think we'll know rather quickly how the season will go if they don't adjust their perimeter defense.  

We’ll find out if it’s a systemic weakness or talent weakness.  We also need to see if we back to “buddy ball” with 2 bigs clogging the lane.   

I’ll add another thing; when I saw Woody in the Union last weekend and a group of five middle-aged alumni walked up to his new recruit and the recruit’s mom, he didn’t make up an excuse to have them avoid us even though he didn’t know us from Jack. After we talked with Carlyle for a few minutes I had Woody’s arm on my shoulder, and was shaking his hand.

Did he “over-vent” on senior night? Yup—he was frustrated and didn’t bite his tongue. But our coach loves and cherishes IU as much as ANY of us ever have, including me. And I love IU A TON.

Would be curious to know what the sunshine pumpers think.
”we won the offseason!
”cool, so if we don’t make the sweet 16 we fire our coach, right?”
”whoa whoa, let’s be reasonable here”
The regular season is a much better indicator of success. In the tourney, any team can get hot and take a game away.

Sent from my SM-S906U using BtownBanners mobile app

10 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I’ll add another thing; when I saw Woody in the Union last weekend and a group of five middle-aged alumni walked up to his new recruit and the recruit’s mom, he didn’t make up an excuse to have them avoid us and he didn’t know us from Jack. After we talked with Carlyle for a few minutes I had Woody’s arm on my shoulder, and was shaking his hand.

Did he “over-vent” on senior night? Probably—he was frustrated and didn’t bite his tongue. But our coach loves and cherishes IU as much as ANY of us ever have. And I love IU A TON.

That’s good to hear, thanks for sharing.

27 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

How do you know it wasn’t true?  Just Because it didn’t happen, doesn’t mean that’s what players weren’t thunking.   That word got our somehow, and I’m guessing it wasn’t some drunk dude at Kilroys.  Situations are fluid and people change their minds frequently.  

I myself don’t like the “true fan” wedge he went with and lack of any self reflection and accountability.   We’ll see if that changes.  

Not to mention at least doubling (some here have said tripling) the NIL for Leal and Galloway... that is incentive to keep some around... If Leal and Galloway got that kind of bump, I could easily believe that Malik and Mgbako also got good raises... 

Woodson is full of self, and refuses to accept any accountability for his failures to date... and on the rare occasion when he said something like "it's on me", he was quick to follow with something like "but I'm not missing the shots". He simply has NOT done his job, and except for having played here 40+ years ago and having his buddy sitting as chair of the BoT, would have been sent packing (or never have been hired).

But since the sunshine pumpers have infiltrated the Fire Woodson thread with their spin, I expect that this will not be well received. 

27 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

I think the quote was there was a nonzero chance there would be a mass exodus and a full rebuild. https://www.indystar.com/story/opinion/columnists/2024/03/12/bob-knights-legacy-fails-iu-as-mike-woodson-keeps-coaching/72929876007/

8 minutes ago, Schreckbagger said:

Just a reminder to p**s off the Haters.....

Woodson has the 3rd best W/L percent of ANY IU COACH in the last 60 years.

And I dont really care who's coaching.

No replies needed.

Again, it's Indiana. We accept Bob Knight and mediocrity.

8 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Not to mention at least doubling (some here have said tripling) the NIL for Leal and Galloway... that is incentive to keep some around... If Leal and Galloway got that kind of bump, I could easily believe that Malik and Mgbako also got good raises... 

Woodson is full of self, and refuses to accept any accountability for his failures to date... and on the rare occasion when he said something like "it's on me", he was quick to follow with something like "but I'm not missing the shots". He simply has NOT done his job, and except for having played here 40+ years ago and having his buddy sitting as chair of the BoT, would have been sent packing (or never have been hired).

But since the sunshine pumpers have infiltrated the Fire Woodson thread with their spin, I expect that this will not be well received. 

1). Is saying that “I really, truly hope that the current coach of the Hoosiers succeeds” now considered sunshine pumping? Okay then.

2) ) The posts that hope for success, negating the need to fire Woodson are on topic. Surely you don’t propose that no one is allowed to disagree in this thread? On a message board yet? Or do you?

23 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

The 11th commandment has surfaced. 

Thou shalt not post any kind of positive remarks or express support for Woody in the Fire Coach Woodson thread. 

But it's apparently OK for the naysayers to infiltrate virtually every other thread on btb.  Got it.

5 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

I can’t wait to see the game posts next November.  One way or the other there is going to be a lot of I told you so’s.  :)

Not if people could just be mature and not puff their chests over being right in a 50/50 situation that the poster contributes nothing toward.

8 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

The 11th commandment has surfaced. 

Thou shalt not post any kind of positive remarks or express support for Woody in the Fire Coach Woodson thread. 

But it's apparently OK for the naysayers to infiltrate virtually every other thread on btb.  Got it.

Knock yourselves out. Post what you want, where you want. I have no authority here to dictate anything. But there are warnings through out the non Fire Woodson thread that "don't post that here, there's a thread for that".  Apparently there isn't.

I'm just saying that Woodson hasn't done anything yet to have earned my support. Calling fans who were angry and disappointed with his results "not true fans" was a cheap shot, and did nothing to win over anyone.

Winning the off-season is nothing. But yeah, he bought some talent, so let's give him a raise, extend his contract and give him a crown.

1 hour ago, Juwan Moye said:

Is making the tournament the goal? Could’ve sworn it was B1G and National titles.

But if you’re content with a coach who is paid as a top-15 coach, with a top-5 NIL budget, squeaking into the tournament to get blown out by the likes of St Mary’s then we’ve got your guy!

I think the goal for the program should be to compete for Big Ten and National championships. Woody himself has said this and that is the standard. The timing on this is the challenge. Do we expect our coach to do this from year 1 and every year after?  Probably not but we have enough resources that we should see how we are trending that way early and within 2-3 years should be knocking on that door if not there. 

Woody at IU was trending that way in years 1 and 2. He even carried some of that momentum into summer recruiting and looked on the verge of landing 3 top 15 kids. He swung big and missed badly.  He also had some recruiting success in the summer last year landing MM and Ware. He either failed to recruit guards or overvalued Gallo, X and Cupps and that helped lead to a bad year 3. 

So now what do we do?  We were trending upward in years 1 and 2. Some of that with improved play from Archie’s players and some from Woodys guys like JHS, Bates.  Year 2 was not enough to meet the standard of competing for national titles but we were on the doorstep of competing for big ten titles.

How do we define success at this point.  This is the tough point with a coach woodys age and with the reality of year 3. It sucks to be kind of starting over in year 4 but the reload has been impressive but what is a reasonable expectation now. Do we fire Woody if the team finishes in the top 4 of the BT, we get to the sweet 16 AND Rice, Carlyle, Tucker, Cupps, Newton and some new additions give the majority of fans optimism that the next year will be even better. I mean it would be year 4 and the best he did was 1 sweet 16 and probably no big ten titles. I agree this would constitute moving the goalposts and I am not a fan of doing that unless I feel we are on a reasonable path for major success. 

Again, it's Indiana. We accept Bob Knight and mediocrity.
Fired the coach with the best win percent. Fired the coach with the second best win percentage. Let's keep the tradition alive and fire the coach with the third best. Make sense to me.
The numbers, are the numbers.....twist them how you wish.