Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

19 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

Here are all of the projections published as of Tuesday, October 25:

Official “unofficial” Big Ten media poll:

1. Indiana

2. Illinois

3. Michigan

4. Michigan State

5. Purdue

6. Ohio State

7. Iowa

8. Rutgers

9. Wisconsin

10. Maryland

11. Penn State

12. Minnesota

Preseason projections for the Big Ten continue to roll out and we’ve compiled many of the predicted order of finishes for the league. Of the nine projections tracked, Indiana is the favorite in seven and picked second twice.

-ADVERTISEMENT-

Here are all of the projections published as of Tuesday, October 25:

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

You get out of this thread with your facts! We need a snarky reply that adds nothing to the conversation… like this one!

2 hours ago, 8bucks said:

When we make our next coaching change what are your expectations for them in years 1,2 and 3?  

Not getting blown out in big games by years 2 and 3.  

You can focus on process or results. Neither have necessarily been there although if you view things in a vacuum the results of years 2 and 3 don’t seem that bad.  You should really have an eye on both.  

With that said, the roster construction looks like we’re poised to play small at least part of the team this year. That’s progress. Additional progress would be fixing the schematics with the defense.  

But it’s been said a million times and I agree: jobs like IU aren’t great places to learn on the job. And Woody might be making some baby steps, but why do we want a 66 year old coach who is still learning on the job?  

I want to like Woody—and still do to a certain extent—but I really don’t get the fans who are into defending a guy who is so obviously not the next great coach at IU. Well, the fans I maybe get but not the administrators. We do this every time…Davis, Crean, Archie, Woody…they’re such lovable guys…let’s give them more time…let’s blame the fans…let’s get the donors to pitch in…let’s do anything but cut our losses and admit we made a mistake! 

All it does is prolong the inevitable and lessen your chances at hiring the next good coach. But hey, who am I to argue with the IU admin.? I’ve never even ran a world class basketball program into the ground before. 

Will this work for you or is this nose pickers? 

https://www.insidethehall.com/2022/10/25/roundup-indiana-a-near-unanimous-pick-to-win-the-2022-23-big-ten-basketball-title/

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

I guess I could go all NHW, or whatever the dudes name is, and say it proves the opinion of "the experts" aren't really the experts they think, are they. They get paid and they're happy. And that, my nosey friend, is why they play the game. 

Sent from my SM-S906U using BtownBanners mobile app

37 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

I wouldn't say I want him to "crash and burn". He's just not a good coach and it's time to move on, doesn't matter where he played over 40 years ago.

Part of the reason I didn't want him, aside from just not being a remotely good option, was that unless he voluntarily walked away it was going to be a messy split. Well, he didn't and it's messy.

I want him gone after this upcoming season. If that means winning a national championship and he rides off into the sunset, great. If that means he crashes and burns his way out of the tournament field, great. Whatever result ends with Mike Woodson not being the head coach for the 2025/2026 season works for me. 

35 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Not getting blown out in big games by years 2 and 3.  

You can focus on process or results. Neither have necessarily been there although if you view things in a vacuum the results of years 2 and 3 don’t seem that bad.  You should really have an eye on both.  

With that said, the roster construction looks like we’re poised to play small at least part of the team this year. That’s progress. Additional progress would be fixing the schematics with the defense.  

But it’s been said a million times and I agree: jobs like IU aren’t great places to learn on the job. And Woody might be making some baby steps, but why do we want a 66 year old coach who is still learning on the job?  

I want to like Woody—and still do to a certain extent—but I really don’t get the fans who are into defending a guy who is so obviously not the next great coach at IU. Well, the fans I maybe get but not the administrators. We do this every time…Davis, Crean, Archie, Woody…they’re such lovable guys…let’s give them more time…let’s blame the fans…let’s get the donors to pitch in…let’s do anything but cut our losses and admit we made a mistake! 

All it does is prolong the inevitable and lessen your chances at hiring the next good coach. But hey, who am I to argue with the IU admin.? I’ve never even ran a world class basketball program into the ground before. 

I appreciate the response.  Was really wanting to hear from Aloha as he made the post and specifically wondered about his second point

"2nd - nowhere close to goals and off court embarrassment"

year 2, 2nd in BT and 4 seed in NCAAs certainly is not a championship but if that is not trending in the right way and getting close then I want to know what his standards are going to be for the next coach.  

And as for defending him, I just take issue with takes i find not accurate. I take issue with those and people who just attack him personally like he stole their kids bike.  

5 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I want him gone after this upcoming season. If that means winning a national championship and he rides off into the sunset, great. If that means he crashes and burns his way out of the tournament field, great. Whatever result ends with Mike Woodson not being the head coach for the 2025/2026 season works for me. 

He's not winning a national title, he's flat out not good enough. Watch it be somewhere between those two options, he underachieves but not so bad that it forces IU to make a move.

I appreciate the response.  Was really wanting to hear from Aloha as he made the post and specifically wondered about his second point
year 2, 2nd in BT and 4 seed in NCAAs certainly is not a championship but if that is not trending in the right way and getting close then I want to know what his standards are going to be for the next coach.  
And as for defending him, I just take issue with takes i find not accurate. I take issue with those and people who just attack him personally like he stole their kids bike.  
Some attack like MW dinged their wife.....those are the humorous ones.

