Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

7 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

So would promising the son of a head coach that he would take over when dad retires.

Would potentially open the university and its treasure chest to all kinds of nepotism and discrimination lawsuits.

Lmao no, no it would not. 

Just now, steubenhoosier said:

Sure it would. It’s a public institution funded by tax dollars. Pretty sure there is a hiring process for state employees 

No it wouldn’t lmao. This is utterly ridiculous. You’re inventing things to justify bringing Woodson back for another season. 

24 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

So would promising the son of a head coach that he would take over when dad retires.

Would potentially open the university and its treasure chest to all kinds of nepotism and discrimination lawsuits.

Isn’t nepotism exactly what is happening here with Buckner and Woody? 

For the record: I am 100% against promising a coach his son would take over. Not at IU. Bruce would have to know how ridiculous that would be. 

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

No it wouldn’t lmao. This is utterly ridiculous. You’re inventing things to justify bringing Woodson back for another season. 

they work at a state university, they are. Despite what people like to believe when they talk about coaches’ salaries, though, they are only paid by the state whatever it is that someone of their educational level and tenure would make on the state’s salary schedule plus a stipend for time spent coaching football; this totals usually to less than $100K a year (often much less). Most of their salaries come from boosters, athletic department funds, shoe and equipment contracts, coaches’ TV and radio shows, and product endorsements

A response to the question “Are coaches state employees.”

Maybe you should know what you’re talking about before you laugh your @$$ right off…

And this has nothing to do with Woodson. It has to do with hiring Pearl with an agreement that his son would be the next head coach 

27 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

Steven Pearl hasn’t even been named coach in-waiting at Auburn. No chance Pearl takes the IU job under the hypothetical assumption his son gets the job when he calls it quits. 

1) I don’t think Pearl in a million years would want his son’s first HC gig to be at Indiana

2) Pearl worked his way up the hierarchy ladder to get to where he is today; I’m sure he’s had the same conversations with his son who is only 36

Where are people getting this idea that hiring Bruce Pearl comes with the condition of promoting his son once he retires?

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I think Cuban has been scheduled to be in Bloomington this weekend for a while since the Mavs play the Pacers this afternoon. But since he sold the Mavs he can be a better donor. Hopefully Dolson had lunch with him today or even better invited the Simons to join them also. But the Simons seem to be on the side of Quinn. They enjoy the party after the game with Woody.

My hunch is the team is smelly enough to force their hand the rest of the way

8 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

Isn’t nepotism exactly what is happening here with Buckner and Woody? 

For the record: I am 100% against promising a coach his son would take over. Not at IU. Bruce would have to know how ridiculous that would be. 

The difference being that Woodson was hired after there was an open search for a new coach 

13 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Steven Pearl hasn’t even been named coach in-waiting at Auburn. No chance Pearl takes the IU job under the hypothetical assumption his son gets the job when he calls it quits. 

1) I don’t think Pearl in a million years would want his son’s first HC gig to be at Indiana

2) Pearl worked his way up the hierarchy ladder to get to where he is today; I’m sure he’s had the same conversations with his son who is only 36

Where are people getting this idea that hiring Bruce Pearl comes with the condition of promoting his son once he retires?

Obfuscation ... nothing more, nothing less... they gotta build the straw man before they can tear it down.

4 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

they work at a state university, they are. Despite what people like to believe when they talk about coaches’ salaries, though, they are only paid by the state whatever it is that someone of their educational level and tenure would make on the state’s salary schedule plus a stipend for time spent coaching football; this totals usually to less than $100K a year (often much less). Most of their salaries come from boosters, athletic department funds, shoe and equipment contracts, coaches’ TV and radio shows, and product endorsements

Maybe you should know what you’re talking about before you laugh your @$$ right off…

And this has nothing to do with Woodson. It has to do with hiring Pearl with an agreement that his son would be the next head coach 

Coach Knight literally did this at Texas Tech with Pat. https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/news/story?id=2177867

10 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

Say IU has a ‘deal’ with Pearl to hire his son. They go through the interview process and hire Bruce’s son after Bruce retires. Which coaching candidate is going to ruin his coaching career by suing IU for not getting the job? 

I missed all those lawsuits when Texas Tech hired Pat Knight. 

11 minutes ago, steubenhoosier said:

The difference being that Woodson was hired after there was an open search for a new coach 

There was not.

The search settled on Stevens (with no fall-back position)... when Stevens (or his wife) said "NO", Dolson was left without an option and our old buddy Quinn stepped in... the rest is history... so, no, there was no search that selected Woodson... 

19 hours ago, steubenhoosier said:

Okay, Blind faith.

Don’t think anyone who had achieved a level of success that they could afford to contribute is the NIL initiative would have believed that CMW was going to “crap his pants.” 
I don’t know if Woodson is going to keep his job or not, but the level of vitriol in this thread towards anyone associated with our basketball program is pathetic. 

19 hours ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Ok then, defend him. What has Mike Woodson done to have earned another year running the Indiana Men's basketball program? Serious question... You say the board is full of vitriol, but you haven't refuted any of the arguments against his return... so, tell us why you think he deserves to try again.

Still waiting for your defense of Mike Woodson as head coach... unless you realize how indefensible that position is, and just choose to ignore my question...

The open search settled on Stevens (with no fall-back position)... when Steven ('s wife) said "NO", Dolson was left without an option and our old buddy Quinn stepped in... the rest is history... so, no, there was no search that selected Woodson... 
Exactly there was no search

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

But he did give him an unwarranted raise, IMO.  I know statics, and a trend isn’t two points, if he would have done at least as good or better this year, than we have a trend and you might give him the raise.  By giving him the raise, he’s compounded the issue and made the buyout even harder 

Are we sure that was discretionary and not part of the contract?  I don’t think we ever got that answer. 

Pardon my ignorance, but I'm curious: I'm almost certain that the hiring of a basketball coach would have to be approved by the president and BOT. But does Dolson need their approval to terminate one? Since he's the one primarily responsible for the athletic department, can he make that decision unilaterally? 

1 hour ago, coonhounds said:

Donors I kind of get but also dont understand. If you were donating money wouldn't you want the best available coach?

Billionaires and the 9 figure club aren’t sitting around reading message boards and looking at Kenpom. They may not even really care all that much.  They typically “have a guy” for each area of life like that. Could be giving money to colleges, a non profit, politics, etc… but this person is their intermediary that filters out everyone else.  

I know of one billionaire that drops millions on the whim of their “politics guy” who is a college drop out, politico wash-out. But for whatever reason they got the trust of this particular billionaire.   

Long story short: half these donors may not even really care all that much. They’re not necessarily like us whose entertainment for 60 hrs every winter is affected by IU basketball. They can do whatever…. And probably are. If the person giving them advice on iu basketball likes Buckner, then it doesn’t really matter.