9 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

He's not winning a national title, he's flat out not good enough. Watch it be somewhere between those two options, he underachieves but not so bad that it forces IU to make a move.

That’s really the worst case scenario (and also the most likely scenario). He does enough to keep his job given the University’s very low standards but not enough to satisfy anyone other than his most loyal disciples. 

22 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

What's not "accurate?"  

I’d love for IU to hang multiple banners this coming season and I’d still move on if a coach I thought could lead this program was available.

I’ve said from the beginning it’s not the W/L record but how you play the game. We didn’t make the corrections necessary from year 1 to year 2 and fell off a cliff in year 3. You greatly increase your chances by decreasing your mistakes. We look to increase our wins by increasing talent and ignoring all the fixable, fundamental mistakes (taking care of the ball, rebounding, free throws, etc.) while playing an outdated version of basketball.

I trust Woody to be the coach that could lose with his players and turnaround and lose with the players who just beat him. He’s mediocre and can only win with talent. He’s not a coach who will win by scheme or motivation. The motivation part goes back much further than Woody.

We need to have a standard for the coach at IU that’s higher than some affiliation decades ago. Until we set that standard we’ll continue to find reasons why a mediocre coach should remain the coach when we all know we need to move on.

6 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

That’s really the worst case scenario (and also the most likely scenario). He does enough to keep his job given the University’s very low standards but not enough to satisfy anyone other than his most loyal disciples. 

Yep. Really should've been done this year, now it just shows if they won't move on after this craptastic year they'll ride with him until he decides he's done; I'm sure his fan club loves that no matter what it means for the program.

13 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

Agreed.  I thought it was great that he kept TJD and the rest.  Go look at my posts -- I was pumping sunshine.  He was able to stop a "sinking ship."  And stabilized everything with year 2 of TJD.  Even year 3 had some promise -- decent incoming class, landing Ware from the portal.  But then he crashed and burned.  And when I looked at the future it, there was none.  HS recruiting was unsuccessful when after 3 years he should have had a good base.  The portal saved his butt player wise.  But there still really doesn't  appear to be any foundation going forward.    

I don’t disagree.  My argument was more with someone posting that the first two years were ‘failures’ when they really weren’t.  Year three was a bad year.

in terms of what has been his saving grace in recruiting, I’m fine with whatever works.

Why should next year be the judgement year? Shouldn’t every year be a judgement year?

1st - nowhere close to goals and off court embarrassment
2nd - nowhere close to goals and off court embarrassment
3rd - nowhere close to goals
4th - this is the judgement year..?

Nowhere close to goals =/= failure

Did we get close to winning the Big Ten regular season or tourney? Did we get close to winning a natty?

Mike Woodson is a mediocre coach who got and kept the head coaching job because he played at IU decades ago. It wasn’t a serious hire.

It’s possible for me to root and hope for IU to hang banners while understanding the above. I’m not telling anyone how they should root for their team. I do find it funny how some seem to have forgotten about the previous three years because we’ve cycled back to hanging a banner for winning the offseason.. again. Show me you can win something meaning besides an off-season bidding war with booster money. Understanding what doesn’t work, having the humility to admit it, and then working hard to correct would be a great start. After you reach a stated goal, do it again and again to prove you’re better than a mediocre coach. Until we get to that point I believe he’s earned his spot in the bottom half of the Big Ten coaching rankings.

A good way to judge a coach is to imagine them coaching at a rival school. Would anyone be worried about Woody coaching at pUKe or purdoodoo? I know I’d be ecstatic in that scenario.

5 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Did we get close to winning the Big Ten regular season or tourney? Did we get close to winning a natty?

Mike Woodson is a mediocre coach who got and kept the head coaching job because he played at IU decades ago. It wasn’t a serious hire.

It’s possible for me to root and hope for IU to hang banners while understanding the above. I’m not telling anyone how they should root for their team. I do find it funny how some seem to have forgotten about the previous three years because we’ve cycled back to hanging a banner for winning the offseason.. again. Show me you can win something meaning besides an off-season bidding war with booster money. Understanding what doesn’t work, having the humility to admit it, and then working hard to correct would be a great start. After you reach a stated goal, do it again and again to prove you’re better than a mediocre coach. Until we get to that point I believe he’s earned his spot in the bottom half of the Big Ten coaching rankings.

A good way to judge a coach is to imagine them coaching at a rival school. Would anyone be worried about Woody coaching at pUKe or purdoodoo? I know I’d be ecstatic in that scenario.

If/when he’s gone from IU there isn’t a serious school that would consider him for the job. But sunshine pumpers like to ignore that one.

Everyone in the country outside of some portion of the IU fan base can see this.

7 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

Given what just happened at Kentucky and Louisville in their coaching searches, I seriously have to wonder if we had any serious candidates interested.   Hopefully he can go on a little run with theses new guys and then step away gracefully.  

Given what just happened at Kentucky and Louisville in their coaching searches, I seriously have to wonder if we had any serious candidates interested.   Hopefully he can go on a little run with theses new guys and then step away gracefully.  
Something original (civil and insightful)......applause.

IMO Woodson can not/will not step away gracefully. Everything he does is wrapped in ego, hubris and bluster. “I did my job” when he finished 10-10 in the B1G and failed to make the NCAAT says it all